Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Canon/Nikon: The Industry "Standard"??

I stopped by a small photography studio I had been curious about on my way home from the store a few days ago. Me and the Guy that ran the place had some good conversation about photography and the differences between brands. At one point, he mentioned when he used to teach college photography, he would always tell his students to use the "industry standard" Canon or Nikon camera if they're looking for a job, or they won't even waste their time with you. I was quite shocked by that statement, but I also don't know much about the industry in that regard. Ironically, a few days later, I read a description online for a photography job, which required use of a "Canon or Nikon" SLR Camera (with NO mention of a preference for full frame). I'm curious to get opinions about this idea which apparently favors these two popular brands. Does this really exist? How prevalent is it? Why do certain areas of the industry think this way? Please no fanboy responses. Try to be as non-biased as possible.

12-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's just because they have so much of the market share (>80%), so there's a lot of common knowledge among pros and they can share gear and lenses - the two brands are almost part of popular culture. Canon/Nikon cameras are probably the best choice for any kind of action photography, although the difference doesn't become drastic until you're spending tens of thousands on your gear.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you use either of these two brands and you happen to have a body or lens break or fail, they are so popular that it is quite easy to rent what you need for short or long term.

Most lens rental places don't do any rentals for the 'less popular' cameras, i.e. Pentax, Olympus, Sony, Fuji etc.

For a pro that's a good reason to stick with the main two.
12-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Zav
Pentaxian

Those two are offering a real pro service as well. Unlike Pentax.
Canon Professional Network - Canon Professional Services

12-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Zav, I just saw a blurb (somewhere on this site) recently that Pentax has a Professional Services (PPS) option, too. I can't vouch for its quality, but apparently it's out there.
12-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #6

Don't overlook the fact that if you're sent out on an assignment and destroy a lens, you're a lot more likely to be able to replace a Canon or Nikon lens the same day. This is the value of ubiquity - universal availability.
12-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Fact is, Canon & Nikon are the industry standard for pro's. If I wanted to be a pro I'd be switching to one of them, but I don't, so I'm not

12-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Fact is, Canon & Nikon are the industry standard for pro's.
Rather, C&N are the industry standard for certain imaging pros. Other pros require Hasselblad, or Sony, or Holga, or Nokia. There is vastly more to photo-imaging than is covered by the relatively few products from C&N. IMHO the idea that only images produced by C&N gear constitute 'photography' is pretty constipated, and totally wrong. That's a marketing meme.

Yes, for photournalism, action, sports, event shooting, C&N are dominant, but not ubiquitous even there. All the staff toggers on the cruise I took awhile back were shooting Olympus. I know established wedding shooters using Oly, Sony, even Pentax. I think many technical-scientific-investigative shooters use forensic dSLRs from Fuji and Sigma. I've read that many combat photographers use rugged Pentax.

Are the "photo-pros" to whom C&N appeal actually a shrinking market segment of professionals? That would be an interesting study: What proportion of paid-for images are shot with which cameras?
12-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Rather, C&N are the industry standard for certain imaging pros.
I agree. the idea that canon and nikon define 'pro' in the field of photography and nothing else fits the definition, simply because one believes marketing jargon, is just utter nonsense. the world of professional photography extends so far beyond the borders of what the marketing department at canon and nikon want people to believe. so far beyond, and the choice of equipment follows suit. nobody would deny that both canon and nikon have good saturation in certain areas of professional photography, but to say they are 'industry standard' and leave it, so broadly defined and so narrowly represented is just absurd and reeks of no proper understanding of 'professional photography' outside of canon and nikon TV commercials.
12-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Zav, I just saw a blurb (somewhere on this site) recently that Pentax has a Professional Services (PPS) option, too. I can't vouch for its quality, but apparently it's out there.
After a little search, yep, you are right: PENTAX - PENTAX ANNOUNCES PRO PROGRAM: BENEFITS INCLUDE EQUIPMENT LOANS AND EXPEDITED REPAIRS
For the USA only...
12-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I agree. the idea that canon and nikon define 'pro' in the field of photography and nothing else fits the definition, simply because one believes marketing jargon, is just utter nonsense. the world of professional photography extends so far beyond the borders of what the marketing department at canon and nikon want people to believe. so far beyond, and the choice of equipment follows suit. nobody would deny that both canon and nikon have good saturation in certain areas of professional photography, but to say they are 'industry standard' and leave it, so broadly defined and so narrowly represented is just absurd and reeks of no proper understanding of 'professional photography' outside of canon and nikon TV commercials.
Reality says something else. The fact is, if you are a pro photographer and are using something other than Canon or Nikon, you are pretty much an outlier. Their saturation in the pro market has been very secure since they stated pulling away from the pack technologically in the mid 1970s, and since the advent of digital they have made themselves into the industry standard on sheer numbers of cameras in the hands of professional photographers.
The number of non Nikons or Canons in pro use these days is pretty insignificant, not realizing that shows no proper understanding of professional photography.
12-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It's sort of like not knowing/using MS Office when applying for a job requiring their use, or not knowing whatever the industry leading CAD/CAM software is... sure the thing you know and use may be better in some ways, but it ain't what they're hiring you to use.

I know a pro dance photographer, and he's been getting into multi strobe imaging... and he just loves his full frame Canon. The image quality is great, and he gets support from Canon - they'll send a tech over to help set up the shoot and show him and his team how to use all the fancy bits. That takes serious money on Canon's part - and if doing this translates to big sales to those 'rubes' we Pentaxians keep talking about , good for them!
12-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
made themselves into the industry standard on sheer numbers of cameras in the hands of professional photographers.
The number of non Nikons or Canons in pro use these days is pretty insignificant, not realizing that shows no proper understanding of professional photography.
I find it pretty generic to say they are the 'industry standard' when that encompasses a very large array of photography. Im a working professional photographer, and I have the credentials to prove the fact, and even I don't believe one can say that 'insignificant' is a provable definition. Im not arguing that they have a huge presence, even a majority role. however, 'insignificant' is I believe a poor definition. I know a number of wedding and portrait photographers here in Savannah (a city saturated with this type of work) and I can count more hasselblads, phase one's and mamiyas in use from the most well respected photogs than canon and nikon.
12-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I can count more hasselblads, phase one's and mamiyas in use from the most well respected photogs than canon and nikon.
And these photogs would prefer to hire someone with experience with their equipment, unless they prefer to train someone. For a shop that uses Canon or Nikon, the same applies.
12-02-2011, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I find it pretty generic to say they are the 'industry standard' when that encompasses a very large array of photography. Im a working professional photographer, and I have the credentials to prove the fact, and even I don't believe one can say that 'insignificant' is a provable definition. Im not arguing that they have a huge presence, even a majority role. however, 'insignificant' is I believe a poor definition. I know a number of wedding and portrait photographers here in Savannah (a city saturated with this type of work) and I can count more hasselblads, phase one's and mamiyas in use from the most well respected photogs than canon and nikon.
How about the "less well respected" photographers?
And what do they use when their Hassy, Phase One or Mamiya isn't the right tool?
You are using outliers and pretending that they represent a majority.