Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Here's something to keep in the back of your mind when looking for a specific part on ebay or CL, like the mounting ring. When you find an item like this camera, contact the seller and ask if they will take off the part and sell it separately to you. This can dramatically cut down on shipping (I've done this when looking for printer parts), and you don't end up with a bunch of stuff you don't need or want.
I have done that once or twice when the shipping was high (will you reduce shipping for the lens only, keep the camera). Actually last time I negotiated down the price and the shipping for the lens only. In some cases I would rather have everything unless it saves a lot ov money though as I can always get spare parts (even if it just metal parts to cut up) off junk lenses and or cameras. Strangly enough, while I have gotten all kinds of lenses with diffrent mounts that I have converted (canon, olympus, nikon, minolta etc), I have not wound up with bodies and I wouldn't mind getting some cheap ones. I was thinking of tearing off the mounts from the cameras to play with some custom adapters (glassless with minimum thickness).

11-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...This can dramatically cut down on shipping (I've done this when looking for printer parts), and you don't end up with a bunch of stuff you don't need or want.

what do you mean? there's always stuff we want. umm, i mean need... and you never know when that body/lens/part will come in handy....
11-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote

what do you mean? there's always stuff we want. umm, i mean need... and you never know when that body/lens/part will come in handy....
I've lived most of life with this philosophy and have a garage and shed full of crap... err stuff to prove it. But even I have limits.
11-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But even I have limits.
I don't, lol. Of course my wife thinks I should, packs it all to the basement, throws it away behind my back etc. She has quit throwing things away though as that has causes issues (she has thrown away things of genuine value and or usefullness and I notice it missing when I got looking for it).

Anyway, doesn't the one that dies with the most toys win?

11-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Veteran Member

What a bunch of junk.
11-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

woww.. dude.. whta happened?
11-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The best deal I have gotten off of ebay was a air compressor for an airbrush. The compressors MSRP is $1200 and normally sells for around $800.

I got it for $50 plus another $40 for shipping.

And FYI, if you don't know anything about this type of compressor, it is what is called a silent compressor. When it is turned on, it is no louder then the refrigerator in your kitchen.

11-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
And FYI, if you don't know anything about this type of compressor, it is what is called a silent compressor. When it is turned on, it is no louder then the refrigerator in your kitchen.
I have had loud refrigerators.

Then there was my best eBay sale: a 27ft / 8m travel trailer of 1955 vintage. It was on my mountain property when I bought the land, and selling it essentially made the land purchase price LESS THAN ZERO. I have no complaints.
11-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Then there was my best eBay sale: a 27ft / 8m travel trailer of 1955 vintage. It was on my mountain property when I bought the land, and selling it essentially made the land purchase price LESS THAN ZERO. I have no complaints.
impressive. but the linky only takes me to normal ebay

wish i could do that with the blue van that the previous owners left at our place. hubby just want to dump it for scrap.
11-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
impressive. but the linky only takes me to normal ebay
Linky? What linky where?

QuoteQuote:
wish i could do that with the blue van that the previous owners left at our place. hubby just want to dump it for scrap.
In USA we can sell vehicles on eBay. Not in Oz? Before was eBay, I sold an old Toyota Land-Bruiser via online forums. Found the ToyCar clubs, posted notices, got replies, arranged for inspection, and a guy flew halfway across USA to hand over cash and drive it home.

Maybe you could gargle for the van, see if it's collectible by some rusty pervs, ya never can tell. Damn, I wish the realtor hadn't hauled off the big vintage 1.5-ton ute that was here when we first saw our forest property -- that would surely have interested some gearheads.
11-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Oh. It's the forum playing up. Every once in a while when you type ebay, it turns into a linky. is this like an ad feature? i spotted it once yesterday but when i went back it turned to normal text. looking at your post now the ebay word is highlighted in red for a linky to the site. if i hover the mouse over it, it says 'shopping link added by skimwords'. triiicky.

umm, i think he/we can't be bothered putting on ebay. LOL. It's just an ordinary old van though. don't think it's worth very much... hey, isn't that what all those camera sellers say?
11-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #27

Big and bulky items often go for very low prices. When there are more of an item than there are buyers, the item eventually sells for less. On several occasions I have picked up new stuff from dealers at the starting price when I perceived that demand from other buyers had been satisfied because too many were listed(this seems to happen routinely.) Something to remember-if the price starts to get too "hot" , another of the item will always come up later and possibly at a better price for those prepared to wait.