Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Banned

Bizarre helicopter crash caught on camera

QuoteQuote:
A helicopter pilot is back at home and remarkably unhurt after a terrifying crash on Auckland's waterfront.

Greg Gribble was using the B2 Squirrel helicopter to set up the Telecom Christmas Tree this morning.

The chopper had lifted a pylon into the air and was slowly descending when the crash, shown live on a stream on tvnz.co.nz, happened.
Helicopter pilot back home after amazing escape | NATIONAL News

11-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, the people on the ground are damn lucky a rotor didn't take one of them out. you could see it coming, damn tight spot to work a helicopter in
11-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More here:
VIDEO: Auckland chopper crash - full video - National - Video - 3 News

If you go in about 3 min there's another viewpoint too, check the guy standing under the chopper, after the crash he gets up!
11-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yikes. The first video I thought it had hit the vertical structure. But Arpe's post shows it looks like the rotors caught the line it was towing. Interesting the jolt going through the airframe broke the rear section so fast.

Last edited by tuco; 11-23-2011 at 05:10 PM.
11-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
More here:
VIDEO: Auckland chopper crash - full video - National - Video - 3 News

If you go in about 3 min there's another viewpoint too, check the guy standing under the chopper, after the crash he gets up!
This looks like the same video on youtube:
11-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yikes. The first video I thought it had hit the vertical structure. But Arpe's post shows it looks like the rotors caught the line it was towing. Interesting the jolt going through the airframe broke the rear section so fast.
its hollow, and the tail is usually the first to go in a situation like that. the counter forces of the main and tail (anti-tourque) rotor need to be precisely balanced. with that kind of jolt, its really not surprising that the tail rotor broke that quickly. the tail rotor is connected to the main through a drive shaft and gearbox system. so if the main rotor catches something like that, the tail way out on the end of the tail boom is going to have the jolt quickly transferred to it. if you've ever been around helicopters much, you'd probably wonder how the things even stay together in the air. I'm not a pilot, but my father built and worked on them for more years than I've been alive. I've seen a few go down, close up.

Last edited by séamuis; 11-24-2011 at 08:50 AM.
12-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In some sense, all helicopter crashes are bizarre. I've also seen a crash in real life. The helicopter went crazy, started to turn faster and faster around its own axis, lost height and crashed on the ice. Half an hour later it sank into the Arctic Ocean. All survived and got out of it before it sank.