Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Where/what else would you be?

I'd thought to restart a poll on Why Are You In Photography? with options like: profession, hobby, obsession, art, documentation, science, blackmail, commerce, pr0n, people, nature, don't know? But that's been done. So I came up with a different kind of question:
If you weren't active in photography, what would you be doing now?
I think that without digicams I would still be playing with sound, making more music. Maybe I record more visual stills than audio clips because my ears have deteriorated more than my eyes. So far. Tinnitus > floaters. What else might I be doing? There's always yardwork. [shudder]

12-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried various artistic outlets when i was younger. I know I wouldn't be playing an instrument, been there done that tortured enough people in my short experiment as a Bass player who made Sid Vicious look like Jaco Pastorius
I never spent a lot of time painting, had a Photography not been available that is likely the outlet I would have chosen
That or Writing - I was quite capable at that but didn't enjoy it the way I do Visual arts.
12-12-2011, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I'd probably be climbing the walls of a very comfortable room, the sort with padded walls, by now. Well, maybe not quite that dramatic, but it has carried me through several bouts of depression and stress over the last few years. I retired from work early at 57 years old due to my mental health issues, and although I have been a keen photographer for over 40 years it's just been the last 3 or 4 where I've seriously focused on producing images that I like rather than pictures I have taken.

It's very therapeutic, I go for a walk every day for at least 2 hours, always with at least 1 camera and a couple of lenses, and I photograph things. Obviously over a couple of years I'm faced with the same things most days. So now I have to find new angles on the same old subjects, and what a great thing that is, it's forcing me to think about what I do and what I want to see in my end result. It's a pressure, but it's my pressure, on my terms.

If I wasn't doing it, I would be slipping back into depressions. Life's too damn short for that !
12-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without photography I'd probably be writing more. I enjoy writing, but it is hard work and I'll probably smoke even more cigarettes...

12-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
I'll probably smoke even more cigarettes...
Inspiration of writers the world over
12-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
On a beach, snorkeling, or scuba diving with a steady diet of mushrooms and cannabis.
12-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Riding a motorcycle....or maybe dead by now. When I bought my first Pentax DSLR about six years ago I had debated over getting a new BSA for my retirement years or getting into photography........I ended up deciding I could do photography year around and it would also be cheaper........I was right about the year around, wrong about it being cheaper.

I rode for years in my younger life, loved it, was a seasoned and skilled rider.......have never reached that level with photography, but have no regrets of my choice to go in that direction.
Regards