Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #106
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Since it is a communal family tomb the question of whether wife #2 went in or not may have had more to do with the other relatives' wishes than his or hers. Just a possibility.
True, and Liz explanation could also be true. But I could imagine a couple of other explanations too. I'm actually more interested in who she was and what she did after his death. But the burial issue may be related.
One key question is: did she inherit him? Is that where his negatives went?

05-14-2013, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #107
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Takuma Kajiwara the inventor

One of the least known aspects of Takuma Kajiwara's photographic career is his attempts as an inventor of various photographic equipment.

This device appears to have the purpose to be able to mount one dry glass plate in a film camera. Did it make it into production? I know there were such devices. Later on similar devices were sold to allow you to mount blade film in film cameras.
Remember that Takuma first came to the St Louis because a dry plate manufacturer wanted him to run a studio for him during the 1904 world fair, and that St Louis was the centre of dry plate manufacturing in North America with three of the major factories. There is a high probability that Takuma used dry plates for at least his early portraits, though it remain to establish what camera he used. But it all converge to that this is problem he may very well have thought of as important.
05-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #108
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
"Be it know that I, TAKUMA KAJIWARA, a subject of the Emperor of Japan, residing at the city of St. Louis, State of Missouri, have invented a certain new and useful Improvement in Cameras, of which..."
Almost a hundred years ago.
05-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #109
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is another one:

If I get it right, Kajiwara is acknowledge for 3/10th of this invention. But what is it? A photo album?

05-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #110
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And one more:

05-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #111
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Takuma Kajiwara in WWI

I'm in depth to forum member Liz_in_Calgary for pointing me to Takuma Kajiwara's drafting card for the first world war. It is silly I did not think of that since I've looked for my own US-relatives in the same data base, but since Japanese inhabitants in the US could not become citizens I presumed they could not be drafted (based on Swedish law). But obviously they could. Of course, in WWI Japan and the US was even allied. But I don't think he served any time in the armed forces....? Perhaps if the war had lastet longer. Since he was drafted in September 1918 there were not much time to the peace in November. Did he begin some training? Otherwise it would have been cool to see him as a war photographer in Europe....

This document confirm some of the assumptions we have made based on the grave stones and Mike's translations. By this time his farther was dead and his mother (Chie) is listed as nearest relative.
07-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #112
Veteran Member

That is only a draft registration card, not an indication of having actually been called for military service.
08-05-2013, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, very cool. Incidentally, his feline namesake at Casa De RML is like nearly all growed up:

08-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #114
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is only a draft registration card, not an indication of having actually been called for military service.
I realize that, Mike, and with his registration so late near the end of the war it probably didn't go any further. He wasn't directly young any longer either.
But it is nice that it confirms his mothers name and indirectly that his father was dead at that date.
08-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #115
Veteran Member

We just misunderstood each other. You said "since he was drafted", and "drafted" means actually being called to report for military service.
08-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #116
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
We just misunderstood each other. You said "since he was drafted", and "drafted" means actually being called to report for military service.
Sorry! I should actually know that. But as it is with foreign languages, knowing is one thing, and remember to use that knowledge is another thing

Anyway, holiday is over here, and I hope to have something new to write in this thread within a few weeks...
08-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
... Anyway, holiday is over here, and I hope to have something new to write in this thread within a few weeks...
Looking forward to it ... J
08-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #118
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Very interesting thread! Thanks for putting so much effort into this - it's turning into a mystery novel

Looking forward to the next chapter!
08-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #119
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!
08-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #120

This thread has been an amazing resource for information about Takuma Kajiwara. I've enjoyed reading all the information and documents. My interest in TK stems from a photograph of his I bought at an estate sale. I though y'all might like to see it. The woman in the photo was a May Queen at the University of Missouri in the 1910s. Anyone have an idea what it might be worth?
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]