Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
LO freaking L. Didn't they invent the 0 as well, or was that some other non-American?
0 was invented by the Greeks. Europe lost knowledge of the Greeks in the Dark Ages. When the Muslims invaded Spain they brought Greek knowledge back to Europe. Arab scholarship brought the Renaissance to Europe and provided them with the knowledge they needed to conquer the world over the next 3 Centuries. The Arabs went the other way and rejected all knowledge much beyond the 15th Century.

The Mayans also grasped the concept of 0 before it's reintroduction to Europe.

Last edited by boriscleto; 12-15-2011 at 01:22 PM.
12-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looking forward to seeing lowes sponsored defective Johnson in car XLVIII next NASCAR season
12-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LMAO I think my favourite part is signing the letter

Heterosexually yours

bwahahahaha brilliant
12-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
LMAO I think my favourite part is signing the letter

Heterosexually yours

bwahahahaha brilliant
This was one of his tamer letters. Nothing about Spartan style wrestling, ramming the Staff of Domination into the Cave of Shame, or Militia Morale Sheep. If Cletus tells you anything don't believe him, he's a damn liar! Besides, the sheep was asking for it!

12-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This was one of his tamer letters. Nothing about Spartan style wrestling, ramming the Staff of Domination into the Cave of Shame, or Militia Morale Sheep. If Cletus tells you anything don't believe him, he's a damn liar! Besides, the sheep was asking for it!
I think that's how I'm going to sign emails from now on
12-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #96
Pentaxian

My understanding of this Lowe's thing is that one of the hate-oriented groups threw a bunch of pressure at them and Lowe's chickened out and gave in to the pressure, (possibly without considering much) ...until what was involved was brought out. (My understanding is that they've reversed their decision, thanks to the story actually being covered. ...this 'Florida Family Association' branch of the Right is doing something that as a Pagan I'm all too familiar with: claiming that any neutral or positive portrayal of anyone they hate, (or even actually-pretty-bad-ones they still think 'glorify' or 'promote' someone else,) ...is to be suppressed./punished/used as a pretext for yet more hate-speech.

It seems like Lowe's has turned around and done the better thing, so while I'm not exactly impressed with them considering this having happened in the first place, I'm not inclined to boycott.
12-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
0 was invented by the Greeks. Europe lost knowledge of the Greeks in the Dark Ages. When the Muslims invaded Spain they brought Greek knowledge back to Europe. Arab scholarship brought the Renaissance to Europe and provided them with the knowledge they needed to conquer the world over the next 3 Centuries. The Arabs went the other way and rejected all knowledge much beyond the 15th Century.

The Mayans also grasped the concept of 0 before it's reintroduction to Europe.

To be very honest, just like today, the people running the f'n armies throughout history are not the same people at the peak of intellectual understanding. Gods. Don't we get this, yet?

Look at who was just President before this, and how much good it does us to have a smart guy now. How do you think that was before radio waves were at our disposal? Get it?

We all much respect Cicero and Cato, but imagine they were the talk-show hosts of their times. The Rush Limbaughs. Wonder how things go so f'n wrong, yet? (I'm not even saying one way or another, as those two dudes go, but I always did find it suspicious that I theoretically read their own words in the Latin for six years...an all-star student... And couldn't make heads nor tails of the AP Latin exam. I had far bigger problems at the time, but it always bothered me. Why *was* that? Always bothered me, that. All that patting-on-the-head, 'You understand this 'great oratory,' ...then you're like, 'Wait a minute, why can't I understand Seneca?'

Answer, and it was pretty obvious: they'd had me spinning my wheels learning sanitized 'Church Latin' with a German accent. Telling me I had it cold, when it was just old 'newspeak'. One thing I'm smart enough to do is break the seal on a test and realize there's a whole language there that I was never intended to have a clue about.

Could be, some bullshit is just *old* bullshit. Demagoguery. I allowed myself to be flattered on that count one embarrassing time enough. I'm sure not going to buy it in my own native language.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-16-2011 at 09:44 PM.
12-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I read something a while back saying a large number of people are now getting their news from fake news shows (like Jon Stewart and of course i guess we need to include Fox News then )

In a time of universal deceit, he is a most excellent jester. Also has higher journalistic standards than the profession I once wanted to be part of.

12-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
In a time of universal deceit, he is a most excellent jester. Also has higher journalistic standards than the profession I once wanted to be part of.
that i will agree with
Closed Thread