Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Supercommittee Shows GOP Is Taking Hostages Again:

Supercommittee Shows GOP Is Taking Hostages Again
Nov 17, 2011 4:45 AM EST
A handful of Republicans are open to compromise on the deficit, but many more are prepared to use the supercommittee to harm the country for political gain, says Michael Tomasky.

It’s nice to see that Republican senators like Lamar Alexander of Tennessee and Mike Crapo of Idaho are talking about breaking ranks on revenue. But it’s just talk. The actual Republican position as of this writing submits to $250 billion in semi-phony revenues but seeks to add $3.7 trillion to the 10-year deficit. And the supercommittee is a panel that, remember, is charged with reducing the deficit. This is more politics by hostage-taking, just like during the debt-ceiling fiasco.
Click here to find out more!

So what do I mean when I say they want to add $3.7 trillion to the deficit? I mean that they want to make the Bush tax cuts permanent. The cost of the Bush tax cuts over the next 10 years comes to $3.7 trillion. They’ve said to the Democrats, in other words, that they will agree to minor revenue increases now, but only on the firm condition that the Democrats accept depleting the Treasury by 15 times as much over the next decade. What sort of idiot would take that deal? It’s not a deal at all. It’s hostage-taking, no different in spirit from the kidnapper who feeds you well for a few days but then takes the money and shoots you anyway.

This is way the Republicans play politics these days. Attach the debt-ceiling vote to completely unprecedented demands for spending cuts. Subject the debt-ceiling vote to cloture rules so that raising the limit requires 60 votes instead of 51—for the first time in the history of the Senate, since it began raising the debt limit during World War II. And now, agree to revenue increases, as long as you can force the other guys to agree to revenue cuts that you know and they know would cripple their party’s priorities and program for the country.................................

.........This morning on NPR, Andrea Seabrook reported that the Republicans on the supercommittee are “saying that they are going to vote en bloc.” So there you have it. Now ask yourself: If they are going to vote as one, do you think six Republicans are going to vote for meaningful revenue increases? Or are they possibly a little more likely to vote en bloc against any tax increases? The former is possible, I suppose. And the State College Rotary Club could give its Man of the Year award to Jerry Sandusky.

If Seabrook is correct, and there’s no reason to think she isn’t, there is no point to any of this. The committee consists of 12 members, six from each party. A simple majority vote can approve a plan. So, if one Republican took a Lamar Alexander pill the morning of the vote, you just might get a 7-5 tally for a compromise plan. But the en bloc posture makes that impossible. Such a posture makes democracy impossible.

Michael Tomasky: Supercommittee Shows GOP Is Taking Hostages Again - The Daily Beast

11-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Michael Tomasky (born 1960) is a liberal American columnist, journalist and author. He is the editor in chief of Democracy, a special correspondent for Newsweek / The Daily Beast, a contributing editor for The American Prospect, and a contributor to The New York Review of Books.

Michael Tomasky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
11-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jack Quote
Michael Tomasky (born 1960) is a liberal American columnist, journalist and author. He is the editor in chief of Democracy, a special correspondent for Newsweek / The Daily Beast, a contributing editor for The American Prospect, and a contributor to The New York Review of Books.

Michael Tomasky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Does that mean that his comments, therefore, have no value and should be ignored - or does it mean that he must therefore be absolutely correct?
(just puzzled)

Last edited by stevewig; 11-18-2011 at 08:51 AM.
11-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Does that mean that his comments, therefore, have no value and should be ignored - or does it mean that he must therefore be absolutely correct?
(just puzzled)
You can guess, of course... Funny how they call all journalism but Fox and talk radio 'the liberal media' and then say 'Don't listen to any... journalism?'

11-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Colbert's "Word" on other Republican deficit reduction gems:

The Word - The 1% - The Colbert Report - 2011-17-11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
11-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #6

It is just a reference on the author and which side his story will lean.
11-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is just a reference on the author and which side his story will lean.
Fair enough - I have no problem with that. That is why I stated my source in the quotation too!

But are you doing the same editorializing for Republican quotations in this forum?

Or are they exempt from this requirement?
11-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #8

But are you doing the same editorializing for Republican quotations in this forum?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/political-religious-discussion/165629-oba...waii-asia.html

11-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Obama thinks Hawaii is in Asia
The above is an excellent example of twisting the facts (IE:Lying) in an attempt to discredit someone who is disliked.
Have you ever had a slip of the tongue? Perhaps you were distracted and something wrong just blurted out.
It happens to most people from time to time in their lives.
Think long and hard, because if that has ever happened to you, then you are, by your own definition, a retard.
Or, you might just have a double standard, in which case you are what is commonly referred to as a hypocrite.
Or, you might be that 1 in 7 billion people who has never had a verbal slip up.
Which is most likely?
11-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #10

First of all, he asked
Fair enough - I have no problem with that. That is why I stated my source in the quotation too!

I sent him to this thread for confirmation. Secondly, yes, everybody makes mistakes, but if it's a conservative they're called names and and raked over the coals. If the 'golden child' is brought up, we're all supposed to bow down in awe. For the rest of the argument, see that thread.
Just to prove he's human.
Obama Has A Bush Moment In Bali)
Is this headline bipartisan enough?

Last edited by Jack; 11-18-2011 at 02:23 PM.
11-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First of all, he asked

I sent him to this thread for confirmation. Secondly, yes, everybody makes mistakes, but if it's a conservative they're called names and and raked over the coals. If the 'golden child' is brought up, we're all supposed to bow down in awe. For the rest of the argument, see that thread.
Looks like you still haven't learned the difference between a brain glitch and ignorance. Few people harshly judge someone because of normal mental/physical blunders we all make; but that is a different species (no, kingdom) from speaking incorrectly because one hasn't studied, plus is so blinded by ambition one believes one can run for the Presidency with layperson knowledge. Fools like Palin, Cain and Bachmann actually require our harsh judgement in order to save our country from their hubristic stupidity.
11-18-2011, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First of all, he asked

Sorry Jack you lost my interest in discussing the issues with you - try somebody else!

(Smiley faces, gotcha moments and lack of logical, intelligent argument switch me off)

Bye!