Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Monopod and heads

Hey all! I've never had a monopod before but I recently got a unreal deal on a Feisol Carbon Fiber 64 inch and am wondering what to put on top. The platform is over two inches wide and so I'm thinking, and perhaps wrongly, if I get a ball head or something that is too small, when turned 90 degrees vertical, the camera may hit the side of the platform. And then, since the Feisol only weighs approx. 0.7 lbs., something too large would make the whole rig too top heavy and take away from its portability. Does anyone have any thoughts on what works best on a pod like this? I have sure spent some time looking over what's available on eBay and Amvona. Any input out there? Thanks much!

12-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a look at the Manfrotto 222 head, its a trigger / ball arrangement that works really well, very verstaile. I also have the standard monopod head, but the 222 leaves it for dead.
12-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forums srymBroBob,

To answer your question (in a way) In my opinion your best off to go into a local camera store and look at their tripod heads.
A good store will help you try a few different heads on your new monopod, and tell you what the differences are.

You might save a few bucks through e-bay, but if it isn't what you want or it doesn't work it'll cost you more.
12-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have a Manfrotto 234RC tilt head on my monopod. It does the job nicely.

12-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback. I went to a local photography store today and looked at a few things. They had a Manfrotto tilt head but not the quick release (234). They had no trigger models but they did have a very nice German ball head but was priced way out of my league. So I'm still looking for something.