Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
DEA Tries To One Up Fast And Furious

The investigation into this should be interesting...

QuoteQuote:
Undercover American narcotics agents have laundered or smuggled millions of dollars in drug proceeds as part of Washington’s expanding role in Mexico’s fight against drug cartels, according to current and former federal law enforcement officials.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/world/americas/us-drug-agents-launder-prof...n-cartels.html

12-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

In my humble opinion, this once again, is a demonstration that similar to the old alcohol prohibition you simply cannot stop the distribution of a product if enough people demand it.

Everybody in North America who wishes to use drugs gets them one way or another and always providing huge profits for the criminals not to ignore the murder, crime and mayhem that goes along with it.

People who want their drugs get them anyway - when will we learn this simple fact!
12-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Legalize it and TAX it as is already being done to alcohol and tobacco if the government is looking for a revenue source!!!!!!!!!!! Cliff
12-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There is only one other way that has not been tried yet - even though this is much more difficult (and is not going to happen anyway) - get to the root cause of why so many millions and millions of people require these drugs in their life!

12-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
There is only one other way that has not been tried yet - even though this is much more difficult (and is not going to happen anyway) - get to the root cause of why so many millions and millions of people require these drugs in their life!
For a lot of people, it truly is recreational. Some people think of sparking up a roach the same way most people think of cracking a beer.
For the rest, look at the root causes of any self destructive addiction, be it tobacco, alcohol, gambling or whatever the person has fallen into. From the POV of self damage, it makes no difference what the vehicle is.
12-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pot and cocaine have long been recreational drugs, though obviously using cocaine is a lot worse than smoking a joint now and again. Heroin more too since the 60's and Vietnam, and now of course there's meth and all kinds of designer drugs. Every decade it seems has it's signature drug. Personally I think they spend way too much money on fighting the dealers who will never go away. Legalize them all, but make it a felony to drive or otherwise operate heavy machinery or commit a crime under the influence of any kind of chemical including alcohol. That solves 90% of your problem right there. Who cares if people toke up in their own homes? I don't. Joints are no worse than alcohol. It's the people who rob people to get their crack or who drive their kids under the influence who worry me. I couldn't care less about the drug dealers because they're not going away. Gangs, drug wars, it never stops until the laws make it unprofitable for them to operate.
12-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frankly, Mags, if they just legalized *pot* and looked at the damn *meth* we might get something out of the trillions in 'drug war' and for profit prisons that we're all paying for cause someone's still scared of hippies or something.
12-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure that we all are aware that heroin (the "heroic drug"), cocaine, opium and pot were perfectly legal until - when - the late '20s or early '30s? Marijuana was listed in the US Pharmacopia in the late 19th century. Cole Porter's tune originally read "I get no kick from cocaine" not champaigne. I'm afraid that the ideal of legalizing and taxing illicit drugs runs contrary to the ideal of American Exceptionalism, that the US can do ANYTHING. Legalization would, therefore, represent a failure, and the US does not take kindly to failure, witness the Vietnam Conflict (not officially a war!). What politician would have the cojones to introduce a legalization bill? I'm waiting for some names....

It'll be a long wait for that craven congressional crowd to man (or woman up) and put their "career" on the line.

12-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Heroin was originally a legitimate product of AG Farbenfabriken (Bayer) who also brought us Aspirin. On the molecular level it is essentially a tweaked morphine molecule (which, in turn, is the chief active ingredient in opium).

QuoteQuote:
From 1898 through to 1910 diacetylmorphine was marketed under the trademark name Heroin as a non-addictive morphine substitute and cough suppressant. Bayer marketed the drug as a cure for morphine addiction before it was discovered that it rapidly metabolizes into morphine. As such, diacetylmorphine is essentially a quicker acting form of morphine. The company was embarrassed by the new finding, which became a historic blunder for Bayer
(Heroin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

QuoteQuote:
In the U.S.A. the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act was passed in 1914 to control the sale and distribution of diacetylmorphine and other opioids, which allowed the drug to be prescribed and sold for medical purposes. In 1924 the United States Congress banned its sale, importation or manufacture. It is now a Schedule I substance, which makes it illegal for non-medical use in signatory nations of the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs treaty, including the United States.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin#History)

Last edited by jolepp; 12-07-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: + old advertisement