Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is Ridiculous...(Pay Pal Related)

I finally broke down and decided that I had to get a Pay Pal account as a necessary evil thing. I decided after no luck around here on CL want to sell a few collectible things on Ebay (and here) and it was a requirement basically. I can't seem to sell anything online without one. People just ignore me. I also have something I want to buy for one of my nieces on Ebay and they won't even allow me to use a gift card without a Pay Pal account that's been verified.

Today I went through all the rigamarole of giving them my info and trying to link the Pay Pal account to an extra little account I set up at my credit union and/or my CC only to find out that my credit union and my Visa CC card are not accredited in some way that they require and that they won't do business with them or verify my account unless I am willing to go to another bank and use that.

What the F?

FYI, I've had an account at the same CU now for years. That card is attached to the account, always has been. It's the only Visa I have and I use it online all the time, no problem. Amazon takes it, Goodwill takes it, any store otherwise I've ever used it at, takes it, but Pay Pal won't? Well, f- me, apparently. I am so NOT going to go out and get another bank account and/or credit card just to use an online payment service I don't much like the idea of using in the first place though. I can get a basic Pay Pal account without it but much good it will do me because they're apparently not going to even let me use it on Ebay unless I get it linked and verified and they won't verify it because they apparently don't like my CU.

This is such total BS, and btw, I've also been told by a CSR there that even if I attempted to pay for an auction with my CC via their checkout they wouldn't accept it for that either Visa logo notwithstanding. They don't like my CU at all apparently, not even it's CC's. So basically I'm being told I am a nobody on Ebay unless I want to leave the CU I've been using since I was in college. I am going to get some kind of online payment thing in gear, but it sure isn't going to be Pay Pal and they just go screw themselves so far as I am concerned right now.

As far as I know my CU is FDIC approved and if that's not good enough for them then I'm taking my business elsewhere...

Looking up Pay Pal alternatives as I type...

12-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Very strange. I would take it up with your CU and see what they have to say about it.
12-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I am planning on doing. I'm hoping they'll cause a big stink because this is just absurd. My CU card is a Visa. I've had it for a decade or more. It has the proper logo and it's not a debit, though I have one of those too. Fortunately the kids thing the Ebay seller decided to let me send a MO and it's not for much so I am going to do that tomorrow and put a tracking ticket on it so I'll know they've got it. Best I can do under the circumstances and I just don't want to miss out on this thing it was a killer deal for that toy so....
12-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Let me ask a stupid question, when you say your Visa card is attached to your account, does that mean it's a debit card linked to the checking account?

12-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What crap. My CC is a debit card and pay pal has no issue with it. Talk to your CU, perhaps they are the ones blocking it being used at Paypal.
12-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
What crap. My CC is a debit card and pay pal has no issue with it. Talk to your CU, perhaps they are the ones blocking it being used at Paypal.
I think the only difference a debit vs CC makes is in terms of certain limits on the account in terms of a backup funding source. The reason being is that a debit card isn't really a backup to the checking account it draws from.

Certainly you should be able to buy things with either (a debit or credit card) without an issue. It sounds like for whatever reason the credit union and paypal have some issue when paired together. FWIW, the accounts I have with a credit union have always given me more issues in terms of electronically linking them to things (whether it be paypal or otherwise). I actually had to open another account at my regular bank because I couldn't get the account at my credit union to work properly with paypal.
12-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #7

Sounds to me like Pay Pal is not a very user friendly place . I won't use them because of all the horror stories I have read about. Don't use ebay for anything anymore either. I would rather go to a reputable dealer than do business where every transaction could lead to
a financial nightmare

12-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Btw, I didn't mean what you said, dgaies, was crap, I was saying what magkelly is going through was crap. Sorry if I offended you, dgaies.
12-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Though we have had no problem with our CU visa linking to pay pal, I have thought it would be good to have it linked to a different account somewhere to lessen any risks. Pay pal does make things easy for web selling and buying. Good luck straightening it out.
12-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Btw, I didn't mean what you said, dgaies, was crap, I was saying what magkelly is going through was crap. Sorry if I offended you, dgaies.
No offence taken at all I assumed the "what crap" comment was aimed at paypal
12-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Though we have had no problem with our CU visa linking to pay pal, I have thought it would be good to have it linked to a different account somewhere to lessen any risks. Pay pal does make things easy for web selling and buying. Good luck straightening it out.
That is sound advice, although I'll admit I still have one of my main bank accounts attached to PayPal

The best plan would be to have a separate credit card and bank account dedicated to your paypal account. For the highest level of safety, I'd keep next to nothing in that bank account. You can pay for anything you need with the credit card. When payments come in, send them to the bank account and then withdraw them right away. Doing this will give you a little more insulation between your money and paypal. As I said up front, I'm somewhat guilty of not following this rule as I've had the same paypal and bank account for over 10 years and haven't bothered to change that until a few months back, but it's sound advice nonetheless
12-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Let me ask a stupid question, when you say your Visa card is attached to your account, does that mean it's a debit card linked to the checking account?
I mean it's a regular Visa credit card issued by that credit union because I have a long standing account there. It says blah, blah blah CU on it, but it's a normal CC, not a debit card. It is actually linked in some way through my accounts there so that if I accidentally went over my limit they could just take the overage out of my account instead of charging me overage fees. Some type of overdraft protection thing, but otherwise it's the same as any other Visa. I have a regular credit limit that I can charge on and it's not a secured card situation either. I do have a debit card for all my accounts and that one actually has a Visa logo on it too but I never use it for that. I don't like my main debit card used online. I'm too paranoid. Anyone gets that they have my whole checking account such as it is.

I have this Visa card, a Walmart card, and a copy of my folks Am Exp and Walmart cards I'm authorized on for whenever I have to shop for them, and that's basically it. I don't even carry theirs unless I know I am going to shop for them. I only have two CC's of my own. I don't even carry my debit or my Walmart most of the time. I don't use the debit at the grocery store anymore. I only use it as an ATM card actually at the CU if I am in a hurry or they are closed. I don't believe in having 10 credit cards in my wallet. I'm very careful about the credit line thing and about how much I spend and using a debit card tends to make me careless so I don't use one. The CC I use very rarely. I like the convenience but I don't need the interest.

What gets me is that this is one of the biggest and most used CU's in the area, and one of the oldest. Of all the people I would expect them to have issues with it wouldn't be this CU. My folks have been banking there for like 40 years. I have for most of my life, even when I didn't live here. I kept the account even when I was out west because I wanted to keep my savings there where my folks bank.

I'm taking my Dad down tomorrow. He needs to get cash and deposit his checks. I really want to see what they have to say about this, if it's their choice or Pay Pal's. I suppose it's possible that it's them, but I do have to wonder why they'd put Pay Pal on a list of people they don't like. Seems awfully counterproductive to me given how many people use them. I can't get anywhere online where I am not being asked to use them. I've people wanting to buy stuff from me asking and telling me that they won't use anything else. It's been a royal pain in the arse because from all I've heard of them I'd sooner trust my money to the mattress!

FYI, I did set up a separate account for that, but it was still at my CU. No way I wanted my main checking and savings accessible via some online payment service I can't even hardly get on the phone if I need to. I put $100 in a new checking account that was set up just for Pay Pal. That's my CU's minimum for any account $100. I wouldn't do it at all if I had a choice, take online payments that way, but a merchant account is expensive for me at this stage, I'm struggling to start a little store, two actually, and I'm actually losing business because I don't accept something like Pay Pal. Between them Ebay and Pay Pal they practically own the internet it seems...

Last edited by magkelly; 12-07-2011 at 07:57 PM.
12-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
That is sound advice, although I'll admit I still have one of my main bank accounts attached to PayPal

The best plan would be to have a separate credit card and bank account dedicated to your paypal account. For the highest level of safety, I'd keep next to nothing in that bank account. You can pay for anything you need with the credit card. When payments come in, send them to the bank account and then withdraw them right away. Doing this will give you a little more insulation between your money and paypal. As I said up front, I'm somewhat guilty of not following this rule as I've had the same paypal and bank account for over 10 years and haven't bothered to change that until a few months back, but it's sound advice nonetheless
This is exactly what I've been doing and it works pretty well. Just a bit more upkeep maintaining the account, that's all. The account is almost empty until I plan on using it - then pulling the money out when funds are paid in.
12-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Between them Ebay and Pay Pal they practically own the internet it seems...
Well, they are literally one in the same as eBay actually owns PayPal. Since 2002, PayPal has been a wholly owned subsidiary of eBay.
12-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I know a lot of people who sell on there from the doll boards I'm on. They're all totally ticked that they're one and the same now. There's a lot horror stories they tell. Sounds like a racket to me that you can't even hardly use Ebay and not have Pay Pal. I mean when you look at it they're getting you both ways and yet you can't hardly go anywhere else and do any real business. It's a total monopoly.