Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pacific Northwest Was Hammered

Some weather reporters are terming it a category one hurricane. Here on the Oregon coast we were hammered pretty badly by a fierce windstorm last weekend which knocked out our power grid, leveled a number of trees, crushed a few vehicles and tore apart several houses. I've only just regained power today but hopefully will have a few images to post soon. Best wishes to others (especially a few posters from Tillamook) who suffered along with us.

12-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
Some weather reporters are terming it a category one hurricane.
Wow, that would have to be extremely rare up there, right? Hope everyone is okay; nevertheless, looking forward to seeing some of your pics!
12-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear that James. How did Manzanita get on?
Hope the clean up is not too heart breaking.
12-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

In WA state - the Chehalis river was 75 feet over flood stage. Closed I-5 down between Seattle and Portland from Monday (when the river was over the top of the interstate overpasses) until last night (Friday).

The city of Aberdeen on the WA coast was completely cut off due to flooding (it is the mouth of the Chehalis river) and trees being knocked down by winds that peaked at 125 mph (category 3 hurricane). Now, it is not like we are not really used to getting a lot of water - but 5 inches in 24 hours after 3 straigth days of .35 to .75 inches is just more water that the good earth can soak up. This is the second year in a row (I was in NZ last year so I missed it, but my son was without power for 3 days and we had a 80 ft Douglas Fir come down) that the "Pineapple Express" has hit us in Dec. (The Pineapple express is when the jet stream pumps air directly from Hawaii to the NW coast - it looks like a straight band of clouds pointed at the OR-WA boarder).

I went to the Lake Quinault Lodge for Thanksgiving (in the US - the third Thursday of Nov Lake Quinault Lodge, Olympic National Forest, WA ) and they had just over 10 feet of water marked on the side of their rain gauge. The coast along the pennisula is the wettest spot in the continental US.
Take a look here:
Olympic National Park - Road Conditions and Closures (U.S. National Park Service)
roads are still closed and may be closed for some time in the Park and its surroundings.

The small town where my post office originates had several new (less than 5 years old) appartments whose first 2 floors were under water. The highways were closed and it took me 4.5 hours to get home (because I did not hear the highway was closed until after I was on it) and I live 12 miles from work.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

12-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

My best wishes of safety to all...My son is at present on a Cruise around Hawai and then a three week tour Florida and some parts of America...
12-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish everyone well. Having gone through hurricane Juan a few years ago (Force 2 bordered on 3 for a while) I know how rough this can be. Here we lost countless homes, a few casualities and over a million trees. Halifax will take 50 years to look the same.

Good luck to all.
12-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My son, daughter-in-law, and grandson live in Tumwater (think Olympia), WA and he works in Shelton. He told me that on his way to work on the worst day (think it was Wed.?) he was driving up 101 toward Shelton and the authorities made him turn back because the road was closed. About a 1/2 mile after he turned around, a tree with huge roots floated across the highway right in front of him. Fortunately, he was OK and made it home safely. I feel sorry for those good people that lost so much.

12-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I heard that it was pretty bad there, but I never knew it was that bad.

It's good to see that your safe and posting again.