Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
An Android-based Kindle tablet unveiled

BBC News - Amazon Kindle Fire to enter tablet computer market

$199 does not sound too bad assuming this is useful as a general purpose tablet; I might actually prefer 7" as more pocketable than 10".

09-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd like a reader for which I needn't buy subscriptions. I don't want to buy new books nor music. I don't wish to store media in 'the cloud'. I want to be able to connect the reader to my system, wired or wirelessly, and dump my files into the reader, and peruse them there. (For my CBR's I'd rather have a 10" or 12" screen.) Bezos is pushing this Kindle Fire as a service, not a product. I don't wish to be serviced. So I guess I'll wait.
09-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Can't beat the Touchpad on special.

Last edited by wlachan; 09-29-2011 at 01:45 PM.
09-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From what I understand the hardware is similar to the RIM Playbook but only 8 GB of storage and 512 MB of RAM. At a $199 price point they are losing money on each sale, they hope to make it up by selling subscriptions and content.

09-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'd like a reader for which I needn't buy subscriptions. I don't want to buy new books nor music. I don't wish to store media in 'the cloud'. I want to be able to connect the reader to my system, wired or wirelessly, and dump my files into the reader, and peruse them there. (For my CBR's I'd rather have a 10" or 12" screen.) Bezos is pushing this Kindle Fire as a service, not a product. I don't wish to be serviced. So I guess I'll wait.
Ownership of media has long been on its way out. Can't fight it, the battle's already lost. We are moving into the renting paradigm.
09-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Ownership of media has long been on its way out. Can't fight it, the battle's already lost. We are moving into the renting paradigm.
It doesn't work for new content, but this is one of the reasons I've been stocking up on music CDs from $1 discount bins. If it is an album that I want to own I'd much rather have a (relatively) hard copy that I can transfer to other devices than a soft copy with usage or platform restrictions. I haven't decided what I'll do if audio content becomes download or subscription only.
09-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Banned

Watch Apple come out with a smaller 7" iPad for $199 to sell content from the iTunes store . Also Apple is coming out with iCloud soon.
Apple - iCloud stores your content and pushes it to your devices.

Apple - iCloud - All your music on all your devices.
09-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Watch Apple come out with a smaller 7" iPad for $199 to sell content from the iTunes store .
Not gonna happen. That's what the iPod touch and Apple TV are for. An iPod touch with 3G is a possibility.

09-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Problem with that is, it's also a control paradigm. With censorship. Someone decides what you may or may not load onto your device -- or do you even own the device? Or an online library folds, it's contents evaporate, content you paid for vanishes. Nice. The cloud blows away. Sorry, such renting is for fools and slaves.
09-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Problem with that is, it's also a control paradigm. With censorship. Someone decides what you may or may not load onto your device -- or do you even own the device? Or an online library folds, it's contents evaporate, content you paid for vanishes. Nice. The cloud blows away. Sorry, such renting is for fools and slaves.
Didn't say I like it. Your concerns are all valid and realistic. I'm saying pretty soon none of us are going to have a choice.
09-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Didn't say I like it. Your concerns are all valid and realistic. I'm saying pretty soon none of us are going to have a choice.
Sure, there's a choice. Buy something else; don't support the bastards. Download PD and CC media; grab torrents. Throw away the slave collars. And if you can't get the media you want, make your own. Don't forget to smash your TV.

Last edited by RioRico; 09-29-2011 at 07:24 PM.
09-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another concern with this is the web-cache which is touted as a performance improvement, but which would also give Amazon a man-in-the-middle position to monitor one's browsing. That is, all web requests go to an Amazon server which then does the actual site access and returns the page components as a compressed chunk of data. One might (or might not) be able to opt-out from using that. Also one might (or might not) be able to use generic Android firmware on the device.

Wait (for the reviews, alternate firmwares (if any), offerings from others, ...) and see, I suppose. There are even cheaper Android tablets, but this is probably of a good overall quality with a decent battery life.

Last edited by jolepp; 09-30-2011 at 03:27 AM.
09-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

No way I want one and I want a good tablet bad, laugh. They get to look over your shoulder at what you put on your machine. All that space? You only get a small part of it to use for your own purposes. Your books are not really yours, DRM, don't you know, and they REALLY want you to pay for all of them with your Amazon account and whatever CC on file. (One click, they own you and the whole world likely knows your CC info, or at least anyone with good hacking skills on the same public Wi-Fi.) For $200-300 I can have a decent non-dedicated Android tablet. Anyone who thinks you have to pay $400 for one isn't looking at the many options out there, some on Amazon itself. There are better ones even, I think. I do like the e-ink option, backlit can be hard on the eyes, but not enough to buy one of these....
09-30-2011, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

09-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thx Boris