Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

“Buy American” is a dumb idea. It would not only not create prosperity, it would cost jobs and make us all poorer. David R. Henderson, an economist at the Hoover Institution, explained why. “Almost all economists say it’s nonsense,” he said. “And the reason is: We should buy things where they’re cheapest. That frees up more of our resources to buy other things, and other Americans get jobs producing those things.”

Ok, this may be the stupidest thing I have read lately. I think this just goes to show, just because you get quoted or put into print, it certainly does not equate to intelligence or sensibility.

Which "things" is he referring?? Silly.

Jason

11-06-2011, 04:06 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The problem is that for workers in developed nations to compete with workers in developing nations, there has to be something of an even playing field. Sweatshop conditions are inhumane wherever they are practiced and I feel that countries should have basic protections in place for their workers in order to participate in "free trade."

Anyway, the original article basically makes the fallacious point that if you buy cheap then, you will have more money to "buy American" and somehow support American jobs. However, if you buy cheap, you will have more money to buy Chinese, Vietnamese goods, not more money to buy American goods.
11-06-2011, 05:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
China Could Send 3 Million Jobs Back To The US By 2015

Made in USA comeback to bring 2-3M jobs | WWLP.com
11-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
“Buy American” is a dumb idea. It would not only not create prosperity, it would cost jobs and make us all poorer. David R. Henderson, an economist at the Hoover Institution, explained why. “Almost all economists say it’s nonsense,” he said. “And the reason is: We should buy things where they’re cheapest. That frees up more of our resources to buy other things, and other Americans get jobs producing those things.”

Ok, this may be the stupidest thing I have read lately. I think this just goes to show, just because you get quoted or put into print, it certainly does not equate to intelligence or sensibility.

Which "things" is he referring?? Silly.

Jason
Go to BestBuy or an Apple store and tell me what consumer electronic products are made in the USA ? When was the last camera you purchased that was made in the USA ? Do you think your kids are ready willing and able to work on an assembly line making consumer electronics , toys , dolls etc at wages low enough to be competitive in the world economy ? In the last few weeks I purchased a Core i7 MacBook Air with 256GB SSD drive and the GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 video card for my 6-core PC and all of the components were made outside the USA. BTW China’s economy will surpass the U.S. in 2016.

Last edited by jogiba; 11-06-2011 at 07:18 AM.
11-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Go to BestBuy or an Apple store and tell me what consumer electronic products are made in the USA ? When was the last camera you purchased that was made in the USA ? Do you think your kids are ready willing and able to work on an assembly line making consumer electronics , toys , dolls etc at wages low enough to be competitive in the world economy ? In the last few weeks I purchased a Core i7 MacBook Air with 256GB SSD drive and the GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 video card for my 6-core PC and all of the components were made outside the USA.
By*Jon Swartz, USA TODAY
Intel says it plans to build a $5 billion chip-manufacturing plant in Chandler, Ariz., by 2013.
Intel CEO Paul Otellini made the announcement today at the company’s plant in Hillsboro, Ore., after he gave a tour of the facility to President Barack Obama. (Obama named Otellini to the jobs and competitiveness council today.)

Construction of the new factory, to be called “Fab 42,” will start in the middle of this year. The facility is expected to create 4,000 new jobs and will be the most advanced high-volume semi-conductor factory in the world, Intel said.

Obama visited Intel to highlight the company’s support for education in science, technology, engineering and math. The previous night, the president huddled with a dozen high-tech executives — including Apple CEO Steve Jobs, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Google CEO Eric Schmidt — for dinner in Silicon Valley to discuss technology, jobs and education.

Obama says investments in education are critical for producing American workers qualified for high-tech jobs.

Intel to build $5 billion chip plant MADE IN USA NEWS
11-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
Intel has many fabs in the USA but is also getting into China and the CPUs and other chips made in USA will have to get shipped to China were most devices like laptops, iPads etc are assembled.

QuoteQuote:
Intel is investing $2.5 billion in the facility, bringing the company's total Chinese investment to date to $4.7 billion, the company said. Intel has been investing and partnering in China for 25 years. Intel also has a large assembly and test site in Chengdu as well as research and development centers and labs scattered throughout China, including in Beijing and Shanghai.

Intel plans to continue investing in China, said Otellini, but he did not give any further details. The "smart" revolution taking place in the computing industry creates exciting opportunities for Intel to pursue in China, he said.

Under construction since 2007, Fab 68 is roughly the size of 23 football fields at 163,000 square meters of factory space, Intel said.
Intel Opens $2.5 Billion Fab Plant in China - IT Infrastructure - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

Last edited by jogiba; 11-06-2011 at 07:38 AM.
11-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

BTW China’s economy will surpass the U.S. in 2016.
Not so sure about that.

First reason: people forget China is largely a manufacturing colony. The West tends to underestimate its technological and cultural-cognitive advantage. China still is a culturally closed system, i.e., a system which does not allow much creativity and innovation. The Chinese educational style reflects China's authoritarian rule: hard work, memorization, reproduction. (On the other hand, America's mere openness to creativity--including to those sources of creativity represented by many immigrants--might soon not be enough to compensate for the consumerist demotivation of the American youth.)

Second reason:
China's rich seek to emigrate for better life: survey | Reuters
QuoteQuote:
According to a survey released at the weekend by the Hurun Report, which also publishes an annual China rich list, and Bank of China, 46 percent of the 980 millionaires surveyed are considering leaving China.

Fourteen percent have either emigrated or applied, said the survey, which was done in 18 Chinese cities from May to September this year, and said 60 percent want to leave to seek a better education for their children.
Third reason:
China Could Send 3 Million Jobs
Back To The US By 2015

QuoteQuote:
According to a new report by The Boston Consulting Group, by 2015 wage inflation and a stronger yuan will force industries that have moved to China to come back to the U.S.
That could mean 2 to 3 million more jobs for the country, a lowered trade deficit (by 25-30%) and about $100 billion in output.

11-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Applied Materials had to fly in 100 interviewers just to screen all the job applicants for its new Solar Technology Center in Xi'an, China, last year. The company wanted to fill 260 high-tech jobs. It got 26,000 resumes. A fraction of those applicants were invited to interview. The final selectees, board member Andy Karsner tells me, "were top-of-their-class, English-speaking engineers. They're the best of the best."

Now some of the most advanced research in this high-value, fast-growing field is being done in China -- instead of in the U.S. with American engineers. Why should we care? Because it's graduation season, when we see how starkly the direction of the American educational system differs from the way that faster-growing economies are headed.

Those Chinese solar researchers are the cream of an engineering crop that included an estimated 10,000 Ph.D. graduates last year. This spring the U.S. will graduate about 8,000 Ph.D. engineers, an estimated two-thirds of whom are not U.S. citizens. About 150,000 students who majored in engineering, computer science, information technology, and math will collect bachelor's degrees. The Chinese government claims that in recent years the number in China has been well north of 500,000 and rising fast; even if overstated, as some believe, the real number is much larger than America's, and the quality of those graduates is improving.

Americans should be alarmed, not because we have to beat the Chinese on every statistic, but because those facts threaten the heart of our great economic story. Until the past decade most Americans lived a little better every year. From the nation's beginnings, the engine of that improvement has been technology that makes millions of workers more productive. That's why you learned about Whitney's cotton gin and the McCormick reaper in elementary school. A stagnant living standard has terrible consequences, one of which is that the country eventually stops attracting and keeping the world's best and brightest, triggering a downward spiral that grows ever harder to break.

The spiral may be well under way. Instead of staying in the U.S., our non-U.S. Ph.D. graduates increasingly judge home to be a more attractive option. Anand Pillai, a top talent executive at India's giant HCL Technologies, says that his best young recruits used to insist on being sent to the U.S. for a time, but now many of them resist going: "They see such great opportunities at home."

Its next turn could be the worst. As math and science talent accumulates abroad, companies do more of their hiring there, reducing demand in the U.S. That's partly why undergraduate engineering majors are a shrinking proportion of the total, down from 6.8% to about 4.5% over the past 20 years. Employers then claim they can't find engineers in the U.S. -- so they have to hire abroad.
The rise of engineers in China is leaving the US behind - Jul. 29, 2010

QuoteQuote:
China could overtake the United States as the world's dominant publisher of scientific research by 2013, according to an analysis of global trends in science by the Royal Society.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/mar/28/china-us-publisher-scientific-papers

Last edited by jogiba; 11-06-2011 at 08:13 AM.
11-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm finishing a PhD in the U.S. I come from an ex-Communist, Eastern-European country (Romania). On average, US graduate programs are the best in the world, and by far, IMO. In any case, there's no comparison between the PhD programs here and those in my country. I haven't been to China, but I have serious doubts concerning the quality of their programs.
As for the number of scientific papers... the word "scientific" can cover an amazing range of text production.

(Undergraduate education in the US is a completely different story, unfortunately. The vast majority of US undergrads seem to be well below students from the ex-Communist European countries with respect to writing, reasoning and math skills.)

Last edited by causey; 11-06-2011 at 08:41 AM.
11-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Intel has many fabs in the USA but is also getting into China and the CPUs and other chips made in USA will have to get shipped to China were most devices like laptops, iPads etc are assembled.

Intel Opens $2.5 Billion Fab Plant in China - IT Infrastructure - News & Reviews - eWeek.com
That may be true, but shipping Intel chips to China for insertion into Macbooks (and Windows PCs) doesn't seem to have affected Apple or Intel, has it?

Intel shows that Made In USA can compete on the global stage, and in response to your post, people's children will be happy to be putting together electronics. More to the point, Intel chooses to manufacture in the US for a number of reasons, one being the highly qualified talent pool. Here's some more from Andy Grove:

"Grove says Intel has been making, or "fabbing," chips in the U.S. since its founding in 1968--for practical reasons, mind you. "That was not a result of us wanting to be patriotic. Operationally that was the most logical thing for us to do," he said, in a phone interview.
Why, historically, has it been practical for Intel? "The people doing the technology manufacturing were highly trained, highly disciplined staff. And there was a lot of desire to not start manufacturing operations willy-nilly all over the place," he said."
The Intel investment "is a vote of confidence in America with real money rather than talk," said Dan Hutcheson, CEO and chairman of VLSI Research. "They have great infrastructure in the U.S. Skill sets are already in place and don't have to be developed."

And the multibillion plants Intel builds spawn a satellite of sub-contractors, services, and other businesses that results in a virtuous cycle of job creation. In the case of Arizona, where Intel has manufacturing facilities, the company contributes more than $2.6 billion in economic impact to Arizona, including more than 20,000 jobs as a result of operations there. And that is just Arizona. This positive impact is more or less duplicated in New Mexico and Oregon too, according to Intel.

Conversely, that virtuous cycle is moved to foreign countries when companies shift production offshore. "Foxconn has 1 million people doing manufacturing," Grove says, referring to the Chinese manufacturing Goliath that builds products for a host of computer and device companies in the U.S.
"Look at the ramp of the Foxconn headcount. Foxconn was practically zero on that scale. Then this decade they took off.""

Intel's Andy Grove on manufacturing in America | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

Imagine how much better off we'd be if those million Foxconn jobs were here in the US? I bet you out of the millions of Americans currently unemployed or underemployed you'd be able to find a million of them more than happy to assemble iPhones and iPads.

Most of the discussion around US manufacturing centers around the idea that we can't compete with countries like China and Vietnam with regards to wages. True, but that's not the only way to look at the situation - that's a race to the bottom. Why not a race to the top? Why not follow Intel's model and develop jobs that require skills that we have and things that we can do better?

Look at Germany, for example. How do they manage to compete successfully on the world stage when they have labor wages as high as the US - maybe even higher when you consider that they have socialized medicine and strong unions (about a third of the workforce is unionized)? They certainly don't do it by racing to the bottom - by competing with cheap manufacturing. Instead, they've done a great job of seeking the high ground, by making the words "Made in Germany" imply precision and quality.

Here's an article by Andy Grove that explains his position further:
Andy Grove: How America Can Create Jobs - BusinessWeek

"Recently an acquaintance at the next table in a Palo Alto (Calif.) restaurant introduced me to his companions, three young venture capitalists from China. They explained, with visible excitement, that they were touring promising companies in Silicon Valley. I've lived in the Valley a long time, and usually when I see how the region has become such a draw for global investments, I feel a little proud.

Not this time. I left the restaurant unsettled. Something did not add up. Bay Area unemployment is even higher than the 9.7 percent national average. Clearly, the great Silicon Valley innovation machine hasn't been creating many jobs of late—unless you're counting Asia, where American tech companies have been adding jobs like mad for years.

The underlying problem isn't simply lower Asian costs. It's our own misplaced faith in the power of startups to create U.S. jobs. Americans love the idea of the guys in the garage inventing something that changes the world. New York Times columnist Thomas L. Friedman recently encapsulated this view in a piece called "Start-Ups, Not Bailouts." His argument: Let tired old companies that do commodity manufacturing die if they have to. If Washington really wants to create jobs, he wrote, it should back startups.

Friedman is wrong. Startups are a wonderful thing, but they cannot by themselves increase tech employment. Equally important is what comes after that mythical moment of creation in the garage, as technology goes from prototype to mass production. This is the phase where companies scale up. They work out design details, figure out how to make things affordably, build factories, and hire people by the thousands. Scaling is hard work but necessary to make innovation matter.

The scaling process is no longer happening in the U.S. And as long as that's the case, plowing capital into young companies that build their factories elsewhere will continue to yield a bad return in terms of American jobs."
11-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Go to BestBuy or an Apple store and tell me what consumer electronic products are made in the USA ? When was the last camera you purchased that was made in the USA ? Do you think your kids are ready willing and able to work on an assembly line making consumer electronics , toys , dolls etc at wages low enough to be competitive in the world economy ? In the last few weeks I purchased a Core i7 MacBook Air with 256GB SSD drive and the GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 video card for my 6-core PC and all of the components were made outside the USA. BTW China’s economy will surpass the U.S. in 2016.
Jogiba, I already am aware of this and you are preaching to the choir about \best Buy. Still making absolutely no attempt to bring back manufacturing into the USA and denying and solutions to the problems we have with unemployment and massive debt is the Achilles heel of our current American mindset. Stating the comparisons in economy between China and the USA should be the swift kick up the ass of every politician, business owner and citizen to realign the priorities that somehow seem to be from another planet these days.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 11-06-2011 at 09:20 AM.
11-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #27
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
That may be true, but shipping Intel chips to China for insertion into Macbooks (and Windows PCs) doesn't seem to have affected Apple or Intel, has it?
Many companies are having record profits with very high productivity and low payroll costs but there is a huge shortage of skilled labor in the US .

If all the posted jobs in America were suddenly filled, the unemployment rate would fall by at least 3 percentage points.
Why Are There 3 Million Unfilled Job Openings in America Right Now?
11-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Jogiba, I already am aware of this and you are preaching to the choir about \best Buy. Still making absolutely no attempt to bring back manufacturing into the USA and denying and solutions to the problems we have with unemployment and massive debt is the Achilles heel of our current American mindset. Stating the comparisons in economy between China and the USA should be the swift kick up the ass of every politician, business owner and citizen to realign the priorities that somehow seem to be from another planet these days.

Jason
The House on Tuesday passed a non-binding resolution reaffirming "In God We Trust" as the national motto. The measure sponsored by Rep. Randy Forbes, R-Va., supports and encourages the motto's display in all public schools and government buildings. Randy Forbes and his Tea Party aholes should be put in a group home for spending their time reaffirming stuff like that.
11-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Many companies are having record profits with very high productivity and low payroll costs but there is a huge shortage of skilled labor in the US .

If all the posted jobs in America were suddenly filled, the unemployment rate would fall by at least 3 percentage points.
Why Are There 3 Million Unfilled Job Openings in America Right Now?
...so I should not buy an American product because that will increase the need for jobs that can't be filled? I'm not following you...what's wrong with buying an American made product that keeps profits in America that encourages the American operation to expand that creates a greater demand for employment?
11-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Made in USA: 10 Great Products Still Made Here (Slide 1 of 10) - CBS News

QuoteQuote:
Are any good products still made in America?

Conventional wisdom says U.S. companies have shuttered their factories and moved manufacturing abroad for cheap labor. During the recession, 2 million manufacturing jobs vanished. Here's the story you don't hear: The United States is still the world's largest manufacturing economy, producing $1.6 trillion of goods each year, or 21 percent of global production. And that number may rise as more companies move back to the United States in search of lower costs and higher quality.
Which products are (still) made in USA - American manufacturing sector - MSN Money

QuoteQuote:
•The United States is still the world's largest manufacturer, producing 21% of global manufactured goods -- the same share it has held for 30 years. Second-place China is far behind at 15%, and Japan is third at 12%, says the National Association of Manufacturers.
•U.S. manufacturing output is up almost 2.5 times since 1972.
•Perhaps most importantly, factory workers and craftspeople have played a big role in leading us out of this recession. U.S. exports hit a record $173 billion in March, up 15% from a year ago and 37% from 2009. Manufacturing accounts for 17% of the 4.5% rise in U.S. real gross domestic product since the bottom of the recession in the second quarter of 2009, according to Moody's Analytics.

things-still-made-in-america-thestreet: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

QuoteQuote:
Last month, a study conducted by global management consulting firm Booz & Co. with the University of Michigan's Tauber Institute for Global Operations, said the future of U.S. manufacturing is being decided now.

"Today, U.S. manufacturers provide about 75% of the products that Americans consume," the study says. "But that number could soar to 95% within a few years if business and government leaders take the right actions. Conversely, if the sector remains neglected, that output could fall by half, meeting less than 40% of U.S. demand."

The report was based on a sector-by-sector analysis of U.S. industrial competitiveness, along with a survey of 200 manufacturing executives and experts.