Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
C'mon.
Someone please tell us.
How will we know a "true conservative " when we see one.
I promise I won't shoot, although I own a shotgun, I would be hard pressed to find some shells around here...........

Rumor had it that Bush was one of those.
We are all experiencing how those "true conservative" policies worked out.
The short answer of what a true conservitive is:
Someone who believes in limited & unobtrusive government, and takes resonsibility for their success, or failure.
Thus the re-birth of the Tea Party. I say re-birth because of the original protest against the King over exsessive taxation without representation in the colonies, is similar to the oppressive taxation and regulation of the current bloated federal government.
Regarding President Bush. He was a conservative in the begining but ended up closer to the liberal camp when he signed on to the TARP bailout fiasco....
There is no such thing as too big to fail.
Ok, Now I'm going out to take some shots with my new to me K5.....
God Bless America.....
John

10-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #32
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnny9fingers Quote
Someone who believes in limited & unobtrusive government, and takes resonsibility for their success, or failure.
Thus the re-birth of the Tea Party. I say re-birth because of the original protest against the King over exsessive taxation without representation in the colonies, is similar to the oppressive taxation and regulation of the current bloated federal government.
Regarding President Bush. He was a conservative in the begining but ended up closer to the liberal camp when he signed on to the TARP bailout fiasco....
God Bless America.....
John
God Bless America.....? Now what God is that ? Would that be the same God that the people in this video worship ?

10-18-2011, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

God Bless America.....
John
Addressing the Tea Party protests to corporate control of the government was closer to the point of the original Boston Tea Party, because it was addressed to an act of Parliament which allowed the largest public corporation in the world, The British East India Company, to undercut local businesses. From Boston Tea Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QuoteQuote:
The protest movement that culminated with the Boston Tea Party was not a dispute about high taxes. The price of legally imported tea was actually reduced by the Tea Act of 1773. Protestors were instead concerned with a variety of other issues.

Colonial merchants, some of them smugglers, played a significant role in the protests. Because the Tea Act made legally imported tea cheaper, it threatened to put smugglers of Dutch tea out of business. Legitimate tea importers who had not been named as consignees by the East India Company were also threatened with financial ruin by the Tea Act. Another major concern for merchants was that the Tea Act gave the East India Company a monopoly on the tea trade, and it was feared that this government-created monopoly might be extended in the future to include other goods
10-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say yes.
Plus the fact that not a single teabagger understands the original Tea party nor the straw the broke the colonist back.
Hint------------------It wasn't taxes.

In the teabagger view, we should still be 13 states. More states simply mean more government.
Bush was/is still a conservative.
TARP was really way to protect those individuals that actually caused the on going crash.
Those individuals made a great deal of money off of that.
It merely slowed it and current teabagger/conservatives aim to keep it that way.
In this view Bush's fabrications to attack Iraq were very conservative and acceptable.
Therefore----lies=conservatism.

God bless the World, before attitudes like this destroy the whole ball of wax.

10-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #35
Pentaxian

God Bless America.....
John
That is actually not a complete definition; some forms of conservatives believes that it is the haves obligation to help the less unfortunate; Toryism for one example,other forms believe in total lasie faire (spelling is even worse today than normal). Most textbooks on political ideology go through a big explanation on the difference philosophies and to say that conservatives do not believe in programs such as tarp is not accurate for all forms of it nor should dogma stand in the way of solving major problems, ie my posting on very conservative PM Stephen Harper's take on stimulus spending.
10-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Daily Kos: Herman Cain encourages Al Qaeda to kidnap U.S. troops
10-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #37
Veteran Member

God Bless America.....
John
There is no such thing as the US can "go broke".............
There is no such thing as the need to tax to spend ..........

The current gov. and the tea party AND conservatives are COMPLETELY ignorant as to what the FED can and can't do with THEIR money, and are living on "flat earth"..........

God bless America and save us from ourselves..........

10-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
“We’ll have a real fence, 20 feet high with barbed wire, electrified, with a sign on the other side that says, ‘It can kill you,’ ” Cain said at a campaign stop in Tennessee, to rowdy applause. And if someone thought that was insensitive, he had an answer: “What is insensitive is when they come to the United States across our border and kill our citizens and kill our Border Patrol people.”

Don’t ask Cain for an accounting of all those mass-murdering landscapers, busboys, nannies and crop pickers, because they don’t exist. Just as Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) invented stories of beheadings in the border desert during recent campaigns, so too is Cain playing on voters’ fears with mythology.

Yet the comment about killing immigrants raised some eyebrows, and Cain had to clarify that he was “joking” (even if Cain’s audience was cheering, not laughing).

When people didn’t laugh at a “joke” about killing people, Republicans either rushed to Cain’s defense by accusing liberals of being “humorless,” or remained silent. That is, except for the nation’s largest organization of misguided Latinos, Somos Republicanos. But their voice was so lonely, so ignored, so irrelevant, that its Texas chapter director, Lauro Antonio Garza, an arch-conservative, lifelong Republican, quit the party.

“Today, we find the Republican Party has strayed from its roots and its founding principals [sic] so far that they can no longer be seen,” he wrote, announcing his departure from the GOP. “We saw this yesterday, in the glare of broad daylight, when a leading presidential candidate, Herman Cain, not once, but twice, advocated for the murder of innocent people and that was met with cheers! Somos Republicans, America’s largest organization of conservative Hispanics, was alone in its criticism of this loud mouth hateful bigot … The fact the GOP allows and applauds such outrageous thoughts is beyond reprehensible.”
Cain?s ?joke? crosses line - TheHill.com
QuoteQuote:
PHOENIX - After first apologizing for suggesting an electric fence along the border, Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain told reporters here Monday that he still thinks it's a good idea for controlling illegal immigration.

"I'm not walking away from that," he said.

Cain has spent the last several days explaining a controversial comment about building an electrified fence along the U.S. - Mexico border that he said could kill people trying to enter the country illegally. On Sunday, he said his comments were "a joke." But talking to reporters here after a meeting here with Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who has made a national reputation for cracking down on illegal immigrants, Cain reversed course.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20121695-503544.html
10-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
France, which is monetarily non-sovereign, and so cannot control its money supply and is in real danger of not being able to pay its bills, has an AAA rating from all three major rating agencies — though the agencies are waiting for “further contingent liabilities to emerge.”

But the United States, which is Monetarily Sovereign, and so has the unlimited ability to pay any bills of any size at any time, and even has the ability to pay off all its “debt” tomorrow, saw its rating reduced to AA+ by S&P. Is that a howler, or what?

But wait, it gets even funnier:

Moody’s also noted that France’s debt metrics are now among the worst of its Aaa peers, although they are still supported by favorable “debt affordability,” or a relatively low interest burden when compared to the level of government revenues.

“Favorable debt affordability”? “Among the worst of its peers”? I suppose their debt is affordable, IF they get bailed out by Germany and/or the EU. Otherwise, France will go down the drain. Meanwhile, the AA+ United States needs no bail out, nor ever will. That is the benefit of Monetary Sovereignty, where all America’s so-called “debts” are denominated in our sovereign currency, which we have the unlimited ability to create.

By contrast, France has no sovereign currency. It’s on a euro standard, and when it runs short of euros, it’s out of luck.

But wait, it gets even funnier, yet:

The warning by Moody’s stands in stark contrast to Standard & Poor’s and Fitch – the world’s other two major ratings agencies – which each reaffirmed France’s’ AAA rating in August and have not since published any additional reports.

These agencies continue to demonstrate to the world their abject ignorance of Monetary Sovereignty. And people actually pay attention to these boobs and believe their ratings. Amazing.

And funny.

And frightening.

I award five dunce caps to the three ratings agencies, not because they are more ignorant than many other groups, but because they have set themselves on a high plateau, from which they clearly have fallen into disgrace.
–Funniest headline of the month: France?s AAA Credit Rating At Risk, Moody?s Warns Monetary Sovereignty – Mitchell
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Addressing the Tea Party protests to corporate control of the government was closer to the point of the original Boston Tea Party, because it was addressed to an act of Parliament which allowed the largest public corporation in the world, The British East India Company, to undercut local businesses. From Boston Tea Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Snap. Thank you, Gene.
10-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Snap. Thank you, Gene.

In a sense, the Boston Tea Party was a protest against "free trade" which was putting local businesses under.

I sometimes sound like a broken record on this, but every strong capitalist should read Book V of Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations on the role of government. Much of his concern about what we would now call public corporations was inspired by that same British East India Co. This chapter (which also repeatedly advocates progressive taxation) is why the Austrians and the current Tea Party disowned the father of capitalism.
10-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
In a sense, the Boston Tea Party was a protest against "free trade" which was putting local businesses under.

I sometimes sound like a broken record on this, but every strong capitalist should read Book V of Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations on the role of government. Much of his concern about what we would now call public corporations was inspired by that same British East India Co. This chapter (which also repeatedly advocates progressive taxation) is why the Austrians and the current Tea Party disowned the father of capitalism.
what amazes me that even a cursory read of Adams, Jefferson ect. show that we have , at the very least not evolved to be more "enlightened" and if anything have actually regressed by quite a bit......

THAT is what makes me sad.......... then again mayb it is more smoke and mirrors....

Political Evolution
10-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
There is no such thing as the US can "go broke".............
Actually, internally this may be true, but externally, relative to other countries, the US can go broke. Or rather, the consequences of not being able to go broke can be bad.
10-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Actually, internally this may be true, but externally, relative to other countries, the US can go broke. Or rather, the consequences of not being able to go broke can be bad.
QuoteQuote:
The same logic applies to exploding government debt. We have moved into uncharted territory and are prisoners of psychology. Consider Japan. In 2009, its budget deficit -- the gap between spending and taxes -- amounts to 10 percent or more of gross domestic product (GDP). The total government debt -- the borrowing to cover all its deficits -- is approaching 200 percent of GDP. That's twice the size of its economy. The mountainous debt reflects years of slow economic growth, many "stimulus" plans, an aging society and the impact of the global recession. By 2019, the debt-to-GDP ratio could hit 300 percent, says a report from JPMorgan Chase.

No one knows how to interpret these numbers. If someone had predicted 20 years ago that Japan's debt would rise so spectacularly, the forecast would doubtlessly have inspired this alarm: Japan will pay crushing interest rates as fearful lenders demand high returns to compensate for the risk that government might default or inflate away its debt. Instead, the opposite has happened. Japanese investors -- households, banks, insurers -- have absorbed 94 percent of the debt, reports JPMorgan. Interest rates on 10-year Japanese government bonds have dropped from 7.1 percent in 1990 to 1.4 percent now.

Superficially, it's possible to explain this. Japan has ample private savings to buy bonds; modest deflation -- falling prices -- makes low interest rates acceptable; and investors remain confident that new and maturing debt will be financed.
Robert J. Samuelson - Robert J. Samuelson on whether America could go broke

you need to explain yourself a bit more.................

AND

QuoteQuote:
Countries can and do go bankrupt. The United
States, with its $65.9 trillion fiscal gap, seems
clearly headed down that path.
http://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/review/06/07/Kotlikoff.pdf

provide an example where a fiat currency, sovereign nation "went broke"..... provided they don't stop "working"........
10-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I used 'broke' in a relative manner - e.g. hyper inflation, or devaluation of currency vs. others, etc etc, the things mmt says can happen. My take away is that mmt doesn't promise a free lunch.
Closed Thread