Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What your choice of camera says about you.

I turned this up on realphotographsforum.com, a good British site.

What Your Choice of Camera Says About You

Just as the clothes you choose to wear, the food you like to eat, and the people you associate with say something about you, so does the camera system you buy into. The following observations are based on close association with the various groups of camera owners and from having belonged to each group at one time or another. Those who belong to the “lacking any sense of humor” or “offended at the drop of a hat” groups are strongly advised to read no further.

Canon owners
You appreciate the benefits of owning a camera system that leads in cutting-edge digital imaging technology and that offers a wealth of body, lens, and accessory options for every level of photographer, from lowly consumer to top professional. You will switch to Nikon.

Nikon owners
You appreciate the benefits of owning a camera system that leads in cutting-edge digital imaging technology and that offers a wealth of body, lens, and accessory options for every level of photographer, from lowly consumer to top professional. You will switch to Canon.

Sony owners
You believe that Sony’s innovations in consumer electronics and video technology, its leadership in digital imaging chip production, its in-body image stabilization, and its use of Zeiss optics results in a unique design synergy and products of exceptional value—because that’s what it says in the product literature. You also believe in astrology, UFOs and the Easter Bunny.

Pentax owners
You’re the sort of person who would buy a $1500 DSLR body so your stash of thread-mount, K-mount and M-mount lenses from decades ago (collectively worth $75.00 at a flea market or yard sale) won’t go to waste; either that, or you’ve never heard of a Spotmatic, Pentax LX or Takumar, you just think you look cool sporting a day-glo red camera that takes real pictures. You think people are laughing with you, not at you.

Olympus owners
You’re the sort of person who buys North Korean beer, Peruvian underwear, and French computers, not because you actually like them but because no one else does. When people question your choice of camera system you respond that Olympus images have a certain “soul” and that photographs are what matter, not the camera. You have no friends.

Leica owners
You know that no other camera other than a Hasselblad gains as much instant respect among the cognoscenti as a Leica. Although this relieves the pressure of demonstrating actual photographic prowess, it increases the need to be familiar with the subtle differences in visual signature between an Elmar, Elmarit, Summitar, Summicron, and Summilux. You are either stinking rich, living in your mother’s basement, or one lens purchase away from a divorce.

This Is Purely Just For Fun Of Course...............!!

Courtesy of Darren Turner, aka Lord Canonian

10-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Banned

Panasonic with 365,899 employees and 2011 revenue $104.88 Billion is larger than any of them.
10-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote

Pentax owners
You’re the sort of person who would buy a $1500 DSLR body so your stash of thread-mount, K-mount and M-mount lenses from decades ago (collectively worth $75.00 at a flea market or yard sale) won’t go to waste; either that, or you’ve never heard of a Spotmatic, Pentax LX or Takumar, you just think you look cool sporting a day-glo red camera that takes real pictures. You think people are laughing with you, not at you.
Ooops, they nailed me. I knew I should have bought the white camera instead!
10-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Probably a great camera but...

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Panasonic with 365,899 employees and 2011 revenue $104.88 Billion is larger than any of them.
I was just never able to get over the "Lumix" name and badge. I easily get it confused with "lummox." Not cool.

10-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Banned

hmm, I guess I don’t fit into any of the above generalizations. I own two Pentax K-7’s but they are for work. my normal carry cameras are an old Pentax SV, an old Leica M3 and slightly less old Pentax 6x7. oh well.
10-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #6

I had my Samsung GX20 at a do for work. I am a technical salesman. I am known for liking my toys and that I spend many hours of research and comparison before buying what I consider to be the best option and not the biggest brand

Mp3 player, a 60gb Zen Vision M which at the time outperfomed ipod for SQ, VQ, and had fm radio

Headphones by Grado, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser and not a Beats by Dr Dre, Skullcandy or Bose in sight

Laptop by Hewlett Packard

Hifi by Linn (handbuilt in Scoltand) or my second system Cambride Audio with Mordaunt Short speakers and not a Techniks, Sony or Bose or even Bang and Olufsen in sight

so when my coworker came up to me to look at my camera and the shots that I was doing she said wow and then apologised and said ' I wanted a camera and know nothing about photography so I bought a Nikon SLR....are they any good? I wish I had spoken with you first.....'

Eat your heart out Nikon......'are they any good'
10-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Loved reading this.
Are all Olympus owners autistic? I wonder. I have an e-p3. But also a K-5. And a Linn sondek. And very old Elypson speakers. And a weird old brown leather carrying case which came from my grandfather. Don't use it often though. Many very old books, some over 200 years old. Things gather around one as one passes through life.
Lately I have been depressed by the new developments in our photography world. And sighed. And bought a new laundry dryer instead of a camera. My husband agreed and bought an Asus transformer. My 50 year old couch, I had it given a facelift, it is beautiful again. How I wished they made a digital spotmatic, how I wished they would. Guess I maybe must turn to a Sony for that (nex 7 and adapter). Maybe I can then become a true believer.

10-23-2011, 05:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the laugh. Loved this read...
10-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

And for me a K100D does what I want a1943 Leica 111c 1960-s Nikon f and of course My 1968 Spotmatic. They all work I'm an oldies kinda guy not into the newist stuff.