Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...and yet, there was a time Miranda was near the top of the SLR heap, when the heap wasn't so high...

Of course as consumers and opinionators we are free to feel and think whatever... but from the pov of being in the business, these things are important. So Nikon and Leica can charge top dollar - and engineer / build up to that sort of standard - big deal. Our pentax loves don't need excuses. If someone is happy paying the multi $K for a top Leica, good for them. But experience shows that if Panasonic wants to do something at a Leica price, they better put a Leica badge on it

11-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
...and yet, there was a time Miranda was near the top of the SLR heap, when the heap wasn't so high...

Of course as consumers and opinionators we are free to feel and think whatever... but from the pov of being in the business, these things are important. So Nikon and Leica can charge top dollar - and engineer / build up to that sort of standard - big deal. Our pentax loves don't need excuses. If someone is happy paying the multi $K for a top Leica, good for them. But experience shows that if Panasonic wants to do something at a Leica price, they better put a Leica badge on it
Well, actually, I like to say that the Miranda I knew was very like the Lumix of their time, actually.

(And don't get me wrong, I really did like a lot of the glass, but my tastes can be odd that way)
11-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...you should see (and will, once I find my scanner! ) the 1967 review of the G and Sensorex.
11-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
...you should see (and will, once I find my scanner! ) the 1967 review of the G and Sensorex.

I'd love to see it. A Sensorex was the first SLR I ever owned in my own right.

11-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

For the record, I think Nikon IS the best at the moment, though it's not a huge gap.
11-30-2011, 03:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

There are two types of Nikon buyers that will pay more.

1. Professionals that pay more for the quality of the higher end models and the support that buying a major brand comes with.

2. People who buy a D3000 and kit lens at Wal Mart, then immediately post an ad on Craigslist offering to do boudoir and wedding photography for money.

The first group is smart and makes up a small portion of the profits that Nikon (and Canon) make. The second group is a bunch of rubes and will pay any price for anything with the word Nikon on it. Just look at the number of D90s people are still trying to get $1100 for used after their photography "business" failed. The D90 is junk compared to the K-5, and people will still pay a premium for it.