Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I live in a small town and go to a barber (who charges 10 dollars for a cut -- great job). I was talking to him about it, because there are three barbers in my town and the youngest one is 65. My barber is in his 70s. Anyway, he said that few people go to barber school anymore, that most go to hair styling school or cosmetology school or whatever it is called and so there are few new barbers out there any more.

I agree. I much prefer his hair cuts.

12-10-2011, 04:44 AM   #17
Banned

What would be some of the main differences between barber school and cosmetology school in terms of men's needs? Learning how to hot lather shave? Use a straight razor? Or are there key differences in the stylets hair cutting you would learn? I can imagine that it is likely you would learn mostly female hair styling and other things related in cosmotolgy school, but surely they also learn the basics of cutting mens hair? I'm getting the sense that it isn't so much a difference in learned technique as much as it is a difference in experience with a particular demographic (if that's the best word?) that leads to a 'better' cut for most men from a barber?
12-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See this: Why Every Man Should Go To A Barber Shop | The Art of Manliness.
12-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Now, thats an excellent article...I have to say, barbershops are know for their chatting/socializing and stuff that is suitable for a man, but I am not really chatty so that really doesn't apply to me. But the rest is pretty spot on.....

12-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #20
Inactive Account

While visiting Portland, Or. some years back we visited a mens tonsorium downtown. It was really an experience. It was a weekday evening, it was all old fashioned decor. You could smoke your cigar, have a beer, play pool, read your Playboys or watch sports and BSed with everyone. The chairs were the real old fashioned ones that were chrome and leather. You could get a full haircut, shave, scalp or facial massage by a male or female barber (tonsorial artist). Manicures were also offered and I don't know what else. Lots of fun. If I was a local I would be going back. It is a nice business idea for those of us that don't much care for sitting in a row of women with TV parts in their hair and wierd chemical smells for a quickie hair chop.
12-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Most men who go to barber shops like more traditional hair styles. A lot of men now they're wearing their hair a lot longer or they have specialized shapes that a barber isn't likely to want to try to do. I think that's the big difference. Men who go to barbers just want their hair cut fairly short. Men who go to salons want it styled. Barbers also don't generally handle things like dye and that and a lot of men do add some color to their hair now. Low light and highlights are very popular with guys now actually. They probably don't teach as much scissor technique in barber school and I really doubt they teach them to color, perm and all that.
12-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Ask your Barber if there is any hope for me?

Regards!

12-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dang! one day Otis is going to hide in there somewhere and you'd never be able to find him again, lol!

Last edited by pcarfan; 12-11-2011 at 06:48 AM.
12-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had always gone to a Barber, then 10 years ago with a lot of warning, Art retired at 75 and closed up (.... he was going to go chase the ladies on the cruise ships - as he put it). So the boys and I walked into what took over - a hair salon. Nothing good could come of this, was the feeling as we walked in to the new "chrome and white" totally re-designed interior. Matt sat down and said - "a regular haircut". the girl asked "what attachment should she use - number #1, #2 or #3?". I looked in stunned disbelief - and said "Matt - the young lady has no idea as to how to cut hair". We left. I needed a haircut for a business trip, so hit a "chain" - another disaster. Then a couple of weeks later, driving down the street, saw a new sign for a Barber Shop. Stopped there the next weekend. A classical Barber Shop run by a Russian family, who bailed out of the Ukraine - of all places. Been there ever since - the very hot towel touch is great!

What ruins a Barber Shop - the trophy wife (in her Juicy short shorts) bringing in junior, and then hovers over the Barber directing every last snippet - needing to get the "style" just exactly right (the kid could care less - he's in the 5th grade), while all the time complaining about getting hair all her "outfit". The lawyer "dad" could have put off his weekend round of golf for a bit - but he probably goes to a Salon - to get "styled". I guess I should give the Mom some credit - for at least trying. Go figure....

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-11-2011 at 08:34 AM.
12-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

My grandfather took me along to a barber in my hometown when I was 7 or 8. Angelo did every hair cut for me till I left town 15 years later. If I need a hair cut around the time I'm planning to visit the hometown I still drop in for a cut. Only $12, although I think these days part of the charge is a search fee.

He's a little more upmarket than this guy though

12-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

My owner trims me but I must handle my own flea baths. Woof.