Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
They were probably just trying to minimize controversy (though they seem to have failed).
A big part of what made America great has been people who've stood against prejudice, and stood up for those unable to defend themselves. But now there is a large percentage of people in the US (who have even taken over a whole political party) who think profit is God (in deed despite the pious BS they talk); they think we should make every decision based on what profits can be made from an act (or not). Personally in these tough times, I think any company who behaves without courage should be labeled a cowardly organization.

A related point . . . the hostility toward all Muslims by some is not only unfair, it is stupid. The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful human beings, yet the Muslim haters want to make all Muslims our enemy! It would be smarter to fully support Muslims who are doing good things and welcome them into the world population of those who want to do good. That way we make goodness our common cause, and all evil (including Muslim evil) our common enemy.

Last edited by les3547; 12-12-2011 at 04:49 PM.
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Lowe's Pulls Ad From TLC's 'All American Muslim' | Crooks and Liars

QuoteQuote:
I have a Muslim uncle. He and my aunt raised their children in the Muslim faith and they would invite us over to share in their holidays, so while not a practicing Muslim, I respect and find much to appreciate about the Islamic faith. I couldn't be more impressed by the sincerity of their faith or the amazing strength that they--and my cousins, impressive in their own right--have exhibited in the face of ridiculous Islamophobia since 9/11. And it grinds me to the point of lashing out when I hear people spout off ignorance about Muslims. One billion people globally cannot be judged by a small handful of extremists any more than Christians should be judged by Fred Phelps or Mormons by Warren Jeffs.

I admit that I've never seen TLC's "All American Muslim." Unless it's a cooking competition, I tend to shy away from "reality" shows. But based on the trailer above, it looks like an excellent way to bust through some stereotypes and look at people who may share similar likes, values, fears, goals and lifestyles, if not a place of worship. And that's something that we should never be fearful of.

So it's disappointing in the extreme for me to hear that Lowe's Hardware has succumbed to the ignorance of those who pretend to be followers of a rabbi who preached tolerance, acceptance and the need to care for one another:
12-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Yeah Florida Family is just one more hate group with a euphemism for a name.
12-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
A big part of what made America great has been people who've stood against prejudice, and stood up for those unable to defend themselves. But now there is a large percentage of people in the US (who have even taken over a whole political party) who think profit is God (in deed despite the pious BS they talk); they think we should make every decision based on what profits can be made from an act (or not). Personally in these tough times, I think any company who behaves without courage should be labeled a cowardly organization.

A related point . . . the hostility toward all Muslims by some is not only unfair, it is stupid. The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful human beings, yet the Muslim haters want to make all Muslims our enemy! It would be smarter to fully support Muslims who are doing good things and welcome them into the world population of those who want to do good. That way we make goodness our common cause, and all evil (including Muslim evil) our common enemy.
I agree that Lows acted in a cowardly manner, but all large corporations will try to take the most profitable route (the reason regulations are good). I just do not like how attention is directed at Lows rather than those who have hostile feeling toward Muslims (where the real problem lies). I am ok with people boycotting Lows (it show much needed support to the Muslim community). I just to not want it to hide the deeper meaning behind Lows decision. Lows decision was reactive to an existing environment (I suspect a significant portion of their customer base shares hostility to Muslims). We need to fix the core issues that drive hostility. Thus, I think Lows deserves to be called cowardly, but not anti-Muslim.

12-12-2011, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Daily Kos: California State Sen. Ted Lieu nails Lowe's cowardly anti-Muslim bigotry

QuoteQuote:
"Lowe’s religious discrimination is the equivalent of a company asserting that it is pulling advertising from the Christian Broadcast Network’s 700 Club because the program somehow 'riskily hides' the agenda of Christian radicalized groups such as Aryan Nation. That assertion would, of course, be utter nonsense and religious bigotry."
12-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
Thus, I think Lows deserves to be called cowardly, but not anti-Muslim.
Sound logic.
12-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
They must be pulling the ads because the show is about Muslims. (They probably didn't notice that when they signed the contract to advertise on a show titled "American Muslim").
Probably thought it was American Muslin, you know...fabrics and home furnishings...
12-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian

The more I hear lately, the deeper my feeling that America has gone off the rails. What ever happened to religious tolerance? Stupid me, I thought that was a central tenet of the American value system. Many of the people who emigrated to America were trying to escape religious persecution; Baptists, Mormons, Quakers, Mennonites, Catholics, Lutherans, Puritans. Now their descendants are the persecutors. Very sad.

12-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The more I hear lately, the deeper my feeling that America has gone off the rails. What ever happened to religious tolerance? Stupid me, I thought that was a central tenet of the American value system. Many of the people who emigrated to America were trying to escape religious persecution; Baptists, Mormons, Quakers, Mennonites, Catholics, Lutherans, Puritans. Now their descendants are the persecutors. Very sad.
The Puritans who settled Massachusets were not seeking religious tolerance. Quite the opposite. Rhode Island was founded by a man banished from Massachusets for his religious views.

Mormonism was born in the US. There are no reliably documented cases of Native Americans wiping out a wagon train on the Western Migration, but the Mormons wiped out several.

Of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence only 1 was a Catholic. The rest of the founders didn't trust Catholics all that much and they thought beating up Quakers was great sport.
12-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Puritans who settled Massachusets were not seeking religious tolerance. Quite the opposite. Rhode Island was founded by a man banished from Massachusets for his religious views.

Mormonism was born in the US. There are no reliably documented cases of Native Americans wiping out a wagon train on the Western Migration, but the Mormons wiped out several.

Of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence only 1 was a Catholic. The rest of the founders didn't trust Catholics all that much and they thought beating up Quakers was great sport.
OK, I never took any comparative religion courses,
12-13-2011, 04:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
and reap the consequences as well................gives me one more reason for not shopping there.........
Absolutely. And I'm entitled to support local stores instead of giant corporations. Besides, I hate walking a mile to get something I need even if it is a few cents cheaper.
And you are both 100% right. You are free to shop at Home Depot (or any other store) instead. Just have to wonder what their policies are on this, that or the other and where their advertising budget goes or doesn't go. Hmmm, I wonder if Home Depot was advertising on that show? And if not, I wonder if they will buy up the commercial time that Lowes gave up?

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Yes, and a company supports a worthy cause (like humanizing good Muslim citizens) even if it doesn't bring in all the bucks it could advertising with "The Bachelor" . . . the horrors!
Lowes purpose is to sell home improvement products and make money for their shareholders... not to humanize Muslims...

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 12-13-2011 at 04:08 AM.
12-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right-Wingers Gets Advertisers to Pull Out of Show Affirming Humanity of Muslims ? Why Do Conservative Groups Have That Much Power? | | AlterNet

QuoteQuote:
For years, right-wingers have exerted an undue influence on the television landscape, particularly as that landscape relates to female sexuality. A prime example of this? Until plotlines on Grey's Anatomy and Friday Night Lights this past year, every story line on television that would logically lead to an abortion has miraculously ended in miscarriage or a change of heart at the clinic. While this trope is so common, it's practically a joke. There's a powerful threat, the threat of an engineered uprising from "concerned" groups like the above, that keeps realistic abortion scenes from being depicted.
12-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jesus' General: The Passion of the Tebow

QuoteQuote:
It's the truth. Next to white males and bankers, Christians are the most persecuted group in America. We see it every day in news stories like these:
A godfearing Christian is arrested for applying his His Great and Holy Steel-Toed Boots of Witnessing against a Muslin Youth.
A presidential contender leaps rather than crushes in polls released after he calls Palestinians an "invented people.
Lowe's Hardware, acting on a request by a Christian Group, is accused of bigotry after pulling ads from a television show, All-American Muslim, portraying Muslims as being American.
A fine white Christian football coach with a record of 23 wins and 36 losses since 2007 is fired by the team's Muslim owner and replaced with a Negro.
A pious Catholic Congressman, who supported the righteous Irish Republicans and their army, is vilified for bringing the full power of the federal government against Muslims.
The FBI reports a 50% rise in hate crimes against Muslims but ignores the ongoing war against Christmas.
Yeah, if Tebow were Muslim, he'd be America's darling.
12-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Poe??
12-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is political correct BS. Almost daily some group is demanding a boycott or demanding corporations to drop advertising over every issue imaginable and most of the time it's liberal groups and the liberal press doing the demanding. When conservatives do it however, it's racist and bigotry. I suppose next, if a company pulls advertising from a show because it's just a lousy show, they will be criticized for being insensitive to writers and directors.
Closed Thread