Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a full blown fetish among those I know.

The NRA is run by a bunch of loony toons. No doubt about it.
Lot's of pure propaganda and Alex Jones kind of stuff.

I just wonder when they will actually use them to protect the rest of our liberties.
You know something that takes serious courage and honor.
I'll admit, I don't remember them all, but there seems to be more to the constitution then the second amendment.
The first one has been getting tromped on for years, and not the slightest whimper from them, let alone action.
I fear in the end that they haven't the foggiest idea where to point them, unless it's at an "other".
Their complaint is aimed at the poor, not at the system that has created them.
A system that has become as corrupt as any other criminal.
A system that creates even more criminals to blame, while the system becomes even more corrupt.

They are effectively blinded by propaganda.
Won't even accept that it is propaganda.
I no longer trust their aim.

10-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about if/when others follow suit?

QuoteQuote:
If China, for instance, sends killer drones into Kazakhstan to hunt minority Uighur Muslims it accuses of plotting terrorism, what will the United States say? What if India uses remotely controlled craft to hit terrorism suspects in Kashmir, or Russia sends drones after militants in the Caucasus? American officials who protest will likely find their own example thrown back at them.
(http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/sunday-review/coming-soon-the-drone-arms-race.html)
10-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
pretty certain that you don't get it
I get it fine Wheat. You speak in defence of a man who is in large part responsible
for the deaths of 3000 fellow citizens of my country.Your hate has manifested
and is apparent to us in my own community.
As I typed before,Ill lose this argument in this forum.This thread sustains that.
Its outside this forum were the stength in numbers exist to overcome the
hate you express for my countrymen and I. Keep it going wheat,your doing fine.
10-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Think for a minute about the millions of our own citizens wallstreet has killed, with full impunity.
Encouragement even.

Last edited by shooz; 10-09-2011 at 03:10 PM.
10-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
I get it fine Wheat. You speak in defence of a man who is in large part responsible
for the deaths of 3000 fellow citizens of my country.Your hate has manifested
and is apparent to us in my own community.
As I typed before,Ill lose this argument in this forum.This thread sustains that.
Its outside this forum were the stength in numbers exist to overcome the
hate you express for my countrymen and I. Keep it going wheat,your doing fine.
Err, a couple of dozen of my countrymen died at the WTC. You seem to think that only America suffered a loss.
Or do you count Canada as part of your country?
Hubris upon hubris. Your ego knows no bounds.
You take a lot onto yourself for someone who really doesn't know anything about me.
I'm merely questioning why you think you have the right to take the law into your own hands. Why are you so tied up with your own ego that as soon as someone challenges your wrong thinking that it's all about hating the USA?
You rail against the Muslim terrorists for taking the law into their own hands, and yet you show yourself to be no better than they are.
10-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Or do you count Canada as part of your country?
Bill, there's some truth to that, and I mean that respectfully. We, Americans, don't generally think of Canada as a "foreign" country. That's not to say that we don't recognize and respect your sovereignty; we just don't dwell on the fact that there is a border between us. Until I joined this forum I didn't realize that it wasn't reciprocal.
10-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Fair enough Jim. Because of the massive difference in size (not geographical, but most every other metric) we are always very aware of that border.

10-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
It is probably happening as we speak (with lower technology) with or without American examples. Until there is an effective world organization to deal with this sort of thing, countries will be in the war mode.
10-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #39
Veteran Member

There was a funny bit on Bill Maher... pre SJ death
HBO: Real Time with Bill Maher: Ep. 226 September 30, 2011: New Rules
10-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RML,

Are you telling us that in some places it is illegal to carry a cane? Would this apply to those with a gimpy leg, or would one need a handicapped sticker of some sort?

I wonder if a short kid-sized baseball bat would be okay. Or, a Manfrotto monopod. Seriously, it would make a fine defensive weapon; no one ever heard of a drive-by shooting with a cane or a ball bat or a monopod.

I have no brief against firearms; I shot competitive target in college (and was briefly a member of the NRA before they went wonky) and I've done a bit of hunting. But much of the current flap is absurd. Who in H*** really needs an AR-15? I remember seeing an ad in The American Rifleman, the NRA's once-worthy mag, for a 25mm tripod mounted belt-fed anti-tank gun, ammunition sold separately. The ad said it was no longer full automatic, but any competent, unethical gunsmith could remedy that small problem. Just the thing for that inconsiderate neighbor who mows his lawn too early for your tender tastes.

Here's a thought. Why don't the Supremes who are originalists in terms of interpreting the US Constitution - Scalia, are you listing? - consider what sort of arms the founders were speaking of. I'd imagine flintlocks, swords, daggers, pikes - 18th century hardware. Not a Glock, S & W or Uzi available then. I'll bet those folk wouldn't want the average swinging d*** (sorry!) sporting the sort of firepower that the NRA et al feel we all need.

Enough. Time for my afternoon meds; its too early for a double Martini.
10-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
RML,

Are you telling us that in some places it is illegal to carry a cane? Would this apply to those with a gimpy leg, or would one need a handicapped sticker of some sort?

Interestingly, especially in the most gun-happy states, it can be so.

QuoteQuote:
I wonder if a short kid-sized baseball bat would be okay. Or, a Manfrotto monopod. Seriously, it would make a fine defensive weapon; no one ever heard of a drive-by shooting with a cane or a ball bat or a monopod.

That's kind of the point.

QuoteQuote:
I have no brief against firearms; I shot competitive target in college (and was briefly a member of the NRA before they went wonky) and I've done a bit of hunting. But much of the current flap is absurd. Who in H*** really needs an AR-15? I remember seeing an ad in The American Rifleman, the NRA's once-worthy mag, for a 25mm tripod mounted belt-fed anti-tank gun, ammunition sold separately. The ad said it was no longer full automatic, but any competent, unethical gunsmith could remedy that small problem. Just the thing for that inconsiderate neighbor who mows his lawn too early for your tender tastes.

Here's a thought. Why don't the Supremes who are originalists in terms of interpreting the US Constitution - Scalia, are you listing? - consider what sort of arms the founders were speaking of. I'd imagine flintlocks, swords, daggers, pikes - 18th century hardware. Not a Glock, S & W or Uzi available then. I'll bet those folk wouldn't want the average swinging d*** (sorry!) sporting the sort of firepower that the NRA et al feel we all need.

Enough. Time for my afternoon meds; its too early for a double Martini.

Also probably the point, too. Yes, control-freaks fetishize weapons politically. Also try to make it a wedge issue where any 'compromise' is really the most impractical thing to piss off the right-wing 'base' with.... as well as ordinary folks who just want practical firearms for various purposes.

Not quite sure who you intend most to satirize, but I'm not what you'd call a pacifist. Actually, I'd always loved the dance of blades for what it was, but I think I just saw one too many people bleeding for stupid shit to ever *really* want to pick that stuff up again. And I *do* know that all along, there's been people wanting to sell guns and fancy knives that claim to be for the 'Second Amendment' but also want to say 'You can't have a stick, you need a gun, or maybe a fancy knife. ' ...ie ...harrass poor people, sell guns and maybe knives, when, you know, a stick is enough to ensure gentility, deter aggression, and at need, function defensively. You can't really defend with a knife or gun. Only threaten or counterattack.

Sticks, you can defend with.

I also almost always carry a very nice little Benchmade someone gave me that I'd probably never open in a fight, (especially not with my arthritis) but has a nice shape for the kind of compliance moves I once learned.

People don't ask if you need a gun, never mind one with a thirty round magazine to *walk,* but they *do* in fact hassle people (even 'cripples') if they feel like it. Even in Texas. If they feel like it. )

A lot of this is about certain ideas of 'threat' and machismo, and certain sellings of ideas that anyone who comes to a city needs to be strapped like Rambo to walk where my grandmother always did... (But of course LGBT people aren't routinely harmed/threatened.)

I dunno. For me, I'm sick of seeing people bleed. And I always preferred an ASP baton over pointeys, if it came down to it. (And to be honest, the fact that they don't search girls so much meant I was willing to risk breaking the law to carry one rather than risk cutting someone someone with a 'legal' knife. )

But I've been among groups of people ...in Texas, (my first night there) where we were detained for hours cause I was with someone walking with a cane and I myself was detained for a couple of hours for wearing a pentacle. Appears someone had told their supervisor that there was some manner of 'Occult gang' activity' about people touring their fair city in the company of someone walking with a cane.

Meanwhile they scream 'Oppression' if you can't buy a fifty round pistol magazine to shoot Gabby Giffords and anyone else may be standing around, with. You know, on the way to the massacre. Whatever.

Can't say I haven't been scared enough in my times down south, particularly by the hate-rhetoric, to want a gun. Frankly, though, it all disgusts me. And as the haters go, come down to it, I might rather spit on them than shoot them. Certainly I'd sooner crack their crowns than clean a sword. And it's kind of a thing about swords and guns, no one gets takesies-backsies, and I don't think anyone's particularly thinking straight these days.

Anyway, I dunno about some of this stuff: it's always been fairly high on RML's ' list of 'Rules to live By' that 'The Bad Guys Always Bring Plenty Of Weapons.' But if I were to think abut it too much, I might want a little revolver. Getting to feel like an old lady here. Whatever.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-10-2011 at 06:12 PM.
10-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I'm merely questioning why you think you have the right to take the law into your own hands. Why are you so tied up with your own ego that as soon as someone challenges your wrong thinking that it's all about hating the USA?

Seemingly another sensationalistic thread started and sustained by a Mr.Riley & friend.In my opinion,only reason
being to incite and inflame people into joining and giving their 2 cents worth.All for the percieved reason of
generating revenue for this site. Dont show weakness now wheat.There are some angry people here,outside this forum.

Government hit drones circling the globe,looking for innocent victims.Yeah right wheat,just keep in mind
that next government drone you hear,might be your last.Better live it up now.Later might be sooner than you think.
I Sleep alot better knowing that the beast that called himself a citizen brother,the wretch that wanted
to kill my grandaughter is dead.No problems here,my conscience is clear.
10-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Seemingly another sensationalistic thread started and sustained by a Mr.Riley & friend.In my opinion,only reason
being to incite and inflame people into joining and giving their 2 cents worth.All for the percieved reason of
generating revenue for this site. Dont show weakness now wheat.There are some angry people here,outside this forum.
Yep. Adam is getting filthy rich off of people joining the forum just to bray about what a crappy country the U.S. is. As Moderators we facilitate that because the number of new dissidents we recruit determines the size of our Christmas Winter Solstice Celebration bonuses.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-11-2011 at 11:31 AM.
10-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #44
Site Supporter

I heard you guys get paid in cut rate 2gig SD cards, while Adam hides the money in Canikon stocks.

Long live King Adam!
10-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

No problems here,my conscience is clear.
To have a clear conscience requires having one in the first place. Your insistence that you have a right to take the law into your own hands indicates this might be a quality lacking in your make up.
I'm not sure where you figure making veiled threats against forum members is the right thing to do, but I will say there are some people who should have been in the WTC when it went down, and with your attitude, you should have been one of them.