Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, I Didn't Take A Freakin Picture!!!

Coming out of the library I had a little close encounter with nature. I went to put my books in the trunk and I hear this weird noise so I go around the car. Right under the driver's door half under the car is one big freakin viper of some kind. Big head, definitely triangular, had all the markings of the wrong kind of snake to be messing with, and it didn't sound too happy that I was in the immediate vicinity either. So I backed up and went back to the benches near the library.

About 10 minutes later it comes streaking by so fast I can't even see it hardly and goes off into the drainage ditch behind the library. That weird noise, I'm pretty sure that was a rattlesnake. That encounter it made me wish I had my K-x and a really long lens with me but unfortunately all I had was the little pink mini camera and there was no way I could have gotten close enough to have taken a pic without risking getting bitten. That snake was just sounding way too pissed to be trying to get that close to it. What he was doing in the library parking lot is beyond me. It couldn't have picked a worse spot to nap than half under my car. You can bet I'll be watching my feet around there from now on though!

11-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We are going to forgive you this one time for not getting the shot.

Don't let it happen again.

11-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Figures the one day I didn't have my K-x and my 75-300 Sigma handy....wink...Seriously though I think I came thisclose to shizzing myself. Don't get me wrong I got nothing against snakes, but that was one big freaking snake, maybe poisonous, and he definitely didn't want me messing with him!
11-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What a wimp! I want to see a picture of this snake using a DA15, up close and personal! And make sure you frame it to get a nice starburst, too, please.

11-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

No pics, didn't happen!

Just kidding, you were smart to give it a lot or room to move as it saw fit.
11-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sounds like a sensible thing to do, avoiding the snake.

We may have a right to photograph people in public spaces but try explaining that to a snake who's thinking "you ain't got ANY rights as far as I'm concerned."
11-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

sensible to move on. i've had some close encounters with rattlers up here. (my grandfathers 2nd wife got bit on the hand 3 feet from me when i was 4)
last close encounter i was walking around a stone beach up north with my dog taking some pictures and could hear a buzzing sound, looked around saw nothing kept walking, went back to the car drove up to the point and when we drove back half an hour later there was a huge rattler working it's way across the road right where we'd been. Closer than i like to be to them you were plenty smart to move off
11-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went back there today and mentioned it to the librarian who was checking me out. She just nodded and said "Yeah, you do have to watch where you step around here sometimes." like I was talking about a grasshopper or something. Then she looked up and asked me if I was aware of the gators and the crocodiles they have out back. Having seen the signs I said "Uh yeah, but they stay down in the ditches behind the fences, right?" She said "Mostly..."

In terms of nature that library is pretty cool actually. You see 3 different kinds of squirrels, all kinds of birds, the odd raccoon, even otter over there sometimes, and yes, once I saw a gator down behind the fence I think, but a rattler? One of the other librarians said they have all kinds of snakes, non-poisonous and poisonous and she particularly mentioned rattlers and water moccasins.

I think I'm going to start using the main branch downtown now... ;P

11-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Depending on where you are, this is the time of year when snakes are moving looking for a place to spend the winter. In the last 3 weeks we've killed 2 ground rattlers on the back sidewalk of our house and I've seen 2 rattlers (diamondback and timber) on the road to the house. Once you hear a rattler rattle, it's a sound you will never forget. If he was already rattling, you are dang lucky he didn't bite you when you looked to see what the noise was.
11-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There really is only one way for me to react to this...

Sorry, just kidding. Actually, I'm a bit jealous. The tiny little bits of nature we have here in Holland are really very boring. I have to revert to the macro and even micro world to find monsters to photograph. No risks involved there.
11-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Snakes are cold blooded and the shade under your car was a perfect hiding place out of the hot sun and a likely spot to snag a foraging small rodent such as a squirrel or chipmunk. It would have made a nice shot but how many of us walk around doing daily errands with a telephoto?