Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Banned

Texas F1 race is dead, New Jersey F1 race is the problem

QuoteQuote:
Asked if the USGP was in danger of being dropped ahead of the final World Motor Sport Council meeting in New Delhi on December 7 when the 2012 calendar is officially ratified, Ecclestone said: 'Yes, it will be, for sure, 100 per cent.'

Last month's announcement of a street race in New Jersey, featuring Manhattan as a backdrop, which will take place in 2013 has further complicated matters for all concerned with the GP in Austin.

That much was made clear on Tuesday by Texas state comptroller Susan Combs who said New Jersey had the potential to affect the economic impact of their race.

Combs further confirmed Texas taxpayers would not be held accountable for the $25million sanctioning fee (£15.8m), required a year in advance, for the race.

Of late, Texas has used a tool known as the Major Events Trust Fund to attract large-scale events to the state such as Super Bowl XLV and the NBA All-Star game.

However, Combs now maintains it will not now be used for F1 due to the emergence of the New Jersey race, and ongoing dispute over the race rights.
United States F1 Grand Prix set to be dropped - Bernie Ecclestone | Mail Online

11-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Forum Member

That's goo bad, F1 I prefer F1 to PPG or IRL. Only place in N.A. now is Montreal.
11-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dndcdr Quote
That's goo bad, F1 I prefer F1 to PPG or IRL. Only place in N.A. now is Montreal.
It looks like NJ will have a 10 year contract for the NJ F1 race starting in 2013.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/163059-new-jersey-set-host-f1-race-2013-a.html

Governor Chris Christie joined state and local officials to announce that Weehawken and West New York will play host to an annual Formula 1 Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial starting in 2013 on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 in Weehawken.

click here for full size image
11-16-2011, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't expect that race to last the full 10 years. Good old Bernie will start demanding more and more money from the promoters that run the race and when they start balking Bernie will pull the race. That's what he did to the F1 race in Indianapolis.

11-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Don't expect that race to last the full 10 years. Good old Bernie will start demanding more and more money from the promoters that run the race and when they start balking Bernie will pull the race. That's what he did to the F1 race in Indianapolis.
Aww, I dunno. It looks like fun, anyway. I likely wouldn't drive any distance to go see a race, but if they make a street fair of it, why not. Kinda hope it works out. If no one gets too indignant about someone closing off the streets.
11-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
The NJ race will be F1's showcase race in America and Bernie knows better than to screw up this deal. The Indy deal with Tony George was dead meat after the Michelin disaster and was not worth it to Bernie.
11-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Actually the Michelin disaster had very little to do with a new contract between F1 and IMS. Everybody agreed that the problem with Michelin was there own fault because they did not test tires after they were notified that the track had been micro ground.

Bernie demanded that Tony George basically needed to double the ticket prices so they would be in the same price range as the rest of the F1 races and Tony flat out refused. Because of that Bernie pulled the race.

But thats ok, IMS is doing just fine without F1, lets see, Indianapolis 500, Brickyard 400,Red Bull Grand prix Motorcycles and starting next year, the Nationwide cars along with the Grand Am series.

11-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
Track construction halted. 300 out of work.

Formula 1 racing in Austin could be dead

A recent photo shows construction work on the pit paddock area of the Circuit of the Americas.

Read more: Formula One: Austin's Circuit of the Americas suspends track construction; race under threat - Autoweek
11-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2011, will go down as the day when the racing died in Austin, Texas. The 2012 Formula One United States Grand Prix and the track that would host it, the Circuit of the Americas, were dealt a one-two punch that seems unsurvivable--though neither the race nor the track has formally been pronounced dead.

Read more: Game over for the U.S. Grand Prix and the Circuit of the Americas - Autoweek

The unfinished dream: This is turn seven of the planned Circuit of the Americas track near Austin, Texas.
11-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting development. I recall a thread about this some months ago, and - although I'm far from being an avid racing fan - I was intrigued with the prospect. Austin is an easy drive from here, and we could combine a trip to an F1 race (gotta be a cool experience) with a few days touring the hill country in the roadster.

However, after delving into the matter back then, I lost some of my ardor. For one thing, a 10-year commitment from the METF of 250 mil total was beyond its original charter and required some rule bending/changing engineered by Comptroller Combs, and the payoff level is far from assured. Also, I reviewed a series of Autoweek articles about the F1 organization and the person and character of its boss, Ecclestone - who seems to be one of those who leave a path of woe in his wake, at least here in the U.S. In fact, there was a good deal of push-back from legislators from both parties given Texas' big budget deficits. Frankly, I suspect (but certainly don't know) that a fair number of Texas tax payers would regard Combs' pull back from this gig as a return to common sense, particularly since the New Jersey race threatens to dilute interest for (and weaken returns of) the Texas race.

Nevertheless, I sure hate to see the folks building the track lose their jobs - a tough break in tough times.

Jer
11-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I used to think F1 was important. But then I discovered sex. Driving fast is a poor substitute.

As it happens, I've lately been reading (whilst sitting on the toilet) about F1 history. I can stay interested up until about 1972 and the Lotus 72 JPS (John Player Special). From then on, F1 machines no longer bore any resemblance to roadable cars. I'm no luddite here. I grew up in Drag City, home of the NHRA Winternationals and a SCCA road course. I drove some quarter-midgets and karts. But what pass for racing machines now are IMHO alien constructs that just don't connect emotionally with me at all. Guess I'm still in love with Formula Vee.

What could help: a Formula-E, for electro-cars. Hot-rod some e-Cars, yeah, that's the future.
11-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Sports are always a boondoggle. It really depends on the sport as whether or not a particular city/state, etc. has enough fans to support the boondoggle. Texas doesn't surprise me as F1 doesn't have enough fans to justify boondoggle money. Maybe a new football stadium or even a NASCAR track but not F1. I'm surprised Jersey is going through with it. It's going to cost a fortune to fill in the potholes.
11-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
It's going to cost a fortune to fill in the potholes.
11-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
Ecclestone says US Grand Prix must sign contract by next week or 2012 race off

QuoteQuote:
The 2012 U.S. Grand Prix will be canceled unless the organizers in Texas sign a contract with Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone by the end of next week and prove they have the money to put on the race.

Ecclestone said it was likely there would be one fewer race in 2012 if the Texas organizers didn’t sign the contract in time.

Ecclestone said he had not considered moving up the race in New Jersey that is scheduled for 2013. A 10-year agreement has been reached to hold the race along the Hudson River waterfront, providing striking views of the Manhattan skyline.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/othersports/autoracing/f1-boss-ecclesto...vUN_story.html
11-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Whaaaa whaaaa whaaaa.

Texas can't let anyone else host anything without threatening to take their marbles and go home if they don't get a monopoly. Do they really thing skads of fans are gonna come from the east coast to watch a race in Austin even if it's the only event. Fans will go to both if it matters enough to them. Non-fans won't go to either no matter who or where it's hosted.

Mike