10-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pair in hospital after Kismot 'killer' curry contest

BBC News - Pair in hospital after Kismot 'killer' curry contest

10-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't see that the owner did anything wrong, he had medics on hand. These people should have known better. They had to sign a disclaimer for a reason. Sounds like the college student did it on a whim. Fun story though!
10-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Some people thrive on culinary heat. Some can't stand the heat. If you don't know what capsicum can do do you, don't inhale and don't swallow. I fried a fresh jalapeņo yesterday that left a tear-jerking cloud in the house for hours.

Awhile back, my favourite purveyor of pickled peppers (Mezzetta) had released jars of habaņeros. I bought one. I made a sandwich. I ate half the sandwich. With mouth full of stuff, I ate a pepper. I felt slightly warm, nothing more, no pain, no problem. Then I passed out. I woke up on the floor, still no burn, no pain, but I'd been unconscious. Good stuff!! Cheap high!!

Last edited by RioRico; 10-07-2011 at 01:51 AM.
10-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #4

I live in Edinburgh and visited last year. A couple of my friends tried the Kismot Killer and I have to say I'm not surprised at all that some folk were hospitalised, especially since it was made extra hot.

10-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ow. I like things a lot hotter than most, but I think I hit my limit around where people start having competitions about it.

I make quite a firehouse chili, though, and some pretty serious curry, if people are in the mood.

I think going overboard can often just ruin the flavor, so I like to use lots of mild-to-moderate chilies and then just punch it up with a bit of the very-hot hots. I like to use poblano and chipotle, then add some stuff I get at the Indian market. Last years' gardening was hard, mostly all we got was a *ton* of jalapenos, with which I gave myself minor chemical burns on one occasion.

(Though there's a place in town I know that makes quite a habanero sauce. Whoo. Run by a very nice lady, too. )
10-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hot&spicy with an afterburner effect is great IMO, say, in a chili, chinese food, kebab, some of jalapeno slices to spice up a sandwich or maybe a liberal application of a mild chili sauce such as (preferably green) Tabasco to a pizza . Even without hard core stuff like habaneros or piri piri it is easy to take to an extreme, where it just hurts .

Last edited by jolepp; 10-07-2011 at 12:26 AM.
10-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think these eating contests are dumb and dangerous, period. That being said one tiny bit of regular curry can get me so sick I can't even see straight. Ditto certain hot peppers. I seem to be very intolerant of very spicy foods lately particularly things that have peppers or curry type spice mixes in them. I made chili the other day and it wasn't even hardly hot and yet I got a migraine right after eating it and broke out in hives.

People don't realize it but you can have allergic reactions to spices and such and it can happen unexpectedly after years of tolerating them well too. Curry, particularly hot curry, it's not a mix some people can eat. To have an eating contest with that shows someone didn't do their homework. There are a lot of things you can probably eat in a large quantity and only walk away feel uncomfortable over them but strong things like peppers and curry, not one of them. The body can only take so much of that. Hot peppers, curries, they cause a physical reaction to them that goes way beyond the mouth. That much curry something was bound to happen even to those not allergic.

10-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

We eat hot stuff: peppers (fresh or dried or infused), horseradish|wasabi and other mustards, pepper (from the tree), cinnamon bark, those are the more prominent I can think of right now. An overload of garlic burns too. Why consume this stuff? FOR THE PAIN!! This stuff BURNS the tongue, the mouth; and when the body feels the pain, it pumps out some painkillers, natural opiates. IT'S A RUSH!! Yes, it can be addictive. I know a couple folks who won't eat anything that's not hot enough -- capsicum junkies. Hay kid! Try this! First one is free!
10-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I must say habaņeros are my fav's but only one at a time and not too large.They pack enormous heat and it lingers till the next day
and I love em
cheers
10-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #10

I bought some of this the other day:
Mr Pickles - MAD (Powered by CubeCart)
The guy selling it had a stall where to see what it was like you were supposed to use a toothpick to pick up a tiny smear of the sauce, wipe the toothpick on a piece of bread, and then eat the bread. Rather ill-advisedly my wife and I skipped the bread part - then noticed that lips, gums and tongue had all gone numb - talking became difficult. 12 million Scovilles is good - we bought a bottle straight away!

At first it was a case of using a tiny smear in cooking, but after a while that became a blob
10-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
We eat hot stuff: peppers (fresh or dried or infused), horseradish|wasabi and other mustards, pepper (from the tree), cinnamon bark, those are the more prominent I can think of right now. An overload of garlic burns too. Why consume this stuff? FOR THE PAIN!! This stuff BURNS the tongue, the mouth; and when the body feels the pain, it pumps out some painkillers, natural opiates. IT'S A RUSH!! Yes, it can be addictive. I know a couple folks who won't eat anything that's not hot enough -- capsicum junkies. Hay kid! Try this! First one is free!
There are endorphins involved, but there are diminishing returns when it comes to doing damage to yourself.

For instance, there's kind of a peak to how much capsicum can hurt you even if it's actually doing more damage. I used to carry a little can of OC safety-pinned to the lining inside my jacket where I could just tear it out of there if I needed, and there's kind of a thing about that where no matter how tolerant people are of it, if you get right in someone's face and pour it on, it'll do. Culinary delights aside, there's such a thing as tolerance. But here *is* such a thing as burning out your taste buds. (or other mucus membranes) Part of the art of it is to *not* do that.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-07-2011 at 04:56 PM.
10-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I had a pal in my 20's who swore by eating jalapenos and hot and sour Chinese soup for cleaning out her sinuses. My one roommate put hot sauce on darned near everything including fruit and cookies. I must admit I thought about it the other day myself as my sinuses were so completely messed up I could barely see. In the end I took the pills though rather than grabbing for hot peppers. When it comes to peppers and hot sauce some people are just masochists, and I am apparently not! That story about the kid who's mom used hot sauce to discipline them and got arrested for it? That was my Mom 30 years ago. One drop of that stuff was enough to make me promise not swear again for months, lol.