Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #31
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If "normal eastern business ideals" include massive corruption and screwing stockholders, maybe investors should put their money elsewhere.
thats not what I was implying at all, so I'm not sure why you swung it that way. hell, the way you put it sounds more like standard western business ideals to me. what I was referring to was the normal secretive, ritualistic (traditional structured and rigid) and very internal style of doing business. the term thats he's been pegged with 'whistle blower' is certainly a fitting one in this case. right or wrong in western eyes, japanese society has veery traditional ways of doing things and this extends into business. Mr. Woodford most certainly didn't act in a manner befitting Japanese business. nobody, myself included is defending the obvious corruption within the company, nor was I making any attempt at defining corruption as standard business practice in Japan or the east in general. what I am saying is that his actions do not fit well with normal traditional business practices in the east. he clearly doesn't understand the culture in which he is attempting to keep himself employed in. our opinion of right and wrong is our opinion, but thats beside the main point. why you would try to jump to such an obvious broad negative stereotype is beyond me.

01-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
why you would try to jump to such an obvious broad negative stereotype is beyond me.
Maybe it's because I occasionally read news reports of Japanese business?
01-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Maybe it's because I occasionally read news reports of Japanese business?
Well if you want to pander to broad generalizations, based on your occasional reading be my guest. It's your stereotypes not mine.
01-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

If it's any comfort (HA!) such reports are not limited to Japanese firms. My stereotypes encompass the whole world of business. People (including those running businesses) cheat, lie, buy politicians and protection, etc. Transparency should protect us from this. That firms in Japan and elsewhere do their best to avoid transparency suggests that they have much to hide, that they've been lying & cheating & bribing wholesale. If Japanese business culture opposes such transparency, I just wonder what they're hiding.

01-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
BBC News - Former Olympus boss calls for clearout of board
06-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ex-Olympus CEO settles
QuoteQuote:
[...] Michael Woodford [...] won a likely multi-million dollar settlement of his claim for unfair dismissal. [...]
Panasonic to provide Olympus with up to 50 bln yen in capital-Kyodo | Reuters
QuoteQuote:
[...] Panasonic Corp is making final arrangements to provide up to 50 billion yen ($635 million) in capital to Olympus Corp in a move that will make Panasonic the top shareholder in the company [...]