Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lowe's Pulls Ads from TLC Show 'All-American Muslim'

Lowe's Pulls Ads from TLC Show 'All-American Muslim' - The Hollywood Reporter

12-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Banned

Check Out The Insanity on Lowe's Facebook Page Following Muslim Spat

QuoteQuote:
Lowe's has a giant headache this morning as its Facebook page has filled up with more than 9,000 comments from people aggressively debating whether the the big box home improvement retailer was right to pull its ads from All American Muslim, a reality show on TLC that shows Muslim families in Dearborn, Mich., going about their humdrum, non-terrorist lives.

A naive person might assume that Lowe's decision to advertise (or not) on a little-watched cable TV show was nobody's business but Lowe's.

But no.

It is, of course, a referendum on the very Soul of America. Are we a nation of god-fearing Christians who need to wake up the un-American Islamic threat? Or are we a nation of bigots who need to realize that a reality show about what it's like to live with your extended family when you're in your 30s is not a threat to the Constitution?
Check Out The Insanity on Lowe's Facebook Page Following Muslim Spat

QuoteQuote:
Hello David,

Thank you for contacting Lowe's. We work hard to listen to our customers and respond to their concerns. Lowe's has strict guidelines that govern the placement of our advertising. Our company advertises primarily in national, network prime-time television programs and on a variety of cable outlets. Lowe's constantly reviews advertising buys to make certain they are consistent with its policy guidelines.

While we continue to advertise on various cable networks, including TLC, there are certain programs that do not meet Lowe's advertising guidelines, including the show you brought to our attention. Lowe's will no longer be advertising on that program.

Our goal is to provide the best service, products and shopping environment in the home improvement industry. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with our advertising department as they evaluate future advertising opportunities.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-900-4650, or email execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to Lowe’s Companies, Mail Code CON8, 1605 Curtis Bridge Rd., Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28697.

Thank you,

Andrew
Lowe’s Executive Support
http://floridafamily.org/full_article.php?article_no=117
12-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
9,000 comments from people aggressively debating whether the the big box home improvement retailer was right to pull its ads from All American Muslim,
There are true racists out there. They're the ones that assume that absolutely anything that a person (or corporation) does is connected to the race of someone involved, not the circumstances.
12-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Racist or not, as a private corporation, Lowes is entitled to advertise or not advertise wherever they like. These is no censorship or 1st Amendment issue here.

Mike

12-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Banned

Iowa Focus Group on Obama Agrees: He's a Muslim

12-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Racist or not, as a private corporation, Lowes is entitled to advertise or not advertise wherever they like. These is no censorship or 1st Amendment issue here.
Mike
Absolutely right. It is actually a public corporation, and its duty to its shareholders is to advertise where it will sell. This is, nevertheless, the reason why we still need NPR and other outlets that don't depend upon advertising.
12-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Mike
and reap the consequences as well................gives me one more reason for not shopping there.........

12-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
and reap the consequences as well................gives me one more reason for not shopping there.........
Absolutely! I wouldn't do business with a company that is trying to make a profit and fulfill it's obligation to it's shareholders to maximize profits; especially if they are operating within the law and their rights. Oh the horror!

If they are "reaping the consequences" it's a good example of my post above. They must be pulling the ads because the show is about Muslims. (They probably didn't notice that when they signed the contract to advertise on a show titled "American Muslim"). After all, racism is the only conceivable reason for a company to pull advertising from a T.V. show, so that would be the logical assumption here.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-12-2011 at 02:56 PM.
12-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Absolutely! I wouldn't do business with a company that is trying to make a profit and fulfill it's obligation to it's shareholders to maximize profits; especially if they are operating within the law and their rights. Oh the horror!

If they are "reaping the consequences" it's a good example of my post above. They must be pulling the ads because the show is about Muslims. (They probably didn't notice that when they signed the contract to advertise on a show titled "American Muslim"). After all, racism is the only conceivable reason for a company to pull advertizing from a T.V. show' so that would be the logical assumption here.
QuoteQuote:
The conservative Florida Family Association in a statement said it has sent three email alerts, encouraging supporters to email advertisers on the show. "All-American Muslim is propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda’s clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values," it said.
A TV show that show Muslims as ordinary Americans. The Horrors!
12-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Mike
Absolutely. And I'm entitled to support local stores instead of giant corporations. Besides, I hate walking a mile to get something I need even if it is a few cents cheaper.
12-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

If they are "reaping the consequences" it's a good example of my post above. They must be pulling the ads because the show is about Muslims. (They probably didn't notice that when they signed the contract to advertise on a show titled "American Muslim"). After all, racism is the only conceivable reason for a company to pull advertizing from a T.V. show' so that would be the logical assumption here.
the logical assumption is they responded to complaints about it being advertised there and it blew up in their faces if you ask me. It doesn't take many idiots sending in complaints to get a company to look at something and say let's pull it.
Good PR for the show though, i imagine their numbers will go up from people looking to see what the furor is all about

the show BTW is a ripoff of a pretty successful Canadian show a friend of mine executive produces called little mosque on the prairie now in it's final season. originally they were slated to sell it to the same network who decided to do their own version
12-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A TV show that show Muslims as ordinary Americans. The Horrors!
Yes, and a company supports a worthy cause (like humanizing good Muslim citizens) even if it doesn't bring in all the bucks it could advertising with "The Bachelor" . . . the horrors!
12-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Yes, and a company supports a worthy cause (like humanizing good Muslim citizens) even if it doesn't bring in all the bucks it could advertising with "The Bachelor" . . . the horrors!
So did you send them a check to help offset the loss of revenue from the Lowe's pullout, or is benevolence only a good thing when it's somebody else's money?
12-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

So did you send them a check to help offset the loss of revenue from the Lowe's pullout, or is benevolence only a good thing when it's somebody else's money?
I send my checks to worthy causes, I can only hope other people do the same. And after all, aren't corporations "people"?
12-12-2011, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I wish everybody could just get along. I do not understand why this group was angry that Lows was advertising on the show (and am very disappointed that there are Americans that think that way). However, I do understand why Lows pulled the add. They were probably just trying to minimize controversy (though they seem to have failed). Americans should be angry at the group who made the demands, as they are the ones who seem to have problems with Muslims. I understand why people are angry at Lows, but I think it is silly (they were just making a business decision).
Closed Thread