Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You answered 27 out of 33 correctly — 81.82 %

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-06-2011 at 11:34 AM.
11-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
In each of the following areas, for example, officeholders do more poorly than non-officeholders:

Seventy-nine percent of those who have been elected to government office do not know the Bill of Rights expressly prohibits establishing an official religion for the U.S.
Thirty percent do not know that “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” are the inalienable rights referred to in the Declaration of Independence.
Twenty-seven percent cannot name even one right or freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment.
Forty-three percent do not know what the Electoral College does. One in five thinks it either “trains those aspiring for higher political office” or “was established to supervise the first televised presidential debates.”
Fifty-four percent do not know the Constitution gives Congress the power to declare war. Thirty-nine percent think that power belongs to the president, and 10% think it belongs to the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Only 32% can properly define the free enterprise system, and only 41% can identify business profit as “revenue minus expenses.”
Civic Literacy Report - Additional Finding
not surprising...........
11-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentaxians score high...
11-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

i'm a french college student, i don't know a lot about US history, and got 20/32 (60.61%)

I did 9 mistake, all related to the Constitution or almost.

I did 2 mistake, related to a misunderstanding (federal reserve and buying/sellin "securities"; and flood levee.)

I did 1 mistake -> "MORON !!!!" is all i could think after seeing the answer.

Clearly it's ideological, specially for economy.
For all related to Constitution, it's a shame to not know it for US citizen : it's the foundation of your country, your law, your culture.

Was fun

11-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %
11-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"correctly" is highly subjective in this case. "correctly" means you agreed with the ideology being pushed with that disguised "test," it does not always mean that you know about the Constitution, Economics, or History.

I agree with all of RioRico's comments.
11-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You answered 26 out of 33 correctly — 78.79 % rolling round the floor laughing!

11-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got 23 correct, and I hadnt even heard of some of these people and events involved in US history. Some of the questions had a dfinite political edge to them.
11-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

My result. Obviously pro capitalist pro market humbug however. Watch out for anything with "liberty" in it. So in order to give a "correct" answer I had to give an answer that conformed to the conventional wisdom of the far Right -

- note the first question that I got "wrong" below. Obviously a parent sends off his son to die in some stink hole on the other side of the world because they "can benefit from it without directly paying for it". This kind of impoverished intellectual and moral thinking is so typical of the contemporary Right.

Results

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

Incorrect Answers

Question: A flood-control levee (or National Defense) is considered a public good because:
Your Answer: citizens value it as much as bread and medicine
Correct Answer: a resident can benefit from it without directly paying for it

Question: If taxes equal government spending, then:
Your Answer: government debt is zero
Correct Answer: tax per person equals government spending per person on average

Last edited by wildman; 11-07-2011 at 04:12 AM.
11-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny. I wouldn't have described the quiz as being from the "far right." Certainly right of center though. I got a 93 percent. Even if you didn't agree with the answers, there would only be one option that could be picked, the rest wouldn't have made any sense.
11-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
27 years old. no college education.

According to the opinion of this professor both of those answers would be less than 100% right. The anti-federalists were against broad powers of taxation, but....

QuoteQuote:
Nevertheless, the Anti-Federalists' major contribution to the Amer can founding lay more in
their critical examination of the new form of federalism and the new form of republican
government than in their successful campaign for a bill of rights. The Anti-Federalists sought
substantial restrictions on federal power, which the amendments subsequently adopted did not
provide. Suspicious of a strong national government, these opponents nevertheless failed to
agree on an alternative constitutional arrangement. Still, the legacy of the Anti-Federalists
persists in our constitutional debates over federalism and republican government.
http://www.apsanet.org/imgtest/ConstThoughtAntifederalists.pdf

Other than what happened on what date, multiple choice history tests are rather flawed creatures. With or without an agenda, they often test which answer is least wrong. I found that on, for example, the bar exam (not history, but equally subjective), the less you think about them the better.
11-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
My result. Obviously pro capitalist pro market humbug however. Watch out for anything with "liberty" in it. So in order to give a "correct" answer I had to give an answer that conformed to the conventional wisdom of the far Right -

- note the first question that I got "wrong" below. Obviously a parent sends off his son to die in some stink hole on the other side of the world because they "can benefit from it without directly paying for it". This kind of impoverished intellectual and moral thinking is so typical of the contemporary Right.

Results

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

Incorrect Answers

Question: A flood-control levee (or National Defense) is considered a public good because:
Your Answer: citizens value it as much as bread and medicine
Correct Answer: a resident can benefit from it without directly paying for it

Question: If taxes equal government spending, then:
Your Answer: government debt is zero
Correct Answer: tax per person equals government spending per person on average
I got both of the ones you answered correctly. Our previous Liberal government ran about 12 years of surplus budgets and yet we still have a debt. If Obama ran a surplus next year the US would still have a debt, difference between debt and deficit which might have been what they were looking for on the test.
11-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
According to the opinion of this professor both of those answers would be less than 100% right. The anti-federalists were against broad powers of taxation, but....

http://www.apsanet.org/imgtest/ConstThoughtAntifederalists.pdf

Other than what happened on what date, multiple choice history tests are rather flawed creatures. With or without an agenda, they often test which answer is least wrong. I found that on, for example, the bar exam (not history, but equally subjective), the less you think about them the better.
I will not deny that I clearly did not remember anything about the anti-federalists. I didn’t know, and common sense didn’t prevail. I feel bad about it because in all honesty I should have known. but I agree about your assessment of multiple choice tests, and I’ve always felt that way. oh well, I guess 32 out of 33 is still better than a lot of our countries leaders. thats counts for something right?
11-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I will not deny that I clearly did not remember anything about the anti-federalists. I didn’t know, and common sense didn’t prevail. I feel bad about it because in all honesty I should have known. but I agree about your assessment of multiple choice tests, and I’ve always felt that way. oh well, I guess 32 out of 33 is still better than a lot of our countries leaders. thats counts for something right?
I haven't taken the test myself, but that sounds like an excellent score.
11-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #30
Inactive Account

I got 31/33 and I didn't find any of the questions to be factually wrong. They were chosen to specifically make you recall certain low points for the left like FDR's supreme court fight, push some hot button issues for the right like abortion and evolution, and plug a couple of points about free market economics without providing any balance from Keynesian economics.

What was most disturbing to me was the results from elected officials not knowing about the freedoms specified in the Declaration of Independence, the role of the Electoral College, what Susan B Anthony fought for, the power to declare war (guess they lost track of that with Vietnam, Iraq I, Afganistan, Iraq II, Libya, etc.), first amendment freedoms, the definition of profit, and the three branches of government.