Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
Inactive Account

@robbiec - You should try Windows - I used to sell mobile they are very good in this aspect. Nokia are also on the Windows bandwagon and are bringing out one soon. I don't know much about the N9 but from reviews sounds like it is pretty intuitive to use.

Last edited by Tonto; 10-23-2011 at 08:35 PM.
10-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My recent smartphone purchase was really determined by my early 20's daughter. A recent college grad, she's still using much of our resources until she finds some permanent employment. She's stayed working but at paid internships that last 6 months or so. Her cellphone died and I was still using my 9 year old Star Tac with the battery that would no longer stay charged more than a couple of hours and I couldn't find one to replace it. She picked out the Motorola Droid X2. It was a buy one, get one free deal and we split cost we we both got phones for under $100. So my "conservative, less educated, male" cellphone was chosen by my "liberal, young, college educated" daughter. I kind of liked the I Phone myself and while they weren't a buy BOGO, they were under $100 too so the cost would have been similar.
10-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #18
mel
Veteran Member

I have an Android. And I got it because I needed something I could use while overseas and the current at the time iPhone wouldn't. So much for untraveled huh. Oh and I'm female and have a master's degree. Any other stereotypes I can blow up? :
10-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those reading the article will note that these are statistical agglomerations. Users of these systems (not counting yet other systems) TEND towards these qualities. (And some lifelong smokers don't get lung cancer, either.) Of course we discrete-quantum-integer individuals aren't statistics. I'm not 1.375 of anything, And of course we're proud that we don't fit too many norms... unless we want to take pride in being 'normal'. Oh no, *I* don't fit those stereotypes -- not unless it's beneficial for me to do so.

Those who match the phone-OS patterns, probably don't want to brag about it. We like being exceptional, not average. But stereotypes evolve because they're often true, even if not universal. Foreign tourists I've observed in Central America often *do* fit their national stereotypes. Bummer... And some of those Mac-vs-PC and Android-vs-iPhone and Canikon-vs-dwarves stereotypes fit. But we don't want to admit that, do we?

10-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

my back up phone (since my i phone was stolen my theft proof phone - though i did once have one of these stolen 13 years ago)

10-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What does it say about me if I'm trying to be the last person in the world to get a cell phone?
10-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
What does it say about me if I'm trying to be the last person in the world to get a cell phone?
That you have better priorities.

My excuse: I get a phone when I'm trying to sell a property and I need to be available for a realtor. Then I use it until it breaks, and go without until it's time for the next sale.