Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Represent Pentax

So I signed up for an intermediate landscape photo class at a nearby community college. On the first day the teacher asked each person what camera they were shooting with. There are about 12-14 people in the class, and I am the only Pentax shooter. Most are Nikon, and the rest are Canon.

When i told the teacher I shoot with a Pentax k-5, he said something like oh yes Pentax they are sort of a "sleeper" company, not too many people know about Pentax, but they make nice equipment. He shoots with a Canon 7D.

Anyway, we had our second class last night and we were to bring 5 shots from our field trip on the previous Sunday from a Botanical garden. Well, I know equipment doesnt make a good photog but it sure does help. My shots (not too brag) were stand outs, the only other camera that took shots just as saturated and clear was the guy with the Nikon D3S. Even the teacher commented on the color saturation.

Looking forward to blowing the class away with my next set of shots. I love my K-5, and my k20D.

Debbie

10-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Welcome to the wild side.

10-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good show, make us proud!
10-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Banned

I really fail to see why the camera you are using really matters. I would personally not be a part of any class where the brand you are using matters that much. that sort of attitude wouldn’t inspire much confidence.

10-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
The teacher doesn't care what you are using, he was only asking to know what features your camera has, specifically the Live View feature.

Debbie
10-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get a circular polarizer, a set of ND filters and you'll be way ahead on the class
10-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SashasMom Quote
The teacher doesn't care what you are using, he was only asking to know what features your camera has, specifically the Live View feature.

Debbie
so then why not simply ask if your camera has live view, or if for some reason live view is a requirement then it should be stated up front so all students have proper equipment. still sounds to me like the teacher is a bit more concerned with equipment brand than necessary.

10-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so then why not simply ask if your camera has live view, or if for some reason live view is a requirement then it should be stated up front so all students have proper equipment. still sounds to me like the teacher is a bit more concerned with equipment brand than necessary.

Do you really feel the need to bust the op's chops about this? REALLY? If you care so much about the instructor's motivations, Sign up for the class and ask him yourself.

10-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Do you really feel the need to bust the op's chops about this? REALLY? If you care so much about the instructor's motivations, Sign up for the class and ask him yourself.

how do you think I’m doing that? I’m merely stating an opinion. am I not allowed to do so? is this not a discussion forum? i never said i cared, personally i don’t care what class other people take. but yes I question the instructors motivations based on the OPs post and so I made an observation and gave an opinion.
10-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
If you don't mind me asking, what community college are you taking the class at? I saw you were from WA. I finished my schooling at Shoreline Community College, the instructors there were awesome. Quite the hoot.
10-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

At my last critique in the photography class I have, the instructor was quite impressed with how sharp one of my photos taken with my F 50mm 1.7 was. The school loans out D40s for those who don't have their own cameras, so of course I'm alone as a Pentax user. The only other Pentax I've seen is the K1000 the instructor used to demonstrate how old-timey film cameras work.

And sort of related, but a true story: When I was in middle school (7th grade I think), I actually made a throw pillow with "Pentax" on it for my home ec class. Needless to say, I was quite the dork in school. This was also 25 years ago, so most 12 year olds didn't have SLR cameras.
10-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
And sort of related, but a true story: When I was in middle school (7th grade I think), I actually made a throw pillow with "Pentax" on it for my home ec class. Needless to say, I was quite the dork in school. This was also 25 years ago, so most 12 year olds didn't have SLR cameras.
thats just awesome. you wouldn’t happen to have any photos of that would you?
10-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #13

6 of one half...

I used to be the only Olympus owner in my camera club, now I am the only Pentax owner. I wanted a small semipro body with small primes that cost less than an M9. Only one camera manufacturer does it right. Pentax is playing my tune so that is how I march. Dave
10-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
thats just awesome. you wouldn’t happen to have any photos of that would you?
No, but let's just say that I'm a better photographer than I am a seamstress. I'd be willing to bet my dad still has that pillow somewhere, I'll ask him next time I see him. It would be cool to see it again.
10-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Way to represent!