Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Btw, my condolences to the even -vicariously-grieved. I didn't see the accident, but I was flipping channels when I saw all the people in bright uniforms looking sad. Good on the network for not showing the replay over and over. (even if I was straining to know what happened. Or who the person being given tribute to was, actually. It was very nice the way they did those honors laps, though. Even what's-her-name. (Who probably would have been a big inspiration to eight-year-old me back when) If you said the name I'd recognize it, I think. But I can't remember now: still, I was thinking, 'Whatever just happened, I'm glad you're there.'

Still, I guess, 'another day at the races.' I do just want to question if this American thing about 'Go fast and turn left' might be reaching certain limits, though. (As in 'way past proving anything but how long people can waste tires burn fuel and not wipe out.' ) At this point Howard Cosell and Jackie Stewart can have hovering drones and global satellite coverage, (As well as the Goodyear Blimp) why not have rallies and Grand Prix and road races, and... Turn more? I think this is Indy cars, and that may be a sport that people have learned to do *so well* that there's nothing but errors and accidents to change the numbers, not to say it's easy to do.

Honestly, though, all I remember about the guy in his triumph was his shows of piety being used by the same people who said there was something wrong with me if I was even interested in engines. And I'm not that much of a stereotype, really.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-17-2011 at 07:53 PM.
10-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #17
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Still, I guess, 'another day at the races.' I do just want to question if this American thing about 'Go fast and turn left' might be reaching certain limits, though. (As in 'way past proving anything but how long people can waste tires burn fuel and not wipe out.' )
Lets also stop all ball sports since millions are wasting gas driving to the events that are also wasting energy for lights etc. And what's up with this 'Go fast and turn left' BS ? Do you not know of NASCAR road races ?
10-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Btw, my condolences to the even -vicariously-grieved. I didn't see the accident, but I was flipping channels when I saw all the people in bright uniforms looking sad. Good on the network for not showing the replay over and over. (even if I was straining to know what happened. Or who the person being given tribute to was, actually. It was very nice the way they did those honors laps, though. Even what's-her-name. (Who probably would have been a big inspiration to eight-year-old me back when) If you said the name I'd recognize it, I think. But I can't remember now: still, I was thinking, 'Whatever just happened, I'm glad you're there.'
Probably Danica Patrick.

QuoteQuote:
Still, I guess, 'another day at the races.' I do just want to question if this American thing about 'Go fast and turn left' might be reaching certain limits, though. (As in 'way past proving anything but how long people can waste tires burn fuel and not wipe out.' ) At this point Howard Cosell and Jackie Stewart can have hovering drones and global satellite coverage, (As well as the Goodyear Blimp) why not have rallies and Grand Prix and road races, and... Turn more? I think this is Indy cars, and that may be a sport that people have learned to do *so well* that there's nothing but errors and accidents to change the numbers, not to say it's easy to do.
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Lets also stop all ball sports since millions are wasting gas driving to the events that are also wasting energy for lights etc. And what's up with this 'Go fast and turn left' BS ? Do you not know of NASCAR road races ?
Lots of people have said that IndyCars and smaller ovals are not a great mix, which is how I interpret RML's post. I think that's a good point with lots of history to show the problems it creates. She's right about certain limits, too, which are very evident on these ovals. The cars go too fast, the officials try to slow them down without huge costs, then everyone runs the same speed in one pack, wheels touch inevitably, and cars start flying. (They will have the same issues in NASCAR on Sunday except a simple wheel touch doesn't launch the cars and the track is huge.) The blindingly obvious solution is road courses, where even if the cars and drivers were perfectly equal, just slowing down for corners and speeding back up breaks up the packs. And the walls aren't always right there to hit.
10-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Probably Danica Patrick.

Lots of people have said that IndyCars and smaller ovals are not a great mix, which is how I interpret RML's post. I think that's a good point with lots of history to show the problems it creates. She's right about certain limits, too, which are very evident on these ovals. The cars go too fast, the officials try to slow them down without huge costs, then everyone runs the same speed in one pack, wheels touch inevitably, and cars start flying. (They will have the same issues in NASCAR on Sunday except a simple wheel touch doesn't launch the cars and the track is huge.) The blindingly obvious solution is road courses, where even if the cars and drivers were perfectly equal, just slowing down for corners and speeding back up breaks up the packs. And the walls aren't always right there to hit.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/162471-izod-indycar-world-ch...ml#post1683670