Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Got an Android Phone?

Then you probably aren't running the latest version of Android.

Android fragmentation chart shows most phones abandoned | Electronista

QuoteQuote:
The worst offenders were Garmin, Motorola, and Samsung.

10-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Only applies for people who don't know how to root and custom ROM their phone. Then again, not sure if they care about the latest version of Android.

Running latest Gingerbread version on my phone courtesy of CyanogenMOD 7.1
10-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sony didn't even make the list.. my Xperia X-10 has been WAY behind the curve since the first update after 1.6.. it was 8 months later than other manufacturers and has only fallen further behind.. I don't think they have done anything.. or care to.
10-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Sony didn't even make the list.. my Xperia X-10 has been WAY behind the curve since the first update after 1.6.. it was 8 months later than other manufacturers and has only fallen further behind.. I don't think they have done anything.. or care to.
It already has the Gingerbread update

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Android 2.3 Gingerbread update now available Unwired View

10-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

wow, I gave up playing the waiting game.. guess I should at least check every month or two..
10-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Only applies for people who don't know how to root and custom ROM their phone. Then again, not sure if they care about the latest version of Android.

Running latest Gingerbread version on my phone courtesy of CyanogenMOD 7.1

and people still can’t understand why so many people flock to apple?
10-28-2011, 03:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
It already has the Gingerbread update
I remember when an "Update" was a prostate examination. But if you guys want to call it 'Gingerbread', then to each his own.

Regards
10-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Interesting article.... iPhone only has 3 versions so it's easy to provide updates, whereas Andriod has countless variations. Look at Motorola....many of their US models are 3G with the same models being 4G in Canada. I presume they would need to release multiple versions of an update depending on the variations to each phone...

I had an HTC years ago that ran Windows. The Windows OS was a dog, but HTC extended the capability and I found a skin that extended it further. That was a great phone and it makes my current Blackberry Storm seem like an 80s style cellphone in comparison. The just released iPhone is a great phone but it too seems, well boring and outdated. I'll be in the market for a new phone shortly and had presumed I would go with an iPhone until I checked out my wife's new Andriod. I'd like to have an updated phone from that old HTC I used to own and because of that, I don't think I'll be happy with an iPhone.

Gotta love the names they come up with for the versions of Andriod. Gingerbread is being replaced with Ice Cream Sandwich (I'm not kidding).

10-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, my HTC Incredible only ever received one update. I wish phone companies would just use the base Android and not customize it. Otherwise man up and get the release out. I can't root mine because it is a company phone. Still I prefer it to my iPhone and iPad. I need to upgrade to iOS 5 though.
10-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Droid X2 got the Gingerbread update in September. Whether it will get updated further remains to be seen. The phone industry right now is much like PC's were in the mid 90's. The technology is improving so rapidly that hardware will need to be replaced on a very regular basis until it matures. With the Pentium 4, Athlon, and Windows XP, the PC matured and you no longer need to replace your computer to do what you want. Although my newest computers are very fast, my 10 year old P4 can run just about any program my new ones can and I can use it in a pinch. I still use it for backup storage. Our phones are going through the same process. The phone industry will hit a plateau in a few years but until then, just as computers were, they will be obsolete every few months. Also, be prepared for the financial fallout when that happens. The industry is thriving on the younger crowd wanting the newest and latest phone that does all the cool stuff. Remember the dot com bubble? When the industry matures, it will be deja vu all over again. Smart phones will be available in the bargain bin at Dollar General.