Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gaddafi is dead

(Reuters) - Former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi died of wounds suffered in his capture near his hometown of Sirte on Thursday, a senior NTC military official said. Gaddafi dies of wounds: NTC official | Reuters

Good riddance.

10-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
Banned

An image captured off a cellular phone camera appears to show Moammar Gadhafi after h

An image captured off a cellular phone camera appears to show Moammar Gadhafi after his capture in Sirte Thursday.
10-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK so now NATO has gotten what it wanted. Lets see what flavor of insanity takes control of Libya next. Somehow those folks on the news this morning dancing in the street with knives , swords and rifles really didn't look like leadership material to me.
10-20-2011, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
OK so now NATO has gotten what it wanted. Lets see what flavor of insanity takes control of Libya next. Somehow those folks on the news this morning dancing in the street with knives , swords and rifles really didn't look like leadership material to me.
I'll bet a few Brits said that about 250 years ago.

10-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Well, they have installed a "central" bank.
10-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Something we seem to forget in the West (though how we forget it is inexplicable) is that a lot of peoples are ungovernable by the method that we take for granted (Western style democracy).
So we go in and remove or help remove an evil dictator and it's anarchy until another evil dictator rises to the top.
All we can do is hope that the next one likes us (and continues to like us).
10-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'll bet we (The USA) droned him, despite what we are being told and shown.

10-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
That would be unfortunate if it were true. It's one thing for a people to depose and execute their own bad leader, quite something else for a foreign power to assassinate a foreign leader no matter how odious he is.
Without knowing your political affiliations, how do you suppose the average Republican (even those with teabagger leanings) would react if Iran decided to assassinate your current president?
10-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

As with all revolts, if bad guys get in charge when the fighting is over, it will be a tragedy. On the other hand, without the effort to overthrow Gaddafi, there was virtually no chance things could've improved since Gaddafi wasn't going to change and he had family lined up to take over when he died. A far more positive thing to see is the supportive role the US encouraged, and the UN got behind, quite different than the classic American style. Instead we supported a righteous effort and, more importantly, got the rest of the world to work together.
10-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
As with all revolts, if bad guys get in charge when the fighting is over, it will be a tragedy. On the other hand, without the effort to overthrow Gaddafi, there was virtually no chance things could've improved since Gaddafi wasn't going to change and he had family lined up to take over when he died. A far more positive thing to see is the supportive role the US encouraged, and the UN got behind, quite different than the classic American style. Instead we supported a righteous effort and, more importantly, got the rest of the world to work together.
For this reason, you and all of your fellow countrymen have a reason to be proud. In these sorts of things, a cooperative effort is far better than a unilateral one, no matter how just the cause.
10-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't want to believe that the French and Germans are capable of doing airstrikes?
10-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Don't want to believe that the French and Germans are capable of doing airstrikes?
Germans, definitely... the French, errmmm....
10-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, that part of the world is likely to end up with another govt. that is equally evil.
10-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The French air force is rated above the German (with India in between). http://www.topyaps.com/top-10-strongest-air-forces-of-the-world/ The Israeli Air Force is way up there, at No. 3, though. Hmmm.
10-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'm not sure about the French and air strike capability either.
There are rumors that the French have a new battle tank, though. Details are a little sketchy but supposedly it has a 1200HP engine and a 4 speed transmission. When first released it only had a three speed ; Low Reverse, Second Reverse, and High Reverse. They were recalled early on to add a Low Forward in case somebody sneaks up behind them.