Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
William F Buckley is probably rolling over in his grave.

10-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Pawlenty was bit scarey himself in policy........ but he's right partially (as usual) or i'm misunderstanding that quote but......

that even if they win, WE lose, maybe big time.
I was hearing it second-hand, but I think Pawlenty was talking about the Republicans, that even if they win the election with someone like Perry or Cain or Bachmann, that they will do more damage to their party than good over the long term (meaning, probably, enough election cycles to affect his next run for pres in 2020 after a Repub win in 2012.)

I don't think Pawlenty thinks or cares too much about the country at large beyond of his own prospects, but even within this myopic view, he saw the scariness of the top-tier candidates.
10-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In last night's debate, Cain sounded even less like he knew what he was talking about. Apparently, his 999 plan was vetted by a personal financial adviser as his "expert."

BTW, it seems Newt Gingrich has only one solution for any political rival--criminal prosecution. He is now calling for the prosecution of Barney Frank and Chris Dodd.

This morning on Chuck Todd's show, he was an affable picture of ignorance. When asked why he assured people as late as 2 weeks before the crash that investments were safe, he said he made a mistake as an individual, but he will have experts to help him as president. On his 999 plan (called a 666 plan by Bachmann), he claimed that a family of 4 earning $50k was already paying 10% in federal payroll and income taxes, and the 999 plan would have them paying less. Aside from the fact that the right has drilled home the assertion that this family would pay no FIT, leaving only 7.65%, it is hard to work the math on that. If they pay 9% FIT (payroll inclusive) and then pay 9% on what they spend, it would seem like the family would pay a good deal more.

Last edited by GeneV; 10-12-2011 at 07:06 AM.
10-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I was hearing it second-hand, but I think Pawlenty was talking about the Republicans, that even if they win the election with someone like Perry or Cain or Bachmann, that they will do more damage to their party than good over the long term (meaning, probably, enough election cycles to affect his next run for pres in 2020 after a Repub win in 2012.)
I wouldn't be worried about what these jackasses will damage within their political party. I'd be more worried about what they will damage within their country.
They seem completely unable to think through the consequences of their rhetoric if their imbecilic rantings actually manage to become policy.

10-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
if their imbecilic rantings actually manage to become policy.
Yes, it used to be we could count on their breaking their campaign rants on most (non-social) issues, but based on recent performance, that's not the case any longer.
10-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
Herman Cain: Tax Poor People’s Food To Finance Massive Tax Break For The Rich

QuoteQuote:
The centerpiece of former pizza czar Herman Cain’s presidential campaign is his “999″ plan, which would slash taxes on the wealthy, drive up deficits to the worst point since World War II, and force low-income Americans to pay a massive nine times their current tax rate. In an interview this morning with CNN’s Candy Crowley, Cain even said food and clothing would not be exempt from the 9 percent national sales tax he would put in place if elected president. Indeed, he said it would be “fair” for a poor person to pay as much in sales taxes as Crowley does.
Herman Cain: Tax Poor People's Food To Finance Massive Tax Break For The Rich | ThinkProgress

10-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

What really gets me is that some Americans (and I have no idea of the percentage nor does it matter) are very wrapped up in patriotism and talk big about how 911 was such an attack on their country and yet when it comes to looking after people they have absolutely no compassion. A few years ago I read that a study claimed that 26% of America's homeless were veterans of the armed forces. That means that one out of four on the street served their country. And yet a common comment is that the poor have no one to blame but themselves and it is their own fault that the poor/homeless/unemployed are the way they are. i think back to when I was growing up there was a man who wandered the streets still in what was called shell shock from his service in the Great War. He not only did not speak about it he never spoke at all, and this was in the 60s more than 4 decades later. The other comment that I find upsetting was (and there were more than a few of them) is the complaint about public funds used to provide health care for the responders to 911, that it is those folks problems and they should have either taken better care of themselves or not responded.

Now I will freely admit that some of the poor are that way because they just do not want to work. But are they the majority? Are some poor due to not being smart enough or healthy enough or having some sort of medical or mental condition? Are some of them people who fought for their country and could not cope with what they saw. And now Cain wishes for the poor to not only have any assistance from the government cut or eliminated but to also now have to pay the same percentage of their small incomes as a billionaire does. Does not matter how much money a person makes there is a minimum amount that one needs to live off and also a minimum that a person needs to have such as food and shelter. Making the poor even poorer and allowing them even less options to get on with their lives will cost in the long run, and not just money but many more lost lives and the US some lost opportunity. Good to know that even if food becomes more expensive to them at least they can buy a home without paying taxes.

By the way we pay 5% federal tax on everything but food and shelter. it used to be 7% and if it still was we would not have a deficit. But the poor or anyone making less than a certain amount get a cheque every quarter to help offset the GST. Food is complicated as 5 doughnuts are taxed but if you buy 6 it is no longer a snack but groceries so is not. And we still have to pay income tax, do not see how his 9% would eliminate the need for more income tax than is collected now unless the wealthy will end up paying more. Because it does not really matter how many people are at the bottom , taxing their incomes will not bring in as much money as taxing the top 1% a little more, there just is not the income there to be taxed.

10-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
William F Buckley is probably rolling over in his grave.
He deserves to.

He was *wrong* a lot, but he didn't deserve this.

I listened.

This is what he gets. Particularly in the person of Herman Cain.

Anyway, though, Redrock:

QuoteQuote:
What really gets me is that some Americans (and I have no idea of the percentage nor does it matter) are very wrapped up in patriotism and talk big about how 911 was such an attack on their country and yet when it comes to looking after people they have absolutely no compassion.
On that day, and immediately thereafter, I think we were and did ourselves proud. I was there. It was later when it was made into something else. Something that took a long time for someone to make ugly.

When I got home after that whole thing, I actually took my good ash staff to the only place I knew there was Muslims in town... our corner storee, and said, 'Heya. I know I'm pretty tired, but I don't know how the rednecks will react to all this, so I thought I'd stand.' The owners actually pointed behind me and said, 'The rednecks are right behind you, doing the same.'

*That* was my f'n America. Not all this. That.*

It wasn't terrorists who made this mess with some planes. How could they possibly. It was someone else.

And I don't suppose that I'd ever say a *word* if I believed for an *instant* that people are as bad as some say.

Some say people are all kinds of bad.

Inherently.

I don't believe you.

And if I ever feel like I may be forgetting that, I like to play this:

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-12-2011 at 05:16 PM.
10-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #24
Banned

Original Poster
Herman Cain is a joke

10-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yes well, it's not politically correct to go after the Jews, the Negroes, the lepers or the French, the Communists are so very yesterday, and with the death of Bin Laden, the Muslim terrorists are starting to look more like cartoon characters than a threat.
So who remains to vilify and make into the Boogeyman?
Hey, lets pee all over the poor and unemployed. They aren't likely to vote Republican anyway (if they vote at all), so it doesn't matter if they hate us, and they are an easy target to hit with flinging poo.
The Republicans have become the party of Monkeys Who Fling Poo.
Yup, You can't any difference between a Republican and Democrat anymore. That's why so many of us are looking for a true conservative... But when one steps up he gets both barrels from both sides. I guess I'm waiting to see where Cain & Perry have to say in the next few weeks....
10-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnny9fingers Quote
true conservative
Therein lies the confusion.
Just what in the world is that?
10-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The thing is, even if nominated, even if he won, just how much of his agenda stands a chance of being enacted.... .... oh wait, these would be Democrats in the opposition.
10-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnny9fingers Quote
Yup, You can't any difference between a Republican and Democrat anymore. That's why so many of us are looking for a true conservative... But when one steps up he gets both barrels from both sides. I guess I'm waiting to see where Cain & Perry have to say in the next few weeks....
Fuk conservatives, they could shove their love of Rush Limpdick and giving the rich a larger tax break than the middle class up their as*.
10-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #29
Site Supporter

C'mon.
Someone please tell us.
How will we know a "true conservative " when we see one.
I promise I won't shoot, although I own a shotgun, I would be hard pressed to find some shells around here...........

Rumor had it that Bush was one of those.
We are all experiencing how those "true conservative" policies worked out.
10-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #30
Banned

Original Poster
Conservatives talk about Ronald Reagan like a 5 year old talks about Superman. Reagan sucked for me, he was one of the worst ever by screwing people in the USPS by making them pay if they want their years of military service counted in retirement.
Closed Thread