Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Tired of Looking at Thousands of item's while doing a "Pentax" search on fleabay?

Hi, I hope you find this post very helpful,

For those of you that do a general "Pentax" search for item's for sale on what I prefer to call "Fleabay" and find a plethora and flooding of sellers touting batteries, wide angle screw on lenses, battery chargers, camera cases, and just plain flooding of items using the Pentax tag.

Having arrived at a solution and a blocked sellers list eliminating having to sort through all their listings to find legitimate Pentax equipment for sale. So far this is for items within North America. Hopefully when I find the time this list can be expanded to a worldwide elimination of blocked sellers list, ie: HONG KONG, a literal irritant to me personally flooding eBay with listings.

For example when doing a general search for "Pentax" on fleabay, 31,000+ results appear, When narrowing the search down to North America. The item list drops to around 16,000, when adding the blocked sellers list, the item count drops to around 5,000 plus of legitimate Pentax equipment listings.

I am sure these are all legitimate sellers , but when its an item you really do not want to look at nor searching for then the obvious block will help narrow your fleabay search down.

Here is my list of blocked sellers, Feel free to add to it when another "flooder of listings" is found.

porthan_molk,ebass73,astwise,alexresistors,itdigitals,chenf30,vstarsales,articah,

rising-sun-photography,shopforbattery_com,sm_wireless_store,rainbowimaging,power_198,usadigishop,screenpatronus2,cl_lc517,

clickbattery,funcellbud,ultra_bravo,thinkpartners,qualshot,gigabargain,johnnyhs321,cablebus,usadigishop,

lt-daydayup,ukpartsdeal,agreedstore,butterflyphoto,rainbowimaging,

multi-function1002,BestBargainCloseouts,toskanmarket,co_battery,BestBargainCloseouts,cctv_station,jamesbgoodman,steamedeg,

g,i_bite_the_apple,opticsplanet,foto*works,onlinephotostuff,mp-108,bgssupplier,buy,

Wi-Fi Laptopforless,battery_source INC,ewarehouse909,thinkpretentious,mingitav,accessorystudios,celltimeinc, 47st.photo,

matchsupplyonline, cametaauctions, goldenmaple04, digibatterycity, power-alternatives, nikondave, bestdigitalusa,

amilineinc, wackydealsworldwide, sportdelta,bigbuycity, bargainsdeliveredllc, superdigitalcity,

tallpc-outlet,world2power,asavings, cameraland, datavis_sales, tri-state1, fotoaffar, abm-5, adoramacamera,

handbdig,battery_street, digitalsaleonline, wps47, sicamera, bestpriceoptics, asiancamera1, nmm35, marmot5767,

eastwestphoto, galaxycamera, silveradotrading, frendakfurnari, shutterblade, bigvalueinc, 800photovideo,

electronicsvalley, manleeusa, osuppliers, beststopdeals, us_directsell, myw-tech, suddenawk, ahkin_digital,rray009,

ebuyingsnow, cwmediapro, looscanons, demba123, photogearfinder,

onedealoutlet,helixcamera.com,mp108,antaresprocom,bid$buy,donsamaven,cameradoctor7,camera_accessories,insteadgreen,

garson0808,fookstore,fookbuy,fooktech,multifunction1002,yallstore,bestelectronicstore,itrimming,everydaysource,neew

er,eforcity,fotodiox_gear,eshopic,techflavour,peelplus,completebuy,techlolly,accstation,eshopic,newarkstampandcoine

xchange,digitalgoja, emilyandlily, hi-etech, arphotovideo,hi-pc, multincsourceahead,SHUEIDO,

pacificrimcamera,monsterhotdeals,digitalgoja,

enessy_llc,happydstore,tomtop.wholesaler,cabattery,cameraspot,enessysales,yourcamerasupplies,usasavings,enessysales

,prodigital2000,dlem42,access_power,123easyship,orphanbiker,landloop,kanchun,gbmsale,sjm486,rythercamera,sib-

usa,izzy91948,

itricity,masonjersey,nk_wireless,digiaccdeals,sup8201,photoart208,artsouvenir,northernmarine,cameraboost,unbeatable

sales, constantine4jap,blattworld1,rcic142,rasdolby,overoutlet,

everfull,lens.camera,brooklyncamera,bergerbroscamera,919nicole1,digital-fans-

home,sharperauctions,hotshotzpaintball2006,gmcamera

ardinbir,123fixyourcamerayourselfcom,ptlm347,schicjar,parnassusonthenet,huntsphotoandvideo.com,aeaccessories,everyt

hingpro,abquansu,lessthanretail$,lensband,carcambotk82,robertmcca,bifficus,

neatphoto,vcc113,pioneer_golden,pantorama,shootingunderwaterphoto,poponthat,photogearetc,emaxland,palsco,gokevincam

eras,monsterpowerpro, americaneagle_camera

,jerruha37,deeperdiver,webpw,procamerarepair,camera$,rokas_photo_video,wasp317,onlinefred62,tmrpromotions,

atcsupplyusa,

glynncamera,kumir000,kenmorecamera,bidhereonlineaw,goshotcamera,valuesmith,qualitylens,myma09,ecomelectronics,eeeki

tonline,navscreen,digitalphotogear,crystal_sell,siubo.blackie,beachcamera,kpsurplus,accessorygenie,sky.mall,pc2buy4

u,batt_inc,cameraworksnw,buydig,synergysales,bestelectronic-store,digi-battery,accurepublic,accesskit2k,

thetwistergroup

Attached Files
File Type: txt latestblockedseller.txt (3.2 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by Indecent Exposure; 10-26-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Add txt file
10-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Damn, you have 80% of my favorite sellers on your list...
10-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I guess that might be good if you only want to search for used gear? But then, why not just check mark the used radio button? I'm not going to block tri-state, adorama, beachcamera, buydig (all of which have good prices and I've bought from), and that was just a quick scan of the list!

Quick note: selecting the used radio button brings the 'pentax' search down from 31K results to 7K, basically achieving the same result by removing 20K lens caps and other misc items, haha
11-01-2011, 02:19 AM   #4

I find putting "auction only" and "used" in to the search cuts out a lot of the "trash." Mind you, some of the dealers on the bottom of the ebay pages are cheaper than the general listings and often only a few dollars more than what used gear goes for. I have seen several items of used gear going for more than what could be bought brand spanking new with warranty! Some of the dealers that use the "drop shipping" model can give really good prices on brand new gear compared with going to a full priced retail store, so if you know what you are looking for and have done your research, you can make genuine savings .

11-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Set a price limit. If it's over US$20, forget it. That weeds out most of the clutter.
11-01-2011, 03:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I do both of those ($ threshold and 'used' or 'not specified' as opposed to 'new') and often will only get 5 or 8 listings that I'm interested in.

Probably better for the LBA that way. But considering all the searches I do, I still end up with like 30 emails to trawl through in the morning...
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
K-9
Veteran Member

It's probably easier if you just search Pentax -battery -charger -case -manual -cap -(insert any other stupid accessory here).

You can also click on the subsections to the left, which can narrow it down by body or lens and eliminate mostly all the accessories.

Then save that search in MyeBay or bookmark it in your browser.

11-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Damn, you have 80% of my favorite sellers on your list...
My hopes are you are not a "PAID" to comment in forums to protect "Big Time High Budget Sellers" member of this forum.

Yes I can "read" between the lines.

The original intention of this thread was "exactly" for Pentax user's looking for great quality "used" equipment.

Nothing more nothing less.

It is absolutely "ridiculous" to look at several thousand's of "misrepresented Brand Name listings" on Fleabay. When the main search purpose is to find "quality" Pentax equipment.

Without "flooding the marketplace" with useless listings, that no-one want's to look at.
Attached Files
File Type: txt latestblockedseller.txt (3.4 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by Indecent Exposure; 11-02-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: updated blocked sellers list
11-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
It's probably easier if you just search Pentax -battery -charger -case -manual -cap -(insert any other stupid accessory here).

You can also click on the subsections to the left, which can narrow it down by body or lens and eliminate mostly all the accessories.

Then save that search in MyeBay or bookmark it in your browser.
You are correct, and I agree, but it is a one step less hassle process to just "weed out" them with selecting "specify seller's" and copy and paste the text file into the "exclude sellers" list.

Hope this helps.
11-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Don't forget to add -gastroscope -endoscope -laryngoscope -totalstation (WTF is that thing? Surveying gear?)

You'll still end up with some bizarre stuff... but hey, it's easier than searching for "Canon" or "Nikon"!
11-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
My hopes are you are not a "PAID" to comment in forums to protect "Big Time High Budget Sellers" member of this forum.

Yes I can "read" between the lines.

The original intention of this thread was "exactly" for Pentax user's looking for great quality "used" equipment.

Nothing more nothing less.

It is absolutely "ridiculous" to look at several thousand's of "misrepresented Brand Name listings" on Fleabay. When the main search purpose is to find "quality" Pentax equipment.

Without "flooding the marketplace" with useless listings, that no-one want's to look at.
I think Nester was joking...
11-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been there, done that...

Indeed, refining your seach will work wonders, eliminating all those items you are not interested in.

But if you want to find that buy of a lifetime on some improperly described item,
alas you are doomed to search everything, every day...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-07-2011 at 10:08 AM.
11-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Indeed, refining your seach will work wonders, eliminating all those items you are not interested in.

But if you want to find that buy of a lifetime on some improperly described item,

Chris
I was just thinking that myself. every time i try to 'cull' my search string, i think, oh gee, but what if someone went and listed it in 'homewares' instead of cameras????
11-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Of course! How else would I have found my Gulman tripod.
11-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #15

Another tactic is to be more specific, eg putting a specific lens eg Sigma 4.5 mm fisheye Pentax. What else would appeal to a fisheye freak? Keeping things country specific also gets rid of some trash. If you are looking for used gear, click used - this gets rid of almost all of the unwanted sites. For the sneaky ones, putting in a slight misspelling can pick up an advertiser who has made an error, meaning you may be the only one who knows of the item and hence may be able to score a bargain.