Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
'Mac & Cheese', a black thing?

Pat Robertson: What Is This 'Mac And Cheese,' Is That A Black Thing? | Crooks and Liars

11-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Marketing Magic ... product life cycle

Proof that Pat Robertson knows what he speaks about.

I am not one of the many who eats Kraft diner as we buy the 5 kg boxes of macaroni to make ours.

Last edited by redrockcoulee; 11-24-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: forgot what they ended with
11-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Banned

Is Martha Stewart black ?

11-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Over the years I've started to limit how many dishes I make for Thanksgiving because I'm just not cooking for as many people as my Mom used to. We used to make two kinds of potatoes and either rice or mac and cheese, stuffing, 3 vegetables including green bean casserole, a couple of types of biscuits, a turkey, a ham and about 6 pies. It was nuts. It was total starch overload and way too much food. Even with as many people as we had coming we had leftovers for a week. So yeah, mac and cheese was on the menu sometimes, but honestly I think it's a southern thing, not a racial thing per se. It's pretty common south of the Mason Dixon line to see it on the table at the holidays. FYI, my family is Caucasian and for years we made it. Still do a lot, just not for Thanksgiving anymore.

11-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Banned

Paula Deen Cooks Macaroni and Cheese

I bet this tastes great !
11-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Over the years, I have had lots of homemade Mac & Cheese. My son is even a chef and makes it on occasion. I like all of the various versions. Having said all of that - there is something a bit different about Kraft Mac & Cheese that really appeals to me. I remember when it was a nickel a box when I was in school. Now its well over a buck.... nothing like inflation.

11-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If I am going for fast food mac and cheese I usually grab a Stouffer's so at least I'm getting something by way of actual nutrition out of it but yeah, that Kraft stuff that comes in a box with orange powder does hit the spot once in a while. It's kind of like doing commercial ramen noodles or a can of Beefaroni. I know they're not really great for me and they really don't taste nearly as good as the real thing but I want them sometimes anyway.

When I was a kid I ate a lot of Kraft Mac,Chef B, and Ramen. My Mom could cook like mad but there were a lot of days when she just didn't want to. She'd cook on weekends sometimes, and for holidays, but that was about it. I learned to open cans and spread peanut butter fairly early on. I was pretty thrilled when we finally got a microwave even though our first one didn't brown anything worth much. Microwave veggies, bacon, nuking Stouffer's, that made my life a whole lot easier as a kid. She never did really teach me to cook. My current level of culinary skills, that's been all my doing. I'm actually a better cook now than she ever was.

I can make real mac, several varieties now, but still, I like a box of Kraft or some Stouffer's now and again. It's comfort food for the kid in me I guess.

11-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Macaroni cheese is one of those meals a child could make, it's ironic that so many instant versions of it exist, the commonest in the UK being the Heinz tinned variety. As a side dish, cauliflower cheese is commoner here though.
11-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Over the years, I have had lots of homemade Mac & Cheese. My son is even a chef and makes it on occasion. I like all of the various versions. Having said all of that - there is something a bit different about Kraft Mac & Cheese that really appeals to me. I remember when it was a nickel a box when I was in school. Now its well over a buck.... nothing like inflation.

Yeah, the prices of food kind of suck that way... it does get harder to eat cheap. (After largely living on that stuff for a lot of worse times, I don't think I wanted to look at it for a couple of years, but it's still useful to get my calorie intake up somewhere near where it ought to be, and I got over it. ) I like a lot of the store brands better than Kraft, anyway. Doesn't hurt that those are still cheaper. Obviously, I've got quite the refined palette about boxed mac and cheese.

I had no idea it was such a widespread Thanksgiving tradition, though. Not something I ever seem to have run into back home. (Who knows what Robertson's excuse is, there, maybe he just couldn't resist a chance to be racist or classist or something. )

I presume one does it up all properly-baked for a feast and all.
11-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm am gagging....... WOW. Thanks!!!
11-28-2011, 05:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Mac and Cheese aside... Pat Robertson is a racist and misogynistic anachronism who would have been right at home on the pre-Civil War south preaching the divine right and obligation of white people to own black slaves and the propriety of keeping your wives at home and pregnant.

He frankly sickens me.

Mike
11-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Mac and Cheese aside... Pat Robertson is a racist and misogynistic anachronism who would have been right at home on the pre-Civil War south preaching the divine right and obligation of white people to own black slaves and the propriety of keeping your wives at home and pregnant.

He frankly sickens me.

Mike
Mike

We said, if not a little too politely stated
11-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Most of the tele-preachers are a joke. I've never seen a more nasty, self centered lot of people. Billy Graham isn't too bad, but the rest, I have little liking for. They don't act like they follow their "messiah" at all, none of them. They build up wealth and power and use it to disdain, criticize and control the rest of the world, all those "brothers and sisters in Christ" that they're supposed to love. They totally mock Jeshua of Nazareth and his teachings most of them. People like Pat Robertson are a good part of the reason I decided early on that Christianity simply isn't for me. Between that, the whole original sin=jesus is messiah+we must all be saved or be damned thing Christianity as a religion is about as appealing to me as the idea of having a multiple root canal every day.

No offense to those who believe all that. I believe that a person has the right to believe whatever they like and I'm cool with most Christians who try to practice what Jeshua actually taught for the most part. But these preachers who try to twist what the man actually says, insist the entire Bible is to be taken literally, and who use said Bible to put down people they don't approve of they're just plain mean and or crazy, IMHO. Christianity as a religion I can take, in small doses, Christianity as a backwards cult I have absolutely no patience for. I don't like any religion that gets too dogmatic and too elitist actually, and honestly I don't like the God of Abraham no matter what religion he's at the head of. He's a rather nasty sort for a God of Love.
Closed Thread