Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Right and left in politics should refer to how you generally view the world, not for each and every specific issue and certainly not how you view others. Is some one of a certain political point of view a harder worker, more honest, cares more for his cat then some one of the other point of view and are you more honest only some of the times if you are a social conservative and a fiscal liberal or any other combination?
Very well said !
For myself, if I am in a conversation with someone (or a small group) and someone starts to throw out the labels of "left" or "right" or the two I hate the most "LIBERAL" and "CONSERVATIVE", I figure they have nothing more to say and are now just resorting to arbitrary labels as arguments. I am outta there at that point.
Note: I am talking about those words as labels.
Yes, of course I realize that when they are used to describe a position or general political philosophy they are valid. Of course that I listen to.
It is when people use labels as a weapon and as a final argument that it really turns me off.
Note to our Canadian friends - we do not have a Liberal or Conservative party in New Jersey USA. Our governor is called a Conservative but in fact he is a Republican.
I do understand the terms in Canada usually refer to parties.
(Listening to the news on CHML Hamilton can be a learning experience at times.)

10-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
Very well said !
For myself, if I am in a conversation with someone (or a small group) and someone starts to throw out the labels of "left" or "right" or the two I hate the most "LIBERAL" and "CONSERVATIVE", I figure they have nothing more to say and are now just resorting to arbitrary labels as arguments. I am outta there at that point.
Note: I am talking about those words as labels.
Yes, of course I realize that when they are used to describe a position or general political philosophy they are valid. Of course that I listen to.
It is when people use labels as a weapon and as a final argument that it really turns me off.
Note to our Canadian friends - we do not have a Liberal or Conservative party in New Jersey USA. Our governor is called a Conservative but in fact he is a Republican.
I do understand the terms in Canada usually refer to parties.
(Listening to the news on CHML Hamilton can be a learning experience at times.)
You might also realize the in Canada the American term Rububican means conservative and the term Democrat means only slightly less conservative. We have also had Social Credit party and Reform party that are conservative and some provinces have their very own parties such as the Saskatchewan or Yukon party adn we once were governed by the United Farmers of Alberta which was a left of centre party but now sells bulk fuel and work gloves.

We use capital or small letter c/C or l/L when referring to idealogy or Party.
10-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #33
Inactive Account

You might also realize the in Canada - - -
Thank you.
I now have a major headache.
Then again, I am a Boston Red Sox fan so I am not too bright anyway.
10-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
but are afraid of saying something that others think sounds stupid
I've never been accused of that.
Kelly I hope things get better for you soon

10-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
Thank you.
I now have a major headache.
Then again, I am a Boston Red Sox fan so I am not too bright anyway.
Switch to hockey and become a Leaf fan and show how bright you actually really are
Closed Thread