Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ron Paul is not Mitt Romney

So it looks like he might be the next anyone-but-Romney candidate and just in time with the Iowa caucus a couple weeks ago and hes always had a strong organization in the early primary states. His odds of finishing first or a close second are getting the media to actually provide some coverage so that their audience isn't caught by total surprise that none of the book tours they have been covering 24/7 for the past 6 months got out of the single digits. I saw he was on meet the press on Sunday morning but the interview was more David Gregory trying to ask him to comment on who Ron Paul thinks is the best candidate for the republican nomination other than Ron Paul.

QuoteQuote:
Even if Paul becomes the anyone-but-Romney candidate, Romney would still be favored to win the nomination; Ron Paul is a very principled and disciplined libertarian, which does not put him near the mainstream Republican platform.
How Ron Paul could win nomination | The Signal - Yahoo! News

I wonder what puts him outside of the "mainstream republican platform," his libertarianism or the fact that he is principled and disciplined...

Other than Perry he is the only one with a war chest to allow him to actually put up a fight against a multi-billionaire like Romney.

12-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
his libertarianism or the fact that he is principled and disciplined...
considering the three ring circus that the current GOP is, I would say the latter. I mean, how can you not think that the case, when the GOP hasn't publicly denounced all the insanity that all the current runners have displayed? if nothing else, they don't seem too concerned with just how crazy a lot of america thinks of them now. I think Ron Paul doesn't stand a chance of winning exactly because he is disciplined and indeed very intelligent. it doesn't matter what he's beliefs are in terms of government. him being a libertarian seems to matter little. what matters is that he likely can't be bent to the will of the party he's representing. they want someone who won't think on their own. or so it would seem. kind of makes you wonder why they DONT wholly endorse romney, as he seems to be the perfect puppet.
12-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

His ties to the White Supremacist and Militia movements makes him as unelectable as any of the others. The only reason he's still around is because the media ignores him. Jon Stewart loves the guy because of his anti-war / pro-narcotics positions but once the sheer lunacy of his other positions becomes clear I don't think he'll promote him as much.
12-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
His ties to the White Supremacist and Militia movements makes him as unelectable as any of the others. The only reason he's still around is because the media ignores him. Jon Stewart loves the guy because of his anti-war / pro-narcotics positions but once the sheer lunacy of his other positions becomes clear I don't think he'll promote him as much.
im not endorsing the guy personally, but as far as I know there has never been any credibly factual evidence linking him to any white supremacist group or militia movement. just a bunch of hearsay and propaganda from people who don't like him. if you are willing to back that up with some good evidence I will gladly accept that as a valid reason, but as of yet I haven't seen it and he has made very clear on many occasions his stance on racism. having personal ideals on the workings of civil rights laws doesn't absolutely equal a racist ideal either. the media ignores him because he's not a clown, as the media only cares about promoting the circus and further degrading the state of american politics. so as far as I see it, thats something Ron Paul has in his favour, even if he doesn't stand a chance of winning. I also don't believe john stewart promotes ron paul, I haven't seen any 'promotion' and I watch every episode, but maybe we have a different definition of the word in this context. saying he loves him is also a bit of a stretch. maybe saying he loves how ron paul comes off as intelligent and human compared to the field of clowns he stands with and how that makes for great comedy, could be accurate, but thats about it.

12-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
im not endorsing the guy personally, but as far as I know there has never been any credibly factual evidence linking him to any white supremacist group or militia movement. just a bunch of hearsay and propaganda from people who don't like him. if you are willing to back that up with some good evidence I will gladly accept that as a valid reason, but as of yet I haven't seen it and he has made very clear on many occasions his stance on racism. having personal ideals on the workings of civil rights laws doesn't absolutely equal a racist ideal either. the media ignores him because he's not a clown, as the media only cares about promoting the circus and further degrading the state of american politics. so as far as I see it, thats something Ron Paul has in his favour, even if he doesn't stand a chance of winning. I also don't believe john stewart promotes ron paul, I haven't seen any 'promotion' and I watch every episode, but maybe we have a different definition of the word in this context. saying he loves him is also a bit of a stretch. maybe saying he loves how ron paul comes off as intelligent and human compared to the field of clowns he stands with and how that makes for great comedy, could be accurate, but thats about it.
Is Ron Paul A White Supremacist? Absolutely! | Addicting Info

OPINION: Ron Paul Is A White Supremacist | News One

Ron Paul/Rand Paul Are White Supremacist! – Politics Anonymous

CPAC’s Boy, Ron Paul and That White Supremacist Connection Btx3's Blog

Ron Paul - The Deep Dark Details [PART 1] (Definitive PROOF that he is a racist, homophobic bigot!) : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Orcinus

The Case Against Gold: Why Ron Paul is Wrong About The Gold Standard by Gregory Hilton | The DC World Affairs Blog

Ron Paul?s America | The Emory Wheel

Ron Paul's money plan is far from golden - CNN

Indecision 2012 - ABC News GOP Debate - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 12/12/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

The Matzorian Candidate - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 12/08/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Indecision 2012 - No Really, They Can't Decide - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 11/17/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Last edited by boriscleto; 12-14-2011 at 03:30 PM.
12-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Banned

Ron Paul: Medicare and Medicaid are unconstitutional

Ron Paul: Medicare and Medicaid are unconstitutional | The State Column

The rich 1% are ok with that since they don't use it.
12-14-2011, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Banned

ha, I saw absolutely nothing in the first link that actually backs up your statement. white supremacist groups endorsing him does not equal him being racist, no matter how much we may not like white supremacist ideology. the letters issue from the publications has been brought up many times, and his stance has been the same every time. he didn't know. now, we could argue all day long about wether thats BS or not, but that still wouldn't prove that he himself holds those ideals, because there is no proof he wrote much less endorsed what was said in the publication on a personal ideal level. like I said, hearsay. as for the civil rights laws, I refer back to my first statement, in that his differing views on the civil rights laws due to his strict libertarianism does not equal racism. while I don't agree with all his views not being a libertarian myself, I fail to see how you can equate anything shown there to proof of rasicm. he even clearly stated that he wasn't against the doing away with the Jim Crow laws. since the remaining links probably cover mostly the same things, I didn't take the time to poke through them, but I probably will eventually. when I do, if I see anything that provides what I consider credible evidence, ill gladly change my opinion, and publicly say so. I think people have a hard time separating strict libertarianism from racism in a lot of issues pertaining to civil rights in the country and thats a product of the very liberal ideology that fueled and backed the civil rights actions in the 60's. the civil rights laws have a heavy liberal ideology no doubt about it and that clashes with libertarian ideals on some levels. that does not equal racist in the strictest definition. to me, liberals are attacking him on this issue solely because they can't separate their liberal ideals from civil rights ideals.

Last edited by séamuis; 12-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.
12-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
10 quotes directly from Ron Paul that make him sound incredibly racist, it’s hard to believe otherwise. Read the quotes for yourself, and see if you believe Ron Paul is a racist.

1. ‎”We don’t think a child of 13 should be held responsible as a man of 23. That’s true for most people, but black males age 13 who have been raised on the streets and who have joined criminal gangs are as big, strong, tough, scary and culpable as any adult and should be treated as such.”

2. “What else do we need to know about the political establishment than that it refuses to discuss the crimes that terrify Americans on grounds that doing so is racist? Why isn’t that true of complex embezzling, which is 100 percent white and Asian?”

3. ”Six-hundred-thousand Americans died in the senseless Civil War. No, he should not have gone to war. He did this just to enhance and get rid of the original tenet of the Republic.” -Regarding the Civil War

4. ”Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal. These aren’t my figures, that is the assumption you can gather from” the report.”

5. “Contrary to the claims of the supporters of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the sponsors of H.Res. 676, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 did not improve race relations or enhance freedom. Instead, the forced integration dictated by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 increased racial tensions while diminishing individual liberty.” -On the 40th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Act

6. “The Criminals who terrorize our cities – in riots and on every non-riot day – are not exclusively young black males, but they largely are.”

7. “I wouldn’t vote against getting rid of the Jim Crow laws.” -When asked if he would have voted for the Civil Rights Act.

8. “Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5 percent of blacks have sensible political opinions, i.e. support the free market, individual liberty and the end of welfare and affirmative action.”

9. “Immigrants can spread diseases for which we may have no immunity. There is also the question of crime and culture. Many immigrants come from countries with different legal structures and are not willing to behave in the way we expect American citizens to behave.”

10. “There is no such thing as a hate crime.”
12-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I also don't believe john stewart promotes ron paul, I haven't seen any 'promotion' and I watch every episode, but maybe we have a different definition of the word in this context. saying he loves him is also a bit of a stretch. maybe saying he loves how ron paul comes off as intelligent and human compared to the field of clowns he stands with and how that makes for great comedy, could be accurate, but thats about it.
Yeah, I think that Jon Stewart respects Ron Paul because he says what the believes, is consistent, and does raise some interesting points. However, I do not think Jon Stewart want Ron Paul to be president. I have similar feelings about Ron Paul. I am glad he is running because he provides a different perspective than any other republican (which is saying a lot), but I would be very worried if he became president.
12-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I guess you and I have very different ideals on what is racist. I dint find a single one of the comments blatantly racist and since we don't know the context of most of these, I will take the presentation at face value. now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I agree with his views or ideals, but using blacks specifically in the context that he did in those quotes does not constitute racism, nor was it necessarily blaming backs for being what he was inciting. for all we can gather he was blaming a screwed up system for them being the poster child if you will for what he thinks is wrong with america. is he somewhat intolerant? yea id say so, and I would argue that he pushes limits, but I just don't see what was blatantly racist there. the only one that stands out was the one concerning the Jim crow laws as I have read more than once that he was against them, but I could be mistaken. however, you don't know from that statement that he would have kept them due to racism or for keeping for his ideals of strict libertarianism. they can seem very closely related on some issues to anyone that is strongly liberal in their beliefs. I don't see racism, I see strict libertarianism with some intolerance but no outright racism. the only one that is truly cringe worthy is the last quote, but not even that is racist because hate crime encompass more than just race. doesn't justify such an ideal, but doesn't prove racism either. a clear lack of PC I think is displayed, but I'm not totally against that, especially nowadays when being PC is a fancy way of dodging issues and avoiding real ideals in the face of scrutiny. I respect his clear unapologetic non PC thought process. its honest and thats more than we can say for the rest of the candidates. he sticks to his values and thats that. but I don't see racist values.

you and I may just have to agree to disagree, because I suppose you think all these quotes are proof positive of it, but I just don't see it.

Last edited by séamuis; 12-14-2011 at 05:17 PM.
12-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Rude Pundit

QuoteQuote:
Ron Paul Ain't Nothin' to **** With:
Batshit insane Ron Paul, who, it should be noted, voted against the Martin Luther King holiday, voted for Bill Clinton's impeachment, and was the sole member of the House of Representatives to vote against giving the Congressional Gold Medal to Charles Schulz, is a man who can hold a mother****in' grudge. The one he's been nursing with his man-nipples against Newt Gingrich goes back to at least 1996. And that's the reason why he has decided to use the waning days of his ongoing quixotic campaign for president to savage Gingrich with an online and TV ad that paints the former Speaker of the House as a pathetic hypocrite who profited off his position in government.
QuoteQuote:
They're both nuts. They're just different flavors of nuts. For Paul, there's one guiding principle: "Don't spend any ****ing money." That's why he opposes wars. That's why he opposes almost everything, including programs to get teenagers off drugs. For Newt, it's all about centering as much power as possible in himself because he is so right in his rightness. It's a shit fight in a monkey house. And all you can do is watch the feces fly.
12-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cenk Ugyur, on The Young Turks, just said that if forced to pick from the current Republicans, he would pick Ron Paul. He only agrees with half of what he says, but just the chance that you might get that half is better than what you would get with any of the other Republicans. I think Jon Stewart puts Ron Paul in the same category.
12-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Other than Perry he is the only one with a war chest to allow him to actually put up a fight against a multi-billionaire like Romney.
According to CBS news today, Romney is worth between $190M - $250M (which is a lot by anyone's measure). How do you get "multi-billionare" out of this?
12-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A principled libertarian is not just a fiscal libertarian. A principled libertarian normally can't be a conservative with respect to social and cultural issues. Republican conservatism violates the principle of the equally compossible freedom of individuals in many ways. Normally, he should be pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, totally anti-war, pro legalization of light drugs, etc.--and, if I'm not mistaken, RP is all of these... Interestingly, he seems to be honest about them.

Last edited by causey; 12-15-2011 at 01:12 AM.
12-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
A principled libertarian is not just a fiscal libertarian. A principled libertarian normally can't be a conservative with respect to social and cultural issues. Republican conservatism violates the principle of the equally compossible freedom of individuals in many ways. Normally, he should be pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, totally anti-war, pro legalization of light drugs, etc.--and, if I'm not mistaken, RP is all of these... Interestingly, he seems to be honest about them.
Ron Paul is anti-war and pro legalization of narcotics, but he is anti-choice and anti-gay marriage. He passes it off as a "States Rights" issue which is just a dog whistle to the White Supremacist and Militia movements. He calls it the "We the People" act.

This is from 2007 but is still relevant.
Ron Paul's Record in Congress
Closed Thread