Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you want to work for Nat Geo huh

have a look at this chart of hazards experienced i found on peta pixel then pop in and read some of the stories at the links. Definitely takes the Glamour out of being a Nat Geo tog

Vignettes - The Photo Society

12-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
have a look at this chart of hazards experienced i found on peta pixel then pop in and read some of the stories at the links. Definitely takes the Glamour out of being a Nat Geo tog

Vignettes - The Photo Society
They are paid and insurred in consequence I'm sure.
12-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Banned

that panther has a thing for nat geo photographers.
12-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
They are paid and insurred in consequence I'm sure.
I have a friend who has freelanced for them a couple of times. pay is decent but not stellar. The business spinoff by being a nat geo shooter has helped though. he hasn't shot any of the dangerous stuff though. More stuff like a Sumo Wrestling Contest in Vancouver year back

12-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow, I experience half of that in a weekend shooting in DC...
12-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Wow, I experience half of that in a weekend shooting in DC...
getting Stoned with religious groups again huh

Oops my bad that says getting stoned by religious groups

Nevermind
12-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nevermind
Eddie - that is soooooooo funny that you said that, I actually have a shot I took last week to where a religious group was no to fond of me snapping a photo - I will post later on when I get back...

12-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
there are more on the ng site

my favourite is
Trips into Chernobyl Reactor

3X Really you'd think after tripping into a nuclear reactor once you'd be more careful
12-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Eddie - that is soooooooo funny that you said that, I actually have a shot I took last week to where a religious group was no to fond of me snapping a photo - I will post later on when I get back...
I got chased off by some pro life loons for taking snaps for a local rag
12-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'd have to pay me a lot more than they do to get me to work for them, awesome trips to places like Africa notwithstanding. I don't care about the cachet of working for them. The pay scale doesn't even begin to cover the discomforts and the dangers of being a big magazine travel photographer and I thought that before I saw this. I appreciate the result, it's inspiring, but I would think you'd almost have to have a priest-like vocation to do that job for long. In theory I like the idea of taking pics all over the world, sure, but the sight of the first real non-zoo anaconda or the first leech etc, that would definitely put a damper on my enthusiasm.

The poverty thing would get to me too. I still remember seeing the abject poverty in one section of the Bahamas and getting very upset as a kid. Tin shacks, kids running around stick skinny with no shoes it's a hard thing to see a lot of. I cried my eyes out over that. I'm pretty close to broke 90% of the time but I'm still well aware of how good I have it compared to a lot of people in this world. The only way I can deal with that kind of poverty is to do what I can locally and try not to think too hard about what I can't do anything about. Otherwise it just overwhelms me emotionally and I can't cope. Going to some place like Calcutta? I'd be in tears the whole trip and likely I'd come back near naked because I end up giving most of my personal stuff away out of sheer guilt over how privileged I am.
12-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
On three occasions I ventured deeper into the failed Chernobyl reactor than any western still photographer. Ironically, for these visits the National Geographic lawyers required that I assume personal liability! To get the best possible photographs published in the magazine, I took on the radiation exposure risks on my own.
That's b*tchy!
12-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Nevermind
Haha that's gold