Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tradition

xkcd: Tradition

Last edited by boriscleto; 12-09-2011 at 02:51 PM.
12-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Why might that be? $$$?
12-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A lot of grandparents buying presents, maybe, but it might have something to do with the downfall of the music industry. Quality is much less important now, it's all image. I don't want to hear the Christmas stylings of Justin Beiber or the Disney clones. The last good, original, Christmas song I can think of is "Last Christmas" by Wham and I was 7 when that came out (1984).
12-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
A lot of grandparents buying presents, maybe, but it might have something to do with the downfall of the music industry. Quality is much less important now, it's all image. I don't want to hear the Christmas stylings of Justin Beiber or the Disney clones. The last good, original, Christmas song I can think of is "Last Christmas" by Wham and I was 7 when that came out (1984).
Heh. Yes. You are right. This is the only material that they have to draw on. After that it all dried up.

My favorite contemporary boomer original would be:

I don't think the current up and comers have anything even remotely close to a true bard in this style...

Here's a fun Christmas cover by the Pretenders:

Which brings me to I think about 1983:

woof!

12-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You mean to tell me Trans Siberian Orchestra does not figure into this graph at all?

I guess I am not understanding something. That silly country song about the boy who wants to buy his mother some shoes?
12-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
You mean to tell me Trans Siberian Orchestra does not figure into this graph at all?

I guess I am not understanding something. That silly country song about the boy who wants to buy his mother some shoes?
Take it up with ASCAP. They're the ones who compiled the data. Outside of Canadian beer commercials I don't think I've ever heard Trans Siberian Orchestra on the radio. I notice Santa Baby isn't on the list either, and if I hear that one more time I'm going to kill myself. That annoying Paul McCartney one isn't on there either.

Last edited by boriscleto; 12-09-2011 at 10:39 AM.
12-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Take it up with ASCAP. They're the ones who compiled the data.
Occupy ASCAP!

Aww, why bother?

12-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well i'm the tail end of the baby boom, but my most listend christmas albums are the los straitjackets albums (usually catch their annual tour at christmas if it comes through as well -sometimes it's just ELVEZ)

12-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

When xmas music comes on the radio, I flip stations or switch it off.
When stores play xmas music, I finish shopping quickly and leave.
I am absolutely nauseated by endless repetition of the same crap.
About the only tune I can stand is the Beach Boys' LITTLE SAINT NICK.
And maybe good ol' Ray Stevens' SANTA CLAUS IS WATCHING YOU!

An aside: Y'all probably consider JINGLE BELLS to be an xmas song.
It's not. It was written for a different holiday. For USA Thanksgiving.
But with global warming, we don't get snowy wintry thanksgivings.
That's right: Climate change is embedded in anachronistic pop music.
12-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
An aside: Y'all probably consider JINGLE BELLS to be an xmas song.
It's not. It was written for a different holiday. For USA Thanksgiving.
But with global warming, we don't get snowy wintry thanksgivings.
That's right: Climate change is embedded in anachronistic pop music.
Thanksgiving has long since stopped being a separate holiday. Christmas starts the weekend before Halloween now.
12-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #11

Nit picking

Please provide a source for the comic.

This was created by Randall Munroe of http://xkcd.com

Now I have that off my mind; This is great.

I wonder if the baby boomer parents established this culture because maybe there was no American identity when it came to Christmas. When I listened to many of these songs, they seems to set social norms for how and what you should do this time of year.

From what I understand the European Christians were divided (still are in many respects) but more so then. The devide even split demoninations based on which region of Europe the family was from. So everyone's idea of Christams was different. In an effort to develop a national identity cultural norms were created, think Norman Rockwell.
12-09-2011, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
mel
Veteran Member

I'm sorry but Fairy Tale of New York by the Pogues is the very very best Christmas song. Ever.

12-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Take it up with ASCAP. They're the ones who compiled the data. Outside of Canadian beer commercials I don't think I've ever heard Trans Siberian Orchestra on the radio. I notice Santa Baby isn't on the list either, and if I hear that one more time I'm going to kill myself. That annoying Paul McCartney one isn't on there either.
there is a really good version of 'Santa baby' recorded by China Forbes (the lead Vocalist for 'Pink Martini') on their 'Joy to the World' album that is really good and I highly recommend everyone check them out. http://pinkmartini.com/discography/joy-to-the-world/ (I really like their version of 'A Snow Globe Christmas' and the wonderful Ladino language 'Ocho Kandelikas') there are some really great contemporary christmas songs and albums out there if you are willing to look, so I don't think its really a case of not having modern material. I think its a case of radio stations want to draw in listeners, and listeners have come to expect 'classics' sung by the classic artists. so thats what they get. a lazy way for the radio stations to make money, and it seems to work. its like how most all classic car shows play the same 'hits of the 50's' type of albums even though we all find it somewhat annoying and overdone. its just whats expected from most people and we are all apparently too lazy to demand a change. being 'traditional' is the new description of lazy in the US as far as I'm concerned, and we are a very 'traditional' kind of country. the store I work at overnight started playing christmas songs literally the day after thanksgiving. I just keep my headphones in all night. I would likely otherwise go completely insane.

Last edited by séamuis; 12-09-2011 at 05:30 PM.
12-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I'm sorry but Fairy Tale of New York by the Pogues is the very very best Christmas song. Ever.
Haha. Yeah, I'd traditionally do a duet with various people
12-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote

The Pogues & Kirsty McColl Fairytale Of New York - YouTube
It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said son, I won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my eyes away
And thought about you