Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seller Experience Poll

just for fun. to those who are involved on selling goods/items online, I would like to start a poll with their funny experiences with prospect buyers(?). you can choose two as the top prevalent trend that has happened. items are not restricted on photography equipment but general merchandise as well.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 12-13-2011 at 09:55 AM.
12-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Nigerian Scammers will definitely be #1
12-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

five posts and it's already turned into a pissing contest
12-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmmm, this thread seems to have ended and once again I'll probably be the last one to comment on it.

In seriousness, most of my online selling seems to go off without a hitch. I'm waiting to read other sellers experiences.

12-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, that was interesting.

Let's start over.

You may notice a few posts have been deleted. If it starts again, the thread is done.
12-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Well, that was interesting.

Let's start over.

You may notice a few posts have been deleted. If it starts again, the thread is done.
thanks. hopefully no poser derails it again.
12-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
for me, extreme lowballers.

the other thing is that buyer seems to be dictating the price more than the seller.

12-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i don't sell a lot but recent experience tells me lowballers are my biggest issue. on almost every item i recently listed on craigslist i was offered half what the most recent fleabay sales were for
I pulled the ad and will likely list some here or on fleabay
some i'll just keep because they aren't worth the hassle
12-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had good to great experiences with every completed sale, shipped to at least a dozen countries, with no trouble.

I've gotten a handful of low offers here, but I don't take offense. When I'm buying, I sure don't mind getting something for half what it's really worth, so why get upset at someone else trying to do the same thing? Besides, plenty of ads here are asking for twice as much as a lens is worth.
12-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree with the low-balling issue. The lens review database here on the forum averages the price people list, but you'll notice a good number of people don't enter a price. People are quick to broadcast a bargain, but are less likely to display a higher price paid, especially if the price is skewed with bargain basement finds. Pricing also doesn't take into account the variance in costs of items between countries.

The other issue I have is a lack of understanding between countries. Not to derail this thread regarding yet another Paypal rant, my last sale was accepted via Paypal, but Paypal charged me in the hundreds for the transaction. People presume US Paypal terms are the same for other countries, which they are not.
12-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Guilty of skewing the review pricing. I'm dead cheap and will hunt for bargains so have bought many lenses for $20 or less which skews even the $50 lenses downward

EDIT: I don't however lowball sellers here, I will ask for a modest discount if I think they have overvalued an item, but in general I find my steals places people don't know what they have
12-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I hunt for bargains too.... nothing wrong with that I just wish people would see the price section of the lens review for what it is.
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, I do have a slightly amusing story about that. I had a lens that I bought years ago from a terrible eBay listing, very cheap. I recently listed it here, then looked its review up and discovered my old review, including what I paid. Only 20% of the next lowest price - that doesn't make for a smooth chart.
12-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I hunt for bargains too.... nothing wrong with that I just wish people would see the price section of the lens review for what it is.
I totally agree with your comments about the price section (of the review section). I've made this comment in other posts as well, but using the "average" price as a basis for market price is pretty much useless. As was pointed out in this thread, people tend to report bargains they got and are a lot less likely to report times when they overpaid for a lens. Besides, with such a small number of entries (for most lenses), it's just too easy to skew the average.
12-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yep it does distort, I paid 16.50 for one m50 1.7 and 15 for the other. $25 for the S-tak 50 1.4, 13.46 for the 28 3.5, $20 for the m100 2.8. $14 something for the m200 f4. so i screwed up a few averages if i put up a review (i didn't on all of them). that's just off the top of my head for ones that stand out