Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #1

Troubled by the merger

I used to use Minolta cameras, and loved them. When Ricoh bought them out
they ruined a great camera line. That's why I have misgivings about this merger.

Personally, I think Ricoh should have continued to market their own brand, and stayed
out of buying others, as it has never, in my opinion, been good for any brand that
they have taken over.

Sadly, as with the others, I am sure the name Pentax will fade into history.

10-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
what relation was there between Ricoh and Minolta?
10-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not an entirely unreasonable observation.
10-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #4

This just goes to show what I know. I though that Minolta were bought out by Sony?

I used to share a subscription to the Minolta magazine, Minolta Mirror with a pal many yars ago. I thought that this had the best images of any camera type publication and I do miss it.

I used to hanker after a Minolta camera but never had the funds to ditch my Yashica kit

10-21-2011, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

As far as I know, Minolta merged with *Konica*, resulting in Konica-Minolta. That merged company's camera division, in turn, was sold to Sony when K-M decided to pull out of the camera business. How was Ricoh involved in this ?

I believe the acquisition by Ricoh is a good thing, because they bought the Pentax camera division to help develop their camera business, whereas Hoya never really was interested in that part of Pentax (they wanted the medical imaging division).
10-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter

There is no evidence that Ricoh ever bought Minolta

But you know that...

QuoteQuote:
Poll: Why did you buy a Pentax DSLR?
Posted By jeryst Replies: 362
Views: 35,242

I used to use Minolta film cameras. But when Konica bought them, it seemed like their products just went to crap. I dont know how they are now that Sony has them. I have been using my Maxxum 9000 ever since it came out.
10-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

What an ill-informed (starter) post! Is that a bad attempt of spreading FUD? Would someone mad that another company ruined their beloved brand (it didn't happened anyway) not be able to remember the name of that another company? Or confuse Konica with Ricoh?

- as others said, Konica and Minolta merged, resulting in Konica-Minolta. That didn't worked, so Konica-Minolta sold the imaging division to Sony. Sony indeed ruined the great 2-DSLR line by launching countless DSLRs including 2 FF, and now with SLT and NEX cameras they have quite a bit of market share.
- Ricoh being the owners of Pentax is a good thing, at least better than Hoya. Ricoh will grow Pentax.
- Pentax won't be fading anytime soon. Dream on!

10-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Not news or rumor. Moving to GT
10-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Anyone fearing the Ricoh purchase should review the history of Ricoh's previous buyouts of office-products companies, see if those brands were destroyed, and report back to us. C'mon, let's see a little research to back-up the fears.
10-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Since Ricoh never owned Minolta there doesn't seem to be basis for your fears.
Not much basis for this thread either, come to think of it.

Closed.
Closed Thread