Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
while I will not apologize for the position I hold, if something I said or the way I said it insulted you or prompted your withdrawal from the dialog, I apologize and ask you to reconsider. The fact that we find your position unfathomable does not mean it does not have a place in the discussion so I ask you to re-engage...
Mike
That is a class statement Mike.
All of us get offended at times about a reply in this forum that disagrees with us or that we may feel is a little harsher than it should be concerning our selected position.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to remind us all that this is simply a discussion forum and deals with sometimes passionate and volatile things and that all are welcome and encouraged to partake and contribute their opinions.

10-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are some subjects which are so personal to me that I simply cannot discuss them in a public forum without feeling terrible. I think we all have those areas, and we may not want to debate them on a discussion board.
10-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I agree with Gene. There are discussions here I read but do not get involved in simply because I seriously doubt that anyone's mind will be changed, and only anger someone in the process. I tend to be middle of the road as far as liberal or conservative goes. I am liberal on some things and conservative on others. Tho more conservative than liberal. Oh yeah everybody pretty much ticks me off. plus I have an innate ability to really p*** people off. "sometimes" I feel bad about that. So it's probably better for me to remain on the side lines in most discussions here.
10-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It's like i never left, this place is awesome!

10-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
haha, its always better with you around mate.
10-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #21
Site Supporter

WB Gooshin.................
Feel free to re-join the fray!
10-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
You were gone?

10-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

i'm doing more journalism courses and i figure this is a good place to catch some decent conversations

it's amazing how bland the minds of my classmates are (granted i'm about 4-5 years senior), but whenever the teacher asks a question, the class remains silent, and many times i feel like i'm just having a two person conversation.

a critical mind needs good exercise!
10-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sorry I haven't answered this in a couple of days. I'm not avoiding the subject I'm not feeling all that well. I've had a bad sinus infection it seems forever and it's really been a problem the past week. On top of that I am now nursing two sick animals and dealing with the usual day to day routine of taking care of some elderly members of my family so things are more than a little crazy right now. You all may not see me a a lot until I can get the situation here back to normal. I just don't have much time for anything else right now, k?

10-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Sorry I haven't answered this in a couple of days. I'm not avoiding the subject I'm not feeling all that well. I've had a bad sinus infection it seems forever and it's really been a problem the past week. On top of that I am now nursing two sick animals and dealing with the usual day to day routine of taking care of some elderly members of my family so things are more than a little crazy right now. You all may not see me a a lot until I can get the situation here back to normal. I just don't have much time for anything else right now, k?

I hope all goes well for you. It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate - if letting off some steam here will help just scream all you want!

Good luck,
Dave
10-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #26
Veteran Member

You know I thought I was in the middle of the liberal side of the spectrum compared to most of you. But now I am beginning to realize that I am far more conservative than many people around here and clearly some people around here don't like me much for that.
I wonder If this thinking in terms of a political continuum , by all of us, isn't the cause of a lot of misunderstanding. I think for most real people we don't fit neatly on some point along a spectrum but are all over the place depending on the issue.

I know for myself, for instance, when it comes to economic and environmental issues I'm very much a man of the left but when it comes to public education and immigration I think the position of those on the right often have a lot of merit.

This simple-minded pigeon holing of people politically can be very damaging, and often does violence to reality, if you don't have a very thick skin.

Last edited by wildman; 10-04-2011 at 03:05 AM.
10-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

To this day when the words left and right are being thrown around they don't connect in my head, no matter how many definitions I read the associations don't link in my mind.

almost like when someone asks you what time it is and if you look at an analog watch you can't seem to figure out what time it is :/

people get so hung up on the labels that they will inevitably be caught contradicting themselves at some point, which only makes matters worse

so better to just speak your mind and not represent any one party or ideal, that's just extremism
10-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #28
Site Supporter

I suppose it is hard to see the world from a pigeon hole.
10-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Right and left in politics should refer to how you generally view the world, not for each and every specific issue and certainly not how you view others. Is some one of a certain political point of view a harder worker, more honest, cares more for his cat then some one of the other point of view and are you more honest only some of the times if you are a social conservative and a fiscal liberal or any other combination?

Having taken and taught classes with some more 'mature' (read older) it is always better to have some of them in a class, not only do they have more life experiences but are much less afraid to make comments. Often it is not that the younger students know nothing but are afraid of saying something that others think sounds stupid hence the silence.
10-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #30
Inactive Account

You all may not see me a a lot until I can get the situation here back to normal. I just don't have much time for anything else right now, k?
Hey hope all begins to turn upwards real soon.
Being under the weather and having to care for either/both sick pets and /or family is a real pain.
It is a cliché but "take one day at a time".
Hope you are back 100 % soon and join us on all of the forums here again.
Take care,
TomK
Closed Thread