Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is there much interest in vintage photo books/magazines?

For quite a while I've had a pile of vintage photography magazines sitting around, which someone who didn't want them anymore, unloaded on a visiting friend, who then left them with me. I'm sure there are some good things in them, but they are really old -- might be worth a look for those interested in the history of photography. So those are sitting going nowhere; then today, the library has a whole box of books, a Time-Life type series on photography with different subjects -- nature, travel, portrait photography, etc. They don't take such old books for the collection & they're even too old for the book sale. The boss is going to throw them out. I'm interested in a couple, but there are about 20 of them, & I just hate to see books thrown in the garbage. I thought about maybe trying to sell them to raise a little $$ for the library but didn't know if it was worth the bother. Does anyone know if there's much interest out there, among film users or vintage camera collectors, for such old stuff?

12-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it were me I would take the old Time-Life books... but then I'm a book nut... As for the magazines...sure, they are worth holding onto. Sell em at a flea market or something.

Mike
12-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The time life series are well worth grabbing. and the mags as Mike says have some value (Jussi - Nesster on the forum collects them and scans interesting stuff to his flickr account)
12-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I collect the photo mags, and scan to post 'free' on the net. The Time-Life set is fun to look through, but these days storage/shelf space seems to be at a premium - it's very difficult to actually sell those things.

When we had our monster moving sale, very very few books sold. LPs, CDs, costume jewlery, stuff like that went, and antique wicker etc. But not the books.

LOL I see Eddie got in before me -- PM me if you want to get rid of the mags.

12-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I collect the photo mags, and scan to post 'free' on the net. The Time-Life set is fun to look through, but these days storage/shelf space seems to be at a premium - it's very difficult to actually sell those things.

When we had our monster moving sale, very very few books sold. LPs, CDs, costume jewlery, stuff like that went, and antique wicker etc. But not the books.

that's because i follow your scans you post some great stuff that brings back memories - like the Nikon F you posted this week (or fuels vintage cba/lba)
12-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
(or fuels vintage cba/lba)
Thanks for following the things I post... and tell me about it - reading the old ads and reviews, all too often the next stop is an ebay search
12-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, having looked up what it would cost to ship even one of those Time Life books, Canada Post's appalling rates probably guarantee me no-sale on eBay; they're 1100g each
Will inquire of some book dealers but all would require trips away, as I live in an isolated area. No chance of flea market sales here.
Dang. They are nice books. Now they're taking up space in my basement.

12-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Why don't you check out your local jr college. See if they have a basic photography course. I bet you someone there might find them useful. Some kids like learning old style as well as digital.
04-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #9

Alliecat, if you still have the vintage mags, I may be interested in purchasing them from you. Please e-mail me at amywing at cox dot net ASAP. Thanks.
04-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What Mike said, I have a hard time passing up books. And and even harder time giving them up. And I like magkelly's suggestion. I've decided that the next garage sale I have I will set up a "Make Offer" table with the funds going to the USO.
04-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LPs, CDs, costume jewlery, stuff like that went, and antique wicker etc. But not the books.

You sold the LPs? Oooohhhhh Nooooooo......

I still have mine back to the late 50's and my father's entire collection, back to the very first Columbia records....

All you need is a good turntable.
04-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
You sold the LPs? Oooohhhhh Nooooooo......

I still have mine back to the late 50's and my father's entire collection, back to the very first Columbia records....

All you need is a good turntable.
Yes, I sold or donated several hundred. And, even stranger/sadder, I could not even give away some 200 classical LPs. I'm now down to a more reasonable 6 feet of records. OTH, many of what I sold/gave away I wasn't going to listen to and were not collectable or extra nice sound items.

I feel a bit less burdened now. But my Linn did not like the move - the Valhalla board gave up, and I'm currently debugging the repair / improvement I got from a nice guy in Philadelphia (greenstreet audio)... So I haven't been able to play a LP since early last summer.
04-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Linn will do the job.

I bought an AR ES-1 in the early eighties, feeling that at that price point belt drive was the best course. And of course, maintenance consists only of lube in the main bearing and a belt every so often. At that time someone had a servo controlled tone arm. Great idea, but how long would the ICs enabling the system be available as replacements?

My AR is now worth at least as much as I paid for it.
04-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I wish I'd bought the AR instead of the Linn back then. Was going to, too, but the Linn dealer convinced me otherwise. And they actually did demos: I could clearly hear the diff between the two belt drive TTs and the direct drive, and later between the Basik and Ittok arms. I didn't hear enough of a diff between the AR and the Linn to prefer the Linn, which prompted 'poor rube' glances between the two salesmen

Currently I'm a bit miffed, for after only 28 years the damn Valhalla board looks to be shot. Usually it's the under-spec'd resistors and rectifiers that burn out, but mine seems to have problems in the logic board section. I'll try one more time... and anything Linn is ultra expensive! LOL they know how to charge. But there's a Chinese power supply that gives me 2 speeds and replaces the Valhalla, I suppose that will be my next option.
04-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish I'd bought the AR instead of the Linn back then. Was going to, too, but the Linn dealer convinced me otherwise. And they actually did demos: I could clearly hear the diff between the two belt drive TTs and the direct drive, and later between the Basik and Ittok arms. I didn't hear enough of a diff between the AR and the Linn to prefer the Linn, which prompted 'poor rube' glances between the two salesmen

Currently I'm a bit miffed, for after only 28 years the damn Valhalla board looks to be shot. Usually it's the under-spec'd resistors and rectifiers that burn out, but mine seems to have problems in the logic board section. I'll try one more time... and anything Linn is ultra expensive! LOL they know how to charge. But there's a Chinese power supply that gives me 2 speeds and replaces the Valhalla, I suppose that will be my next option.
And we all know about that "poor rube" glance! I would love to witness a proper double-blind test on, let's say, power cables. At my local big box store I was informed that, by replacing the OEM power lead on my Samsung plasma set I'd get a much better picture. Why? Because the OEM cord didn't "pass enough power"! The source of this startling "fact?" An "educational presentation" by a major cable manufacturer! What a surprise!