Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got hold of a La Cie earlier this year, (They're supposed to be about the best, according to some advice, but I didn't pay all that much for a TB. It's also pretty and reassuringly made-of-metal. We can call this a placebo effect for my peace of mind, but I'll take it. ) About the last thing I managed to buy: it was intended to be the primary backup for when I got a tower system together: now it's my primary storage. Backup is provided by a cheap little USB drive, and my sweetie keeping copies on the good laptop far away.

10-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
No you're not missing anything. What I suggested works only if you have high speed connectivity available without upload limitations. Since onsite storage appears your only option, consider making your own LAN and storing your back up in a different area such as a out building to minimize loss potential.
Good suggestion. I believe there ar backup drives that connect directly via WiFi.
10-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking for a USB external desktop HDD for my daughter, whose PC now has a nearly full 100 GB HDD.
Is it safe to assume that desktop external drives are less failure-prone than portables?

I have read many reviews on various models and they are often conflicting. Is there hard data available somewhere?
Are there any sources that test these devices using accepted methods and rate them accordingly (e.g. MTBF)?

The LaCie drives appear to be targeted towards the Apple cult crowd so I don't trust those reviews one bit...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-09-2011 at 03:35 PM.
10-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Having backup software that is able to do incremental backups is critical to having a good backup system.

Chasing 100% reliable HD's is fools gold, they don't exist, you need reliable backup processes that can withstand 1 and perhaps 2 HDD's failing without the loss of any data, and can also withstand 1 site being completely cleaned out. If you don't have that you don't have a backup.

The solution on a Mac at least is pretty easy. 2 or 3 external HDD's, using SuperDuper for incremental automated (scheduled) backups, and rotating the HDD's between on site and off site every week or so.