Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ratmagiclady for pres!!! "Leader of the free world" as I have sometimes heard the job referred to.

Anyway I agree with what you say, but can Democracy anything but rule by the lowest common denominator. Not that I have a better idea.

11-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Ratmagiclady for pres!!! "Leader of the free world" as I have sometimes heard the job referred to.

Anyway I agree with what you say, but can Democracy anything but rule by the lowest common denominator. Not that I have a better idea.

Well, careful what you wish for. I worry enough as it is: that job would kill me inside a week, even if I insisted on wearing bunny slippers. "I'd like you to meet my chief of staff, Mr. Christopher Walken... Fun idea, but it probably just wouldn't work. It'd be 'small government,' though: I could only work a few hours a day... Though I suppose if I got the right hairdo, I could have Rachel Maddow for press secretary *and* Secret Service double.

I dunno, they could be wheeling me around in a back brace, but I could have the nation's first all-star celebrity cabinet... We could even make a reality show about it, 'So You Think You Can Govern?'

(In all hypothetical seriousness, though, I said it about McCain and I'd say it about myself: you don't want a PTSD case for a Commander in Chief. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-23-2011 at 05:20 PM.
11-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I am of the 8%. 13 of 13. Woohoo?
That makes 2 of us. Although, I'm beginning to wonder about being in the group with you. I was amazed at the number of people in some of the other groups. If you read any newspaper at all, you should be able to answer these simple questions.

I think mikemike didn't recognize sortomayor because she was nominated by Obama, so he blocked it out of his mind.
11-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Sonya Sotomayor is a Supreme Court Justice. She was President Obama's first SC appointment. His second was Elena Kagan.

Factoid: She is the sister of my childhood allergist. That leaves me, and thousands of other people in the Syracuse, NY area, three degrees of separation from President Obama.
Thanks Boris. I'd never heard of her. Does that meake me any less intelligent, or just less informed.

As I said, this is not an IQ test, just a test of general knowlege with particular bias towards US politics.

Its always interesting to know someone who knows someone. Even a couple of degrees of separation gives the characters in the game a more human scale.

11-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving to those who cellebrate it.
@ Wiz of Oz - You are absolutely correct this is not in any way an IQ test , it is simply a test of knowledge of current events with emphasis on US politics. Sorry if the title of the test or thread were in anyway misleading. I would not have questioned or refuted the intellect of any member here.
@ RML- I found your explanation of the "Islamic symbol" interesting. I thought that I had seen it used in other instances and assumed that one of the other choices was Arabic writing ( which for all I know might have said "have a nice day"). Any more info would be appreciated.
@ the others who took the few minutes to take the quiz ,congats we seem to have an above average knowledge base here. It's a shame that some of our membership feel the need to repeatedly make the assertation that conservatives and or those who simply watch Fox news are "stupid" , "uninformed" or "idiots".
11-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
It's a shame that some of our membership feel the need to repeatedly make the assertation that conservatives and or those who simply watch Fox news are "stupid" , "uninformed" or "idiots".
well I can't speak for everyone here, but I have never accused anyone who watches FOX news of being an idiot or stupid. uninformed? more like severely misinformed. to say that FOX news is anything but biased and pathetic as a news agency, would in my mind be stretching the truth so much you may as well simply call it lying. they are indeed that bad. but then, I'm comparing to non-US news agencies, because I personally do not trust any american news corporation. of course I understand, that telling a conservative that a conservative biased and conservative owned news corp with a strongly conservative agenda that clearly caters to conservatives (mostly the extreme conservatives) is anything but 'honest, fair and unbiased' is a waste of time. when someone (Not specifically naming you, just conservatives in general) look at politics in one way and one way only, the news that appeals to your ideals is going to be good enough at face value to be 'fact' and those that don't follow your ideals are going to be... well, I let the FOX news fans fill that in.

at the end of the day, if I were to honestly and as unbiased as possible, compare all the american news agencies, FOX news would be dead last. they are a joke, and thats being nice. and remember I'm neither a republican or democrat and identify with neither the left or the right, respectively.

and just a reminder, I also got all 13 right.(if that even means anything) so I'm not just some ignorant kid. I do have a clue what I'm on about. FOX news is terrible, and I think its a shame that so many right wingers are too lost in ridiculous party ideals to see FOX news for what it is. I don't see the attacks on FOX news as being liberal and left wing attacks on conservatives, but more of common sense and decency within the world of journalism and news reporting attacking a foul, misinformation spreading corp. of course we are talking about thin lines of separation between FOX and its rivals. they all are pretty terrible.
11-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving to those who cellebrate it.
@ Wiz of Oz - You are absolutely correct this is not in any way an IQ test , it is simply a test of knowledge of current events with emphasis on US politics. Sorry if the title of the test or thread were in anyway misleading. I would not have questioned or refuted the intellect of any member here.
@ RML- I found your explanation of the "Islamic symbol" interesting. I thought that I had seen it used in other instances and assumed that one of the other choices was Arabic writing ( which for all I know might have said "have a nice day"). Any more info would be appreciated.
@ the others who took the few minutes to take the quiz ,congats we seem to have an above average knowledge base here. It's a shame that some of our membership feel the need to repeatedly make the assertation that conservatives and or those who simply watch Fox news are "stupid" , "uninformed" or "idiots".
Happy Thanksgiving..

but to be perfectly honest.. I do not believe "we" here reflect the "masses" whatsoever... so and "data" gathered here would be a bit frivolous.

Maybe my 'liberal elitism" showing through ...............

Watching this w/ a critical eye is all you need to know about "FauX'

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/dc5e05e8f4/Megyn-Kelly-Pepper-Spray-Thanksgiving?rel=player

It JUST burns you eyes.. like THAT'S no big deal......... funny...
It's a food product.. so is Ricin........there are a few "mushrooms" totally organic that would change both of their opinions about "stuff"....
How about concentrated cyanide from apples.. food product..

Most acute poisoning episodes in humans are the result of oral ingestion of castor beans, 5-20 of which could prove fatal to an adult.
it's JUST a bean right????
in all fairness it's O'Reilly that's the real douche.........since Kelly had the baby she's becoming more err "liberal"... funy how humanity does that.

QuoteQuote:
At that point, O'Reilly brusquely wraps up that line of discussion with a "Yeah, but I don't think we have the right to Monday-morning quarterback the police."

Finally, Kelly appears to scoff at law enforcement's contention that officers felt surrounded and endangered by students who refused orders to disperse. That position may seem at odds with the demeanor of the officer who appears to walk blithely back and forth in front of the row of seated students, shooting pepper spray in their faces.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/hey-megyn-kelly-how-about-...per-spray.html
"Really? Does this guy look like he feels threatened? I don't know," Kelly says.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-24-2011 at 09:42 AM.
11-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Seacapt

I too think from what I have read or heard that those who get their news from FOX are misinformed. Take the latest that Pepper spray is a food derivitive so it must be not that dangerous. Tell that to the victims of the Tokoyo subway attack that it was only a food derivitive. But that is totally different from saying that conservatives are less intelligent. If one listens to say a David Brooks for example one would be well informed. IMHO most of the media in the States that I have been exposed to with the exception of MSNBC is mostly central in bias. Those who only get their info from a site or sites that deliberately misinform or lie as opposed to spin or slant are going to be illinformed people who will appear stupid when they repeat the so called facts they heard or read. I say so called facts because any fact checker will find that they are not true.

Seamuis : you have it exactly right.
The right as well as the left should be attacking FOX. They deserve better.
11-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pike should be charged and IMO convicted for aggravated assault.

some of our membership feel the need to repeatedly make the assertation that conservatives and or those who simply watch Fox news are "stupid" , "uninformed" or "idiots".
How would you describe them? Please note this is not an attack I'm honestly curious.
11-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Let us split it up a little:

Conservatives are definitely NOT stupid whether they watch FOX or not. They have a well stated and clear philosophy of life which is opposed by that of a Liberal in several respects and regardless is one that is well enshrined throughout the US way of life. The Conservative does not want any further encroachment from the Liberal left and many seek to reverse many of the encroachments that have already taken place.

FOX is one of the propaganda mouthpieces for this purpose. When you watch it, and I do from time to time, no damage is done provided you are aware of what you are watching. If you watch it and allow it to change your opinion then you are permitting propaganda to form your opinions. Nothing wrong with that either - we all, unless we are made from concrete, change our opinions throughout life based on different types of information from different sources.

FOX, at its worst, is the unfortunate downside to FREEDOM and is not alone by any means!

The US is the most Right Wing Country in the democratic world, in my humble opinion, can stand a lot more encroachment from the Left and still remain a Right Wing Country!
FOX is here to prevent that!

Last edited by stevewig; 11-24-2011 at 02:37 PM.
11-24-2011, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Take the latest that Pepper spray is a food derivitive so it must be not that dangerous. Tell that to the victims of the Tokoyo subway attack that it was only a food derivitive. .
This statement confuses me. The Japanese subway attack was done with sarin gas which is by no means remotely related to pepper spray. One is lethal the other is not are you trying to compare the two as if they are equal in lethality?
11-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thats because the bastard's name sounds Australian, or maybe African.

(Kangaroo and Cameroon, for the uninformed)
Huh?

Actually, I'd just gotten the impression he'd already been ousted: he doesn't actually seem to have been getting much mention on the World Service lately. BUt, like I said, I've actually been having trouble focusing lately. I just thought I was more behind than I was on that one.
11-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Let us split it up a little:

Conservatives are definitely NOT stupid whether they watch FOX or not. They have a well stated and clear philosophy of life which is opposed by that of a Liberal in several respects and regardless is one that is well enshrined throughout the US way of life. The Conservative does not want any further encroachment from the Liberal left and many seek to reverse many of the encroachments that have already taken place.

Good post: but I do consider 'stupid' to refer to being unable or unwilling to assimilate new information. Whether or not the 'stupor' is 'sincere' doesn't actually bear on the correctness of it. Or upon where an insistent refusal to be or speak as though self-aware will get one.

'Playing stupid' just cause you profit by it for a while and maybe congratulate yourself on how clever a strategery that was... Or hat it's some grand ideology, ..Doesn't make it not stupid. It just means you *want* to play stupid.
11-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #44

I have to take exception to one of the questions - since we entered Afghanistan, MANY more than 1,800 have passed. Perhaps ony 1,800 in Afghanistan, but many more gave their lives in Iraq.
With Veteran's day just behind us and Thanksgiving yesterday, I feel it is my duty as a veteran of 20 years to remind us all of this.

And don't forget either, that many of our Allies have sacrificed as well. May they rest in peace and God bless their sacrifice.
11-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
This statement confuses me. The Japanese subway attack was done with sarin gas which is by no means remotely related to pepper spray. One is lethal the other is not are you trying to compare the two as if they are equal in lethality?
I now think I was wrong as it was Sarin not Ricin but my point was that just because something is related to a food product does not make it safe. Lots of poisons come from plants for example. Sure pepper spray is not toxic although accumulative it may have serious permanent affects. It pisses me off that the hosts were making light of it only due to it being related to a vegetable we use in the home as if the fact that some of the protesters ended up in the hospital due to it did not happen. I have been hospitalized due to exposure of chlorine gas and it could be made light of as "isn't it what we use in our tap water so basically a health product". It was dishonest. Sorry if my connection was not made clear and I do know that one is lethal and one is not, I did work for a couple of years in counter terrorism training (as videographer and photographer) and so had to do some basic training of learning a little bit of that and also in personally having to handle mustard gas and nerve agents as well my co worker made a video of one of the scientist making ricin.
Closed Thread