Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Floor waxes....

Random place for a random question, but it's a pretty random little problem. My new digs have a kind-of-institutional-linoleum tile floor that's gotten a little thirsty in the surface. I've been thinking I might just apply something to save more scrubbing later. Only problem is that the first thing I thought of to go get is something I'm not sure I've actually *seen* since 1982. (It was also made by the people who brought us Bhopal, so I'm not all that nostalgic in this case. Greener would probably be better.) Just sort of wondering if anyone knows of a good thing for the purpose. Does not have to be tremendously-shiny or anything. But this Georgia red soil that makes me go, 'Ye Gods, the topsoil's gone!' (Actually, I'm not so sure 'Georgia red soil' isn't just rebranding, 'Yeah, the topsoil's actually gone, ' but hey,) it does get into surfaces.

10-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd recall SC Johnson's floor wax products having been good. Trying to look them up (Google) left me with the impression that these are sold under the "Pledge" brand these days. I'd further recall that there was some sort of a special cleaner / primer which would help to get old wax etc. off the floor for best results, that is, with this the new wax should really stick and last (and shine ).
10-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you are really serious about it you need a thing called "sealing wax". Its the stuff used by hospitals for instance. It's not really wax but some kind of poly I believe.

The down side is that you would have to get it from a real janitorial supply house and it requires a final power buffing. The up side is that it would probably last for a few years or more in a domestic environment.
10-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have commercial vinyl tile in a couple of properties. To strip the floor prior to applying wax I just use a $1 bottle of Parson's Sudsy Ammonia which can be bought about anywhere.

Mixed 3 parts water to one part soap it will remove all and leave a nice, dull, clean surface. You can pay more and get a better smelling product if the smell bothers you.

10-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Misinterpreted song

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
"sealing wax"
Based on the lyrics of the then-popular song "Puff the Magic Dragon" I sadly assumed
I led a deprived childhood - I lived in a home where no one ever waxed the ceiling.

Chris
10-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hee, thanks, guys. Don't think I'll be going so far as to try and rent a floor-buffer, though it's a little tempting. I think I may have to just go shopping, ...maybe the Johnson stuff will work, I think I had some of that years ago.

I definitely think this is going to need another going-over, at least.
10-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Read that tiny little print on the back of the wax bottle, thin multiple coats make for a better shine and last longer.

The liquid wax products sold for home use tend to shine without buffing. Some commercial waxes claim to.

Paste wax, used on floor, always requires a buffing. Paste wax is not compatible with modern uethrane finishes.

10-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey, hey, hey, calm down, you two. New Shimmer is both a floor wax and a dessert topping! Here, I'll spray some on your mop...mmmm, butterscotch!

Jason
10-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Read that tiny little print on the back of the wax bottle, thin multiple coats make for a better shine and last longer.

The liquid wax products sold for home use tend to shine without buffing. Some commercial waxes claim to.

Paste wax, used on floor, always requires a buffing. Paste wax is not compatible with modern uethrane finishes.
Yeah, I had liquid in mind, though. As much as I actually like to polish things, this doesn't so much apply to doing it on hands and knees. Actually, it looks OK being dullish, this floor, so I'm not going for like turbo-shiny anyway: I'd just like to even it out and make it easier to keep clean. It does seem a little porous in places. Beats the no-wax floor I had in the last place, though: that was torture to even try to keep clean.

And... I totally forgot to look at what they had at the home center yesterday. I was really tired and had a lot of different little things to pick out. (Gotta love home center gift cards: my sweetie gets them as credit card incentives, and I can be relatively worry-free spending on projects and my often-struggling sense of houseproudness. ) But I go there relatively-often, and I usually pass it when I do other errands, so I guess that's OK. I suppose I brought home enough projects for the day, anyway, making this place more snug for the winter and a bit more civilized to visit.

(It's winterizin' time: especially my first winter in a place, there's always a lot of draft-controlling to do. Doors that aren't square to their frames are always a big pain to try and weatherstrip. I rather wish the copper stuff weren't so expensive, these days. )
10-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I lived in a home where no one ever waxed the ceiling.
Perhaps not but I swear my wife would if she could.
10-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little long winded but seems fairly comprehensive. I have a an issue with hardwood floors which previous tenants seems to have wrecked, and a property manager who keeps bitching about the state of the floor.
Future Floor Wax - SlotForum
10-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Based on the lyrics of the then-popular song "Puff the Magic Dragon" I sadly assumed
I led a deprived childhood - I lived in a home where no one ever waxed the ceiling.

Chris
Too bad my grandma isn't still alive. I could introduce you to a woman who mopped her ceilings once a month. Would not have surprised me if she waxed them, too.
RML, if you get something that needs buffing a bit, one of those mops that has the ends made out of the Handi-Wipe material works great for that. I've used one before when I used to wax the floor on rare occasions.
10-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Apparently the good Johnson stuff is sold as "Pledge with Future Shine" in the US these days. (edit: Silly of them to sell it under a different brand in just about every country ?).

Last edited by jolepp; 10-07-2011 at 02:45 AM.
10-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yeah, I had liquid in mind, though. As much as I actually like to polish things, this doesn't so much apply to doing it on hands and knees. Actually, it looks OK being dullish, this floor, so I'm not going for like turbo-shiny anyway: I'd just like to even it out and make it easier to keep clean. It does seem a little porous in places. Beats the no-wax floor I had in the last place, though: that was torture to even try to keep clean.

I usually do get down on my hands and knees for the stripping part because there always seems to be a few spots that need a greenie. Keep in mind I am cleaning a floor that was lucky if it was swept twice in the year+ that the folks lived there.

The wax is always applied with a cheap sponge mop, very clean or new preferred.
10-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We always used Murphy's Oil Soap in a bucket with water to get all the built up crap from previous wax jobs off there, then a good floor wax after that. Seemed to work very well actually.