Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

What's up with B&H

I have been noticing that their site has not been allowing online orders quite often lately due to maintenance I suppose. At least 3 times in the past month or so from what I hve seen. Also all the holidays these guys go on and shut down. I have to return a bad lens they sent me and now the receiving department is going to be out for 14 days. So now customers have to wait even longer to get back their money first because of them selling faulty products and even worse because they all have to take a holiday.

Last edited by Barron; 10-10-2011 at 09:45 AM.
10-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Online orders are not, nor have they ever been, taken when they are closed between Friday evening and Saturday evening. This has nothing to do with site maintenance, they are simply closed for the Sabbath every week. As for their holiday schedule, it is prominently displayed on their website. While this may delay your refund a bit, there's not much you can do about it. Frankly, if you're having such an issue with their schedule and policies, I suggest you don't shop there in the future.
10-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Barron Quote
I have been noticing that their site has not been allowing online orders quite often lately due to maintenance I suppose. At least 3 times in the past month or so from what I hve seen. Also all the holidays these guys go on and shut down. I have to return a bad lens they sent me and now the receiving department is going to be out for 14 days. So now customers have to wait even longer to get back their money first because of them selling faulty products and even worse because they all have to take a holiday.

WOW!
You should go someplace else.
10-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Seriously, find a brick and mortar store close to you that needs your support and shop at it.

10-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've never shopped anywhere online where I had to check the special holiday schedule before making a decision. Looks like these guys and Adorama are the special case and a first for me. Oh well!
I would love to be able to walk into a store around here and purchase Pentax gear, but unfortunately there isn't a store close to me that carries Pentax. This is why I ended up going online in the first place.
10-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H celebrates various Jewish holidays through the year, and during these holidays, the NY and online stores are closed. It's a bummer that online ordering isn't available, but I think their great service makes up for it!

Their hours are found here: B&H Photo Video Hours of Operation

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
B&H celebrates various Jewish holidays through the year, and during these holidays, the NY and online stores are closed. It's a bummer that online ordering isn't available, but I think their great service makes up for it!

I couldn't agree more!

I LOVE B&H and their stores!

10-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it's terrific that they give their employees some time off to be with their families, for religious observance, or any reason.

I worked part-time in a retail store during college and beyond, and was forced to work every holiday.
The exceptions were when the store was closed, Easter and Christmas Day only IIRC.

The owner would have kept that damn store open 365 days a year if he'd thought there might be a buck in it.
His true religion was money - he worshipped the almighty dollar.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-09-2011 at 04:31 PM.
10-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's a bummer that online ordering isn't available, but I think their great service makes up for it!

In addition to that, I think they should be commended for putting something above making a buck. That's pretty rare anymore; particularly in this economy.
They not only get my business, they have my respect.
10-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nobody thinks twice that many retail stores are closed on Sundays or that some offices give their staff a week off at Christmas time or during the summer. But B&H closes every Sabbath and for a week here or there for their staff to have their religious holidays and people don't seem to get the reason for that.

When I lived in NYC I used to volunteer to work certain days so people could have off for whatever holiday they needed to go and celebrate. I took vacation when it was convenient for everyone, not just for me. Not having a husband and kids or being particularly religious I didn't much care. The only holiday I ever wanted off was Halloween and while they always thought that was funny they always let me have it off because I was so obliging otherwise most of the time...

I don't buy from them often, can't afford to, but it makes sense I think to check the holiday schedule first. They're actually open on days other stores might not be though, so it all works out in the end really.
10-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Nobody thinks twice that many retail stores are closed on Sundays or that some offices give their staff a week off at Christmas time or during the summer.
But this is the internet. It can't ever be closed.

/sarcasm
10-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Those of us in NY State are pretty used to Jewish owned businesses closing for the Jewish holidays and on Saturdays. It's quite common. The largest plumbing supply in our area closes on Saturday for the Sabbath.
10-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Online orders are not, nor have they ever been, taken when they are closed between Friday evening and Saturday evening. This has nothing to do with site maintenance, they are simply closed for the Sabbath every week. As for their holiday schedule, it is prominently displayed on their website. While this may delay your refund a bit, there's not much you can do about it. Frankly, if you're having such an issue with their schedule and policies, I suggest you don't shop there in the future.
... And probably just about every Other New York retailer. They All close for Jewish Holidays.

10-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
... And probably just about every Other New York retailer. They All close for Jewish Holidays.

Exactly. Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is or why this is an issue. You don't see me freaking out when I want to eat Chick-fil-A on Sunday but can't because Chick-fil-A closes on Sunday for religious reasons (link). Ok, that's a lie, I probably do freak out a little on Sunday when I can't buy Chick-fil-A

Last edited by dgaies; 10-10-2011 at 09:31 AM.
10-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Exactly. Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is or why this is an issue. You don't see my freaking out when I want to eat Chick-fil-A on Sunday but can't because Chick-fil-A closes on Sunday for religious reasons (link). Ok, that's a lie, I probably do freak out a little on Sunday when I can't buy Chick-fil-A
And as long as Mr. Truett or his son Dan are alive, they won't open on Sunday. Since most places here don't allow alcohol sales on Sunday, everybody stocks up on Saturday night. I do the same thing with Chick-fil-A. In fact, got one leftover in the fridge right now that I think I'll have for lunch.

Want to try working for someone who doesn't give you holidays off? Work for an airline. I think I had been with Delta something like 12 years before I ever got a Christmas off.

CW
Closed Thread