Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Louisiana outlaws yard sales & thrift stores

Daily Kos: WTF? Louisiana has banned yard sales, Goodwill, and Salvation Army thrift stores.

QuoteQuote:
In a new law that could put every trading post, Goodwill, flea market, garage sale and Craigslist merchant in the state of Louisiana out of business, a bipartisan group of elected representatives has opted to ban all cash payments for the buying and selling of used goods.
Though House Bill 195 was intended to make it easier to track the sales of stolen goods by giving police a paper trail to follow. As such, lawmakers have required second-hand sales be made with credit cards, paper checks, electronic transfer or money orders.

It was signed into law on July 1, but flew so far under the radar that practically nobody in the media noticed until this week, when Louisiana’s KLFY Eyewitness News 10 put a spotlight on the new rules and their likely impacts on local business...House Bill 195 was intended to make it easier to track the sales of stolen goods by giving police a paper trail to follow.

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-20-2011 at 12:35 PM.
10-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

f*cktard Southern politicians

Last edited by RioRico; 10-20-2011 at 08:29 PM.
10-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What happened to the part about "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"?

Sorry about the oversized font.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 10-20-2011 at 04:52 PM.
10-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Seems like the "home of the free" is becoming freer all the time...

Seriously, they should have made a law to make receipts for cash sales mandatory... That would make sense...

Pat

10-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What happened to the part about "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"?
That's inconvenient for the police.
10-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm guessing that exact question will be asked when the law is challenged in court.
10-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Makes it really easy for those without credit cards or banks to buy or sell used things, guess they will just have to buy only new stuff from now on.
10-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

So, now I have this pile of dollar bills I can't use... and you have that nice Takumar you can't use. Let's barter!

10-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Well, that's 'small government' for you, eh? Throw it away, or else, says Bobby Jindal....

Bow to your corporate masters... Private citizens can no longer sell goods to each other.

Economically-stressed? Can't keep up the rent or mortgage? Landfilling anything of any small potential value is now mandatory.

Unless of course, Big Finance takes three-to-nine percent or a surcharge. Did you salvage anything after Katrina? Get a credit swipe machine, Granny.

I think I may be crossing a political divide here, when I say... People of Louisiana? Break this law.

This is just like any number of other laws we've seen that say 'We just want to be able to jail just about anyone we please and otherwise keep the peasants in line.'

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-20-2011 at 02:15 PM.
10-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Creating a paper trail would facilitate collection of state sales tax.
Enforcement and administrative costs would likely exceed any potential revenue.

Chris
10-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Banned

I really hate my country. its stupidity and laziness seems to have no end.
10-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Creating a paper trail would facilitate collection of state sales tax.
Enforcement and administrative costs would likely exceed any potential revenue.

Chris
That's where the 'Unenforceable law that could target anyone' comes in... Like 'legislating morality,' or ....Outlawing tape dubbing, it'll never work, but if you want to bust anyone you feel like? Catch em selling a lawn tractor attachment or an antique, and there's your excuse.

Actually, just tell Jindal and the GOP who support him that nothing says this don't apply to their beloved *guns.* Right?
10-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It's highly probable that when this is challenged in court it will be thrown out as not only unconstitutional on due process grounds but as an illegal infringement upon the federal currency system. I do not believe that the state of Lose-iana can restrict the use of legal tender in any transaction.

And contrary to their claims about "police tracking" I suspect the real reason they passed this is that it's highly likely that numerous members of this "bi-partisan panel" probably have ties to the banking industry...
10-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I understand that Florida has a similar law but it's mainly aimed at scrap metal. Bring in a/c coils, manhole covers, water meter covers or anything like that, you show ID and get paid by check. That would make sense as much copper is stolen these days but sounds like Louisiana passed the law without anybody reading it....kind of like Congress does with most everything they do.

CW
10-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
guess they will just have to buy only new stuff from now on.
And pay 9% under the 9-9-9 plan. Used stuff is excempt.