Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Things like "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" are what I miss least about living in the USA full time. I spent Friday the 25th enjoying good food, 3 hours in the Louvre and a pipe organ concerto at the Notre Dame that evening.
Certain USA mass-hysteria rituals like Black Friday, Stupidbowl, etc are ripe for wise exploitation. Shopping-frenzy days are good for staying home or taking a rural drive. Mass-viewing days are good for perambulating, when the roads are empty because everyone is tube-glued and devouring obesity snacks.

Much USA life is boring or difficult to observe anyway, because it's predominantly lived inside vehicles and structures rather than out in public view. That's why I love Central American village+town life -- it happens outside, people walking around, working, playing, interacting, not holed-up in isolation tanks.

Suburbia IS a cultural wasteland.

11-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wanted to score the Nik Software Complete but alas the offer was only good in the US
11-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Things like "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" are what I miss least about living in the USA full time. I spent Friday the 25th enjoying good food, 3 hours in the Louvre and a pipe organ concerto at the Notre Dame that evening.

Jason
sounds like you had a wonderful day. I completely agree. this things really make me despise living in the US. when you see on the news, people pepper spraying others inside a wal-mart, to get a video game system... you just have to shake your head. is this what makes america 'the greatest country, ever in the history of the world' as some seem to claim it to be? is this really what this country has come to? and to comment on RioRico's statement also, it days like these that make me mis being in Baguio, for the same reasons that he likes central america. suburbia is indeed a wasteland.

I bought absolutely nothing on 'black friday' or 'cyber monday'.
11-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Parts for a new computer...

AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte 970 MB, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD HD 6770 graphics card, 120 GB corsair SSD, PSU, after market heat sink, and a copy of Windows 7 all for less than $700 including taxes on the stuff I got locally and the shipping for online stuff. Can't wait for the case to come in so I can start building it.

11-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love black Friday/late night Thursday sales I personally think its quite fun trying to hunt down and score deals, but than again Im young.

Personally I saved about $250 because I went, scoring 6 video games, a kinect, several dvd's, etc. Plus I had a great time doing it with my sister, cousin, and family friends
11-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I avoid mob shopping. It turns people ugly and bitter and that's not the environment I want to be in when I'm looking for a gift.

Turns out the Zoo has better parking options

Although you will find untamed beasts there

Found this poor guy scared white after another cock called him a turkey last Wednesday afternoon.

11-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Aaa! Too cute.

(And a baby goat, which is about as cute as it gets. )
11-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

B&H had $50 off a LaCie 1TB external drive, on Monday. It arrived yesterday. I'm pleased.

11-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
B&H had $50 off a LaCie 1TB external drive, on Monday. It arrived yesterday. I'm pleased.
My last LaCie died quickly. I hope yours lasts longer. Good luck!
11-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #25
rhe

Photos: Albums
Ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad X220 at 48.35% off (Nov.25 doorbuster sale).

Travel laptop 12.5" LED back lit IPS display with 4 GB 1333MHz RAM.
11-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Actually it would seem I did score a Barbie. My folks just gave me this girl this morning. They found her while shopping on Friday in a clearance bin. $11 for a $20 Barbie...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zqFoq3qej2c/S1--bOZNtgI/AAAAAAABOxA/0XsCW2TzYys/s400/model+3.png
11-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Is it the aluminum one, or as they say in Britain, aluminium, or as one might say in the spirit of transatlantic amity, aluminiuminum?

I ended up with a Minimus one, about my last big purchase before things got harder, ..was supposed to be my primary backup but has become my primary storage. (since my computer has only double-digit gigabytes himself) I only paid about 75 bucks, so if there was 50 bucks off that I'd be interested.
12-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I went for one that plugs into a wall wart, it's a basic shiny black rectangle with a blue light on the bottom. The initial backup is slow, I only have USB 1.1 and after 7 1/2 hours it was still chugging along less than 25% complete. But this will be the second hard drive I'm backing up the photos on.
12-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

If you have a spare PCI slot you could probably add 4 USB 2.0 ports to your computer for $10 or less. I added PCI card to my mother's first generation Pentium 4 tower five or six years ago.
12-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #30
Banned

I went for one that plugs into a wall wart, it's a basic shiny black rectangle with a blue light on the bottom. The initial backup is slow, I only have USB 1.1 and after 7 1/2 hours it was still chugging along less than 25% complete. But this will be the second hard drive I'm backing up the photos on.
getting your moneys worth is understandable, but I think it is time to upgrade if you are still using USB 1.1. the benefits outweigh any cost, ten fold. you can do so without upgrading your entire system, as pointed out above. but its time to upgrade. how you can do photo library backups on 1.1 is beyond me. also, purchasing an expensive drive such as a LaCie seems kind of strange when you can't take anywhere near full advantage of its capabilities using USB 1.1.