Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Look at the Republican party and what's happening in Washington and the states.
That's precisely the problem for the tea party - people have looked at them and they don't like what they see.

12-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
That's precisely the problem for the tea party - people have looked at them and they don't like what they see.
couldn't have said it better. absolutely right.
12-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Too bad it is made to be a quite sinister, outlaw looking portrait. Is this a rendering from an actual photo? Then I suppose that wouldn't be as bad, but still, it is a pretty cliched look.
I think they tried to create a composite - wool knit cap, eyes that could be a man or woman, and a scarf/kerchief that could be seen in Egypt, Bahrain, and Occupy New York. A little sinister perhaps, and maybe a little outlaw, but that's kind of appropriate to the times I guess.

All in all, a good selection.
12-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
The Time cover is pointing to the progressive protests [only?]
I'm not so sure.

I think a good case can be made that on both the Left and Right the bottom 99 percent see their economic and political institutions as calcified and decadent, suffering from terminal senility and incapable of acting in the "public interest" however you want to define the public interest.

While the perception of the problem may be similar the two sides see the solution very differently and that's the dynamic driving politics right now. They both see themselves as fighting with their backs to the wall to maintain what they perceive as fundamental ethical and moral values that cannot be compromised. Not a good situation for an open democratic society.

My guess is that things are going to get a lot worse before they get any better.

Last edited by wildman; 12-16-2011 at 04:12 PM.
12-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think the "Protestor" that Time is recognizing has a lot more to do with those who helped change the Political landscape in North Africa and the Middle East than those playing drums on Wall Street at the moment.

Jason
12-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I think the "Protestor" that Time is recognizing has a lot more to do with those who helped change the Political landscape in North Africa and the Middle East than those playing drums on Wall Street at the moment.

Jason
Yes well, the OWS stands as much chance of succeeding as a truculent child has of getting candy from a closed confectionery. The top 1% holds all the cards, they have the keys for the store, so to speak, and they aren't about to give it up.
Since they also own the police and the politicians, the OWS really only operates at their sufferance, and as soon as the 1% tires of the sideshow, the sideshow will end.
By force.
The question is, by how much force. Will we see a repeat of Kent State, with trigger happy National Guardsmen opening fire on protesters who don't move fast enough or will they just keep pepper spraying people?
12-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

No idea, but I hope it doesn't turn into an ugly scene when it becomes entangled with the political circus the USA will see during 2012. If that happens, expect a bad scene sooner or later and a pretty bad taste in everyone's mouth.

If I were in that situation and occupying was my only focus for whatever the reason, I'd be occupying something near and dear to me, not chanting and camping in the square.

Jason

12-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I'd like to occupy a K-5 myself...

The thing is, the occupiers seem to have a good chance at screwing up Obama's re-election, and then we and they would end up with something far worse.
12-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'd like to occupy a K-5 myself...

The thing is, the occupiers seem to have a good chance at screwing up Obama's re-election, and then we and they would end up with something far worse.
The way the republicans are playing this election year, I'm hoping they are conspiring to give up complete control. If they truly want the democrats to crash and burn, why not give them complete control to ruin the country? What is the worst thing that could happen? Oh wait, what if they succeed and the country were to actually prosper...
12-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may have explained this elsewhere, but how do you think OWS have a chance at screwing up Obama's re-election? If anything, they have brought discussions of income inequality to the forefront and have launched a PR war on the 1%. I would think that would play into Democratic hands, with the only risks being 1) Activating the conservative base in response and 2) Convincing Progressives that Obama isn't progressive enough.
12-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
You may have explained this elsewhere, but how do you think OWS have a chance at screwing up Obama's re-election?
I'm thinking of something along the lines of '68 Chicago, occupy the Dem convention and have some idiotic police response - and/or what you say above
12-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #27
Pentaxian

There are protesters who have valid concerns and express their concerns in peaceful protest.

Then there are thugs who masquerade as protestors, but appear not to have valid concerns and spend there time at protests...involved in vandalism and theft.

The thugs give the legitimate protestors a bad image.