Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
thats a strange question, since hitler planned all along to attack Russia. the alliances with nations like Italy and Japan were just as much as a sham as the nonaggression pact with Russia. no sense in trying to figure out a different outcome. we can wonder how it would have happened if he had attacked sometime other than winter, but he was always going to attack.
I agree.
I think he attacked when he did, because he was unable to achieve air supremacy over the channel, to enable the sea-born invasion of England that he planned. Therefore he turned to Russia.
Cheers, Pickles.

12-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
I agree.
I think he attacked when he did, because he was unable to achieve air supremacy over the channel, to enable the sea-born invasion of England that he planned. Therefore he turned to Russia.
Cheers, Pickles.
If he had pushed on more to get UK before attacking Russia things would have looked differently.
The allies wouldn't had the UK as their base for their bombings and for operation Neptune, the next best thing would be Iceland or Africa.
The only question is how long would their oil reserve have lasted in this scenario?

And would the soviet uni have attacked the germans even if they weren't attacked, i doubt America and Canada would have come too short alone against the Germans and Japan.
Before you say we would have nuked Germany, don't forget they were also busy with an A-bomb. It could have been very ugly...
12-24-2011, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #228
Veteran Member

As I have posted, there is not much that I agree with in this thread.
Does anyone have ANYTHING of a POSITIVE nature or anything good to say about the U.S.A. & living in such a great Country?...without any cynicism, or sarcasm?
Cheers, Pickles.
12-24-2011, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #229
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I have posted, there is not much that I agree with in this thread.
Does anyone have ANYTHING of a POSITIVE nature or anything good to say about the U.S.A. & living in such a great Country?...without any cynicism, or sarcasm?
Cheers, Pickles
Absolutely! I for one love our country and while I do not support the worse government we have seen since the 70's, I do support and love my american brothers and sisters and will offer to lend a hand to help any american who is less fortunate than I am.

Merry Christmas and God Bless!!!!!!!

12-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Absolutely! I for one love our country and while I do not support the worse government we have seen since the 70's, .
That would have to be the Bush government. History will certainly bear witness to this. They took over after the booming Clinton years and left a charred hulk of an economy and the biggest foreign affairs disaster in forty years. All punctuated by the Republicans' horribly misguided, dysfunctional and shameful performance during the Obama Presidency.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-25-2011 at 05:47 AM.
12-25-2011, 04:43 AM   #231
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Absolutely! I for one love our country and while I do not support the worse government we have seen since the 70's, I do support and love my american brothers and sisters and will offer to lend a hand to help any american who is less fortunate than I am.
until they disagree with your views and you no longer consider them 'American', and tell them where the door is and how to use it.
12-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Do not listen to Rex much any more but some of Mercer's rant are right on the money IMHO. And some times a rant is about all you can respond to the self righteous.
Read Rex in the National Post.His essays are well thought out and considered. Mercer....his rants are tired...have been getting really old for more than a decade....needs fresher material or maybe to call it a day.

12-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #233
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Funny how nobody mention Russia, they also helped you know in WWII.
If Nazi Germany didn't attack them who knows what would have happened.
If you want to bring that up then also bring up the fact that they invaded Finland when they were still "friendly" with old Adolf, and the Finnish put a hurt on them.
12-25-2011, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #234
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
A true metric of America's generosity is how well it looks after it's own citizens. Education and health care come to mind or perhaps the then "heroes" who cleaned up 9/11 and are now left to deal with the serious health issues that resulted from that on their own. New Orleans anyone?
The education aspect is way over blown be many people. The fact of the matter is that the opportunities are there for an education in this country.
12-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #235
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by FlashCube Quote
The education aspect is way over blown be many people. The fact of the matter is that the opportunities are there for an education in this country.
thats about the broadest most uninformative view of our education system you could probably give.
12-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
There is an interesting opinion piece on CNN this morning that sums up something that many people in the world, and some on this forum, tend to forget while they rail against my country's involvement around the world. While they accuse us of imperialism and interference with other countries or just plain being "evil" they forget this one fact.

America the generous - CNN.com

And even though the quote is dated, it still holds true today... in spite of our own personal and institutional financial perils.

I'm not posting this by the way, to "toot our horn" but simply to point out that as much as we are abhorred around the world, we are always there to help when the sh*t hits the fan. It'd be nice if our detractors could at least admit that.

Mike

p.s. I'm not particularly or even generally a William Bennett fan but this time he hits the nail on the head.
Solzhenitsyn proved to be a liar and fool. Don't get his words too seriously.
I don't know about floods, but USA seems to be the first when someone needs some bombing LOL
BTW In Russia he said he hates USA
12-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #237
Veteran Member

Wow...."aggressor against the Soviets".....and there was no aggression from the USSR?.....and the West didn't need to "stand up"? we certainly have differing views there!
Some-one else (not you Audio)has said, "Kennedy nearly got us nuked"......well ya very well might've been if JFK hadn't "stood up" to the USSR at the time of the Cuban Missile crisis. He simply "called their bluff" & if aggression is called for in those situations, then I'm all for it.
Cheers, Pickles.
No, it wasn't. We always were defensive side right until the Afghanistan (the biggest mistake IMO).
It's the biggest mistake to think USSR were aggressor. Take a look how many aggression acts were made by americans. How many dictatorship were established in latin america with their help.
You must be blind not to notice these things. Especially today: Iraq, Libiya (there are many even more cruel dictators than Ghaddafi was all over the world. Unfortunatelly for him, those countries doesn't have so many oil resources and money — what about $200.000.000.000 of Libiya government where only $1.500.000.000 were given to rebel government?)
12-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #238
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
No, it wasn't. We always were defensive side right until the Afghanistan (the biggest mistake IMO).
It's the biggest mistake to think USSR were aggressor. Take a look how many aggression acts were made by americans. How many dictatorship were established in latin america with their help.
You must be blind not to notice these things. Especially today: Iraq, Libiya (there are many even more cruel dictators than Ghaddafi was all over the world. Unfortunatelly for him, those countries doesn't have so many oil resources and money — what about $200.000.000.000 of Libiya government where only $1.500.000.000 were given to rebel government?)
There is "state" giving and "citizen" giving... Maybe it is mostly propaganda but I see very little (or a lot less) private giving to people other than their own kind, coming out of the rest of the world inc. Russia..
Granted it is difficult and not very humane to criticize a country for lack of global charity or even helping their own kind (there are economic disparities to consider and system stimulus ie tax breaks) but I believe that peoples charities should be considered when "judging" a society. "we" don't always agree w/ our political policies be "we" do give a lot to the world and ourselves w/ few
strings attached..
To help educate me I would not mind you listing a few Russian based private charities that donate outside your borders.......
THIS link I assume is a bit harsh in it's criticism and is linked ONLY as a reference point......

Al Fin: The Largest Russian Charity Takes in $4.2 Million

counterpoint to the above but I fail to see much talk about "international giving"
Russian charities wrestle with suspicion and tax hikes | SOCIETY | The Moscow News
QuoteQuote:
Plans to free up more cash have been welcomed – albeit cautiously.

“It seems that they finally decided to Western experience and outsource social services non-profits,” Tulchinskaya said.

But she said it was important that these grants supported infrastructur projects, otherwise it would be nothing but a political campaign, as in previous election years.

The then plan was to give money from the budget to support individuals in need, which was “a complete nonsense”, as Tulchinskaya called it.

“The government should help its individual citizens through state-run social-facilities,” she said.

“Of course no-one says that there should be no help to particular people, but that should come from other sources,” she concluded.
Not exactly a "rosy" picture and mirrors some of our worst
"backward thinking"

One for your side.....
http://www.sponsorachild.org.uk/eastern-europe/sponsor-a-child-in-russia
http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/sponsor-a-child/europe/russia
QuoteQuote:
Since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, Russia has been striving to overcome the legacy of Communism. While there have been positive economic trends, the benefits are slow to filter down to ordinary people. Wages are low, inequality continues to rise and poverty is at significant levels, particularly among families with children or single-parent families, leading to many children being abandoned into state care or onto the streets
as a side and personal note:
Russia has all the resources, land mass, and educated thinkers to be like and compete w/ the US (and if you so choose to be better, well I see that as a possibility).. if it wasn't for the immense and deep rooted political and capitalistic corruption imbedded in it's framework..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-26-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Closed Thread