Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What a difference a few months make..

Last spring, I was commenting how wonderfully noisy the sound was coming from the air. Living right on the Mississippi, the ducks and geese were heading north and they were not doing so quietly. Now, between the river in front of me and the woods behind, it sounds more like a war zone. Being right smack in the middle of deer and duck hunting season, guns are a blazing. Shooting starts at first light, so there's no chance of sleeping in. With a good NW wind, I almost swear someone is hunting out on my front lawn. I don't hunt myself, but I wish those who do would keep bankers hours.

Larry

11-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The hunters would be with you if you can get the game to cooperate as well.
11-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

War zone, eh? Some years ago I was driving cross-country in November and I stopped to see friends in Lincoln Nebraska. That night, a sudden early blizzard blew in from the Rockies. All the many trees in Lincoln thought it was still autumn and still wore their bright leaves. The weight of the snow broke EVERY TREE IN THE CITY. The sound? It sounded like an army of guys with shotguns were wandering around, firing every few seconds, all night long. Geese and hunters would have been quiet in comparison.
11-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know they are close when you hear the shotgun pellets landing on your roof.

11-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
War zone, eh? Some years ago I was driving cross-country in November and I stopped to see friends in Lincoln Nebraska. That night, a sudden early blizzard blew in from the Rockies. All the many trees in Lincoln thought it was still autumn and still wore their bright leaves. The weight of the snow broke EVERY TREE IN THE CITY. The sound? It sounded like an army of guys with shotguns were wandering around, firing every few seconds, all night long. Geese and hunters would have been quiet in comparison.
Oh, Lady, you should have head it down here during the first of the freak blizzards after like a decade of drought, ...trees coming down, brances and trunks blowing out, transformers detonating, ...it was madness.

Not too much worry about hunting season, in the very neighborhood, though: only had to get all Secret Service about my sweetie a few nights since we've been here. It's pretty much just pistols around here, but just occasionally someone's throwing a lot of shots around.... apparently never hitting anything, but... y'know.

More than once back home I'd be having a bit of a woodland ramble, hear shots, and then realize I should have been carrying something really orange.
11-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yeah, that happened here too. Probably the same storm you're talking about. Major branches down on every tree in sight.
11-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, that happened here too. Probably the same storm you're talking about. Major branches down on every tree in sight.
Lincoln NE was a total mess, totally closed down for at least a day whilst neighborhoods worked on pulling downed trees (in huge snow drifts) from the roadways. I couldn't leave for three days.
11-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Lincoln NE was a total mess, totally closed down for at least a day whilst neighborhoods worked on pulling downed trees (in huge snow drifts) from the roadways. I couldn't leave for three days.
October of, hmmm, '97 or thereabouts? Power out for about 3-6 days depending on your location. Trees downed everywhere from 6-12 inches of wet, soggy snow on branches that still had leaves?

We were out in Seattle and flew back into that mess, we were among the lucky ones with underground power lines and it had not gone out at our place (Bellevue, just S of Omaha) while we were gone.

You were lucky to only be stuck in Lincoln for 3 days - that city does a terrible job of snow removal, compared to its neighbors!

Jim

11-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
October of, hmmm, '97 or thereabouts? Power out for about 3-6 days depending on your location. Trees downed everywhere from 6-12 inches of wet, soggy snow on branches that still had leaves?
Late November 1997, it was. My story: Our father in Los Angeles died a few months before, and my sisters and I decided whilst dividing his property that Barbi in New York City deserved his Jeep Cherokee. (She also got all his Minoltas.) So I rolled down from north of San Francisco to LA and drove the Jeep cross-country to deliver it. I stayed in NYC a few days, then arranged for a driveaway car to return to LA.

Weather was good when I stopped in Omaha to see friends. Then the storm hit. As I said, snow removal was all ad-hoc by neighbors. No power; we heated the house with many candles. Catbox odors became a bit strong. Ewww...

After a couple days, roads were clear enough to get around town a little. We went out to dinner; the ONLY food service we could find was a Long John Silvers' serving fish sandwiches to long-line crowds grateful for the sustenance.

And after 3 days, roads were cleared to the interstate highway, which for 100 miles was lined with immobilized big-rig trucks. Travel was dicey to Wichita and I was *so* glad to reach Albuquerque, out of the storm paths.

QuoteQuote:
You were lucky to only be stuck in Lincoln for 3 days - that city does a terrible job of snow removal, compared to its neighbors!
I didn't hang around for comparisons.